LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Certified Noob
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
One more thought I missed: How many people go for a "trade a GTO + cash for a CTS-V" kind of ad? ...not that I have near enough posts for people to believe I'm legit and not have my ad deleted. I'd have to go craigslist or something.

·
Monfort Lane
27 Posts
Not specifically unhappy. I wouldn't have spent the weekend washing/claying/washing/waxing if I wasn't happy with the car. Man it looks great now (if I do say so myself). I'm going to run a few errands in a bit and there's no other car in the household I'd rather take (even though it seems like a great topless jeeping day- dang, if there was a GTO convertible...).

...or perhaps you folks are touching on something I'm not quite ready to admit- perhaps in not being 100% thrilled I could be happier in something else. I just don't want to make another impulse decision as I'm sure I paid too much for this GTO and will lose money on the sale if I decide to go that route.
I've always viewed buying a vehicle as a sunk cost. I spend a lot of my time in the thing and working on it and always have with my vehicles. Though I suppose everyone has their vices, cars are mine. If I were you, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. As far as modding the car vs cutting losses and getting a different car, that comes down to personal preference. The GTO can be made to be reliable and a beast, but it'll cost some bones just like any other car out there.

The reason I picked up a GTO was the subtle (sort of) looks and the performance. Are there faster cars out there? Yes. Are there more boring looks out there? Yes. I find it to be the perfect blend of boring, subtle and powerful.

Back to your situation. I'd say keep it and mod it to your liking. Springs and struts ain't all that bad to change and get to your preference. However, if you do look to switch, I'd strongly urge to look at a G8. Earlier you mentioned that the parts availability was a concern. For the G8, some parts are shared with the Camaro and others with the Caprice/SS sedan. Parts for the G8 won't be as hard to find in the future as the GTO.

Or you could do the KIA or 5.0 thing everyone else seems to do.

·
Certified Noob
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Get Lovells, Kings will be to stiff for your liking.

What parts are you having trouble sourcing?
Don't mind stiff specifically- I'd like to get back into autocrossing hopefully and since there's Kooks headers on it, I'm not in a stock class anymore anyhow...

So far, various bolts/nuts that are the types that are supposed to be replaced when removed in the suspension. They're either like $6 per nut or not available anymore.

·
Certified Noob
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Best I can tell from doing a search and trying to make sense of the results, the "KIA" reference is somebody telling somebody else they basically don't deserve their GTO? I forgot about the car manufacturer and thought somebody was referencing Killed In Action or something. Yeah, I know somebody with a Hyundai, so I would have caught that, but I don't know anybody with a KIA, so I didn't even think about it relating to cars. Fun stuff.

...and as for the mod route, that's an interesting concept. I sunk over $10,000 into my old 1999 GTP before I made it totally unreliable, so I'm not necessarily looking to sink too much in this soon. Perhaps some sort of boost would be in my GTOs future if I still have it in a year or two. To be honest, if I was going to address low power in any of my vehicles, it'd be the Jeep's 4.0L i6 that got attention first. :lol:

·
GTO 06
305 Posts
I take it kids entered the picture since you first wanted a GTO. I tell my 4 grandkids the GTO does not have a back seat. I am fortunate enough to have other vehicles to use.
Modding the GTO is a great pleasure - many excellent parts and suppliers available - fixing the broken stuff not so much.

·
Certified Noob
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I take it kids entered the picture since you first wanted a GTO. I tell my 4 grandkids the GTO does not have a back seat. I am fortunate enough to have other vehicles to use.
Modding the GTO is a great pleasure - many excellent parts and suppliers available - fixing the broken stuff not so much.
Yeah, pretty much nailed it. 4 and 6 yr old.

·
Certified Noob
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
...actually, didn't play golf then, either. I did work on my own cars back then, but my garage is much better stocked for that task now. :lol:

·
Here for the Gangbang
2,124 Posts
Best I can tell from doing a search and trying to make sense of the results, the "KIA" reference is somebody telling somebody else they basically don't deserve their GTO? I forgot about the car manufacturer and thought somebody was referencing Killed In Action or something. Yeah, I know somebody with a Hyundai, so I would have caught that, but I don't know anybody with a KIA, so I didn't even think about it relating to cars. Fun stuff.
It's an inside joke. A few years back, there was a member that traded his GTO for a C6 Corvette - way too much car for his budget.

When it came time to put tires on the Corvette, he traded it in on a Kia and took a massive hit on the negative equity.

The rest, as they say, is history.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
jeep srt8's suck..stay away from em

·
Certified Noob
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
jeep srt8's suck..stay away from em
To be honest, I've not been a fan of the Grand Cherokees since they made the windows so danged small, but something about a more upright seating position in a vehicle that can still haul (both gear and rear) seemed like a good thing to think more about. I mean, I really need that CTS-V Sport Wagon without a sunroof, but I think I read somewhere they've only sold like 430 of the wagons in the couple of years they've offered them, so the used market is virtually nil.

I've certainly decided I've got to go try High Planes Raceway, Bandimere and look into the Rocky Mountain SCCA for Solo II autocrossing to rekindle my love of participating in these types of events and with a bit more targeted rubber for these events, I'm sure I'll have a blast (well, I'll probably need to figure out my spring questions as well).

Thanks for the KIA explanation. I quit financing cars (unless I got a 0 percent offer, and even then I had to be able to buy the car outright if I didn't decide to take the free money) a while back, so I hope I don't find myself in that situation anytime soon.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts