LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Certified Noob
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my 2006 M6 PBM for a couple of months now and I do really appreciate it. However, I have some issues...
#1 It cramps my style when my kids want to go somewhere with me (waiting for the power seat movement, boosters not really sitting well in the buckets).
#2 Parts availability sucks (everything I've been able to purchase is listed as a legacy part and has to be ordered in from out of town somewhere if it is even available)
#3 I have to take my longest three golf clubs out of my bag to be able to fit it in the trunk.

I've wanted a late model GTO since they were announced back in 03 or whenever the official announcement was made, but I'm wondering if I perhaps made a mistake and should have gone with something more like a CTS-V (except I don't fit if it has a sunroof) or a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 to get what I originally wanted out of a GTO (except for auto trans in the SRT-8) for my current lifestyle.

I just spent a bunch of time washing it/claying it/washing it/polishing it, so I know the love (lust?) is still there, but I saw a post for a 2010 Grand Cherokee SRT-8 on another board tonight that got me thinking (roughly twice the price of my GTO tho as well).

oh yeah, the springs frustrate me. The Eibachs listed in my sig were removed because the backs were collapsed and now I swear the back is sagging with the stock springs as well...

Thoughts?

·
Registered Asshole
4,918 Posts
K

·
Registered Asshole
4,918 Posts
I

·
Registered Asshole
4,918 Posts
A

·
Administrator
20,335 Posts
If you dont like it, ditch it. Life is too short to put up with stuff you dont like. I love mine, but then again, I got no kids to drive around in it, and I hate golf, so there you are.

·
Certified Noob
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You'll have to excuse me for ignoring forums for 15 years while I had other things going on in life, so I don't quite get the K... I... A... three post chain from the "Registered A$$hole". Perhaps you can spell it out more specifically? Do you have some issue with somebody that buys a car they've lusted after for years on an impulse and then wishes for people that have owned theirs for years to give their honest advice?

·
Certified Noob
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you dont like it, ditch it. Life is too short to put up with stuff you dont like. I love mine, but then again, I got no kids to drive around in it, and I hate golf, so there you are.
That's the thing- I'm sure I'm grinning like a goofy teenager 90% of the time I get out of the GTO. I like it. I can take another car when I take the kids or go golfing, but I'm not sure where that leaves me being able to drive the GTO since I work from a home office... I'll be surprised if I put 1,000 miles on it this year with two non-typical trips halfway across the state.

I'd bet plenty of people went from a GTO to a CTS-V and are still active on the boards, ever hear of people regretting getting rid of their GTO for one?

I appreciate the honest feedback- I like it, but instead of "don't like" above, I'm in the position of deciding if it's "don't like enough." Figured GTO lovers that have lived more than two months with theirs would have good advice and I appreciate yours.

·
Certified Noob
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't get your jimmies rustled over it.
If you're unhappy with the car sell it and get something else.
Not specifically unhappy. I wouldn't have spent the weekend washing/claying/washing/waxing if I wasn't happy with the car. Man it looks great now (if I do say so myself). I'm going to run a few errands in a bit and there's no other car in the household I'd rather take (even though it seems like a great topless jeeping day- dang, if there was a GTO convertible...).

...or perhaps you folks are touching on something I'm not quite ready to admit- perhaps in not being 100% thrilled I could be happier in something else. I just don't want to make another impulse decision as I'm sure I paid too much for this GTO and will lose money on the sale if I decide to go that route.

·
Registered
303 Posts
but I'm not sure where that leaves me being able to drive the GTO since I work from a home office... I'll be surprised if I put 1,000 miles on it this year with two non-typical trips halfway across the state.
heres my take:
I really wanted a CTS-V because it would be my daily with a 2 yr old on occasion even though the wife has an suv.
But they were just a tad out of price range.

I traded in a 04 V8 Grand Cherokee for the Gto. I would LOVE an SRT-8 ...but the 10mpg and outrageous price is just not for me right now.

Seems as though this isnt your only daily? Ive driven all three. And they each have their own specialties.

An Srt-8 is great for pissing people off in races, and knowing that a loaded suv with kids and a car seat in the back will beat vettes when properly modded but of course $$$

the V i think is the perfect daily, 4 doors, 6 spd, ls2/6. So you really dont sacrifice anything for that car.

The GTO is an awesome daily as well, and gives the best driving experience. They are rare, you see plenty of crappy cts's and GC's out there. i Think you made the best purchase with a GTO, especially with those miles. prices will only stay stagnant and unlikely drop if your concerned about that. But of course get whatever you want man, hell Post up an ad trade a gto for a v and see what happens.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can understand this reasoning of wanting something that has replaceable parts handy. I always felt my car was a geographical oddity being 3 days away from the nearest parts no matter where I was with it.

Having just dumped 3 grand into the car for the first time this summer since I bought it new in 06. I felt a bit dejected too but I was upgrading the bad (suspension, brakes, driveshaft) with the parts the car should have had from the factory and its more fun to drive.

If you want a car that is easy to fix, mod, reliable and still somewhat fun to drive, get a WRX. If you want to take the boys out for a drive and watch them grin ear to ear, keep the GTO. My sons got into the GTO from the their recaro kids seats and kept telling me to go faster so they could hear the engine and exhaust. Then they gave me a picture of the GTO they drew. Kids dont draw pictures of a kia.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."

Its a pain in the ass, but that smile I get when Im behind the wheel and "daddy, can we take the geeeteeeoooh" for a ride?" that makes it all worth it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Buy CTS-V

Tune/pulley

Eat everything on the road

I'm trying to talk my wife into one so I don't have to sell the G8
I though Op was referring to the V1.

If you meant a new V yes, hands down get the V.

work truck: if she buys a cadillac you dont sell the pontiac?
and if she does not buy a cadillac you must sell?

i can dig it.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Lovells springs have been on my rear for years and still like new. Use the pass side seat to get in the back, the lever just pops it right away. Move most objects in the front pass seat since that seems to be the biggest part of the car. Lol

I feel you on the space issue. I like my car that is why I've owned it longer then the other dozens of cars I've had, but the lack of space really gets under my skin at times. I almost bought a roof rack. (But the look like poo IMO on these cars) just so I could have some space to move important objects like a keg.

·
Certified Noob
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good feedback, and I appreciate people taking me seriously.

The wife's daily would be either the Jeep (and we're looking at the unlimited/4 door) if the weather is nice or the Van if it's rainy or the suburban if it's snowy. She'd not go for a car of any sort right now I don't think. She's too obsessed with either top down jeep goodness or the van/suburban to drag our two kids and anybody else's # of kids to the park or wherever.

G8 would be interesting I suppose, but it also has the parts availability issues, right? It does have a bigger trunk (I believe) and the four doors...

Since I drive so infrequently, I can't imagine giving a darn about 10MPG. Half the time my suburban gets that (unless we're road-tripping, then it's 15-16), the Jeep gets 14-16MPG. 1,000 miles or less a year makes me worry less about MPG. Insurance costs more than gas for these beastly cars. :)

The concept of a "daily" for me is kind of strange as it's more a question of the utility of what I need at that point in time. Run to the post office and get a haircut, then any car applies and I take the GTO. Home Depot or Costco run? not as much so.

I've been debating tearing apart the suspension on the GTO yet again and go either Lovells or ...was it king?

...and yes, I was thinking I could spend a bit of time filling some typical dings in the paint and addressing some other cosmetic issues while I have the GTO up for sale and saving up a bit more for the 556HP LSA CTS-V if I went that route. Heck, I'm loony and would love to afford an M6 wagon CTS-V, but hard to find a used one without a sunroof and going new is stretching the budget considerably. I'd most likely have to convince the wife the CTS-V wagon would replace the van and she'd complain about the ease of getting kids in (big side doors on vans are cool) and the restriction to less people/kids. :) ...but yes, essentially keeping the GTO and getting a CTS-V as a 5th car and then getting the wife her Wrangler Unlimited as a 6th car really goes off the deep end, so if I got something other than the GTO, the GTO'd need to find a new home. I'm blessed with 3 garage bays (though one only fits the small jeep). Can't imagine dealing with 2x the number of cars as garage bays. :)

Again, thanks for honest opinions. I think I'll put some springs on my list and keep the GTO a bit longer and evaluate some more. I keep remembering going across I-70 and never leaving 6th gear where in the van and Jeep it's a constant downshift/whine operation (and even some in the suburban, though less of a whine).

·
Certified Noob
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
...oh yeah, and I don't fit in a WRX and the kids do beg for riding in the GTO. That's part of my issue- they like it so much I feel compelled to do the whole "wait for the seat" deal more often that I expected I would in my "toy"...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts