LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
CCGTO
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 17 y/o daughter just called me all excited and told me her friend at school just got a GTO just like mine. Anyone wanna take a bet on how long this one will last? I give it two months at the most. :bomb:

I also told her to stay out of it. :gto_rage:

·
GR-RRR!
5,512 Posts
Maybe you should offer to give it a free tune up and while you are at it pull two or three plug wires to slow him/her down a bit. If they complain about the idle quality tell them you found out it had a 3/4 race cam in it and that's just how they run. ;)

·
CCGTO
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All joking aside, I know this kid is into street racing and has already totaled a Honda. I'm sure this will go MUCH better for him. I'm going to try and talk some sense into him, but we all know how much we listed to "adults" when we were 17-18 y/o's. "What does that old man know?" I do have another Pontiac (Grand Prix GT). That kinda looks like a GTO from the front. Maybe I can talk him into trade. LOL

·
2006GTO M6 dd-drag-roadcourse
1,505 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
I can't tell you how many totaled muscle cars I seen totaled by 18 year olds when I was a field appraiser. I also never understood why in Gods name would parents buy little johnny or suzy a high performance sports car for their first car. Also driving a front wheel drive ricer is way different than driving a 400 horse rear wheel car with the mass that the GTO has. When my kid reaches driving age she's gonna get a 100 hp car not a 400 plus hp car. I would have a talk with said BF and let him know what will happen to his nether regions if he hurts your daughter while driving. I sincerly hope nothing ever happens to your kiddo, that is every parents worst nightmare.

·
CCGTO
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't tell you how many totaled muscle cars I seen totaled by 18 year olds when I was a field appraiser. I also never understood why in Gods name would parents buy little johnny or suzy a high performance sports car for their first car. Also driving a front wheel drive ricer is way different than driving a 400 horse rear wheel car with the mass that the GTO has. When my kid reaches driving age she's gonna get a 100 hp car not a 400 plus hp car. I would have a talk with said BF and let him know what will happen to his nether regions if he hurts your daughter while driving. I sincerly hope nothing ever happens to your kiddo, that is every parents worst nightmare.
EXACTLY!!! I just told my wife I didn't want her in that car with him either. This is what I got back:

It's not fast like yours
How she gonna go to prom then
Your being stupid

What do I know? :wtf2:

I can see this going to fun evening in the Eisel household tonight!

·
GR-RRR!
5,512 Posts
Fast enough to do a lot of damage. Even stock these cars can be a handful for even an experienced driver.

Show her a few photos of wrecked GTOs. Almost ALL of them have front end damage which should tell you something. Also, stress the fact that they have only two air bags.

At the very least, you SHOULD look the car over to see if it has been jacked with and that the ABS is working and that there is no air bag light on the dash. Any GTO cheap enough for a kid to buy (in most situations) is probably heavily abused and has a ton of miles on it.

·
GR-RRR!
5,512 Posts
I had a GTO as my first car, sold it and bought myself another one just recently.
I'm only 20.
I'm offended :(
Did you wreck the first one?

If not, you should not be offended, you are merely an anomaly.

·
Registered
242 Posts
EXACTLY!!! I just told my wife I didn't want her in that car with him either. This is what I got back:

It's not fast like yours
How she gonna go to prom then
Your being stupid

What do I know? :wtf2:

I can see this going to fun evening in the Eisel household tonight!
Well if the worry is about prom spring for a limo there and back. If I remember my prom in 1992 there was a lot of drinking going on. Alcohol + Any car= bad news. Yea she may not arrive to prom in a GTO but at least she'll arrive to the Eisel home safe and sound. I don't mean to be a buzzkill, hell I did a lot of crazy and insane stuff in my days (ask me why I have 1 arm) maybe 10 years of looking at wrecked cars and wrecked lives changed me, but one thing I do know when it comes to fast, powerful cars the margin for error is greatly reduced, and sometimes a small mistake turns into a major mistake in the blink of an eye, and there is no going back.

·
CCGTO
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fast enough to do a lot of damage. Even stock these cars can be a handful for even an experienced driver.

Show her a few photos of wrecked GTOs. Almost ALL of them have front end damage which should tell you something. Also, stress the fact that they have only two air bags.

At the very least, you SHOULD look the car over to see if it has been jacked with and that the ABS is working and that there is no air bag light on the dash. Any GTO cheap enough for a kid to buy (in most situations) is probably heavily abused and has a ton of miles on it.
Oh I'm sure he'll be bringing it over to show me. And yes, I will give it a good once over and check for all the usual suspects. Maybe I'll ask him if I can take my wife for a ride it since it's "stock" and not that fast. Maybe that will change her mind a little. :wub:

I had a GTO as my first car, sold it and bought myself another one just recently.
I'm only 20.
I'm offended :(
Well you my friend are the exception, not the normal. Good for you for driving like you have some sense and respecting the car! I bet you paid for that yourself as well?

·
CCGTO
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well if the worry is about prom spring for a limo there and back. If I remember my prom in 1992 there was a lot of drinking going on. Alcohol + Any car= bad news. Yea she may not arrive to prom in a GTO but at least she'll arrive to the Eisel home safe and sound.
All good points! The sad part is I actually have access to a limo that I drive for someone on the side. I offered to drive and they declined....

But then limos have wide, soft comfy seats, large enough to lie down on......

:wall:
... and maybe this why they didn't want "me" driving.

Just when I was starting to like you Rich.... :smack2: LOL!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Good thing my daughter is only 6. I still have 10 or more years before the car stuff starts being an issue. Right now she likes mommy's new beetle more because it has a sun roof.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Oh I'm sure he'll be bringing it over to show me. And yes, I will give it a good once over and check for all the usual suspects. Maybe I'll ask him if I can take my wife for a ride it since it's "stock" and not that fast. Maybe that will change her mind a little. :wub:

Well you my friend are the exception, not the normal. Good for you for driving like you have some sense and respecting the car! I bet you paid for that yourself as well?
Yessir, made me respect them a little bit more lol.
Good luck with the daughter!!

·
Registered
242 Posts

Agree 100% here is a link to one of the companies that insurance companies send totaled cars to, take a look of where the damage is
https://www.copart.com/vehicleFinderSearch/?displayStr=Pontiac,GTO,%5B2004%20TO%202006%5D&from=%2FvehicleFinder%2F&searchStr=%7B"MISC":%5B"lot_make_code:pON

·
Registered
757 Posts
Good thing my daughter is only 6. I still have 10 or more years before the car stuff starts being an issue. Right now she likes mommy's new beetle more because it has a sun roof.
You have about 6 yrs before the FUN begins. I have 5 granddaughters. Ranging from one due in July, one is 4,18 19 and a 25 yr old. Plus I grew up with an older sister. O the lies they tell. One advice I can give you. Don't believe them. Check on her then double check on her. It will be fun!!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts