LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,460 Posts
We have an 8 qt. We live at 9600 ft. It is great for when we forget to defrost something. Cooked two frozen corned beefs in about 45 minutes yesterday. Cook some rice casserole dishes in it regularly. It is good for cooking a whole chicken, if you plan to do something else with it after, like shred it and then add it to an enchilada. We have cooked a few Indian dishes like saag in it. Basically if you normally slow cook it, you can Insta Pot it. Life changing, no. Use it weekly, yes, if you are a weekly user of a slow cooker.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I’ve been looking at these for a while, but I think I might pick up the Ninja Foodi instead.
I looked at that but I like the instapot instead.

1 - removable, replaceable SS cooking pot

2) removeable, replaceable - silicone seals that are dishwasher safe.

So as I've read a few things and talked to some that own various items. One thing cleaning the cook pot - it has to be SS and it has to come out of the machine. check.

Seals - apparently they can and will take on the smells of whatever is cooked in there. Some machines (brevelle for example) come with extra color coded seals so you do tomato stuff with the pink seal etc etc.

Those 2 things and the way the instapot releases the pressure are what has leaned me over to that brand.

We have an 8 qt. We live at 9600 ft. It is great for when we forget to defrost something. Cooked two frozen corned beefs in about 45 minutes yesterday. Cook some rice casserole dishes in it regularly. It is good for cooking a whole chicken, if you plan to do something else with it after, like shred it and then add it to an enchilada. We have cooked a few Indian dishes like saag in it. Basically if you normally slow cook it, you can Insta Pot it. Life changing, no. Use it weekly, yes, if you are a weekly user of a slow cooker.
we use a crockpot weekly so that's part of why I'm convinced to get one. and some of the things I have seens say there are many meal preps you can do in under 30 minutes. 2 of our common crock pot recipes have instapot crossovers - and both are an under 40 minute affair. Which is good because we sometimes forget to get up early enough to run said crockpot.

I fully plan on making stocks with it.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I looked at that but I like the instapot instead.

1 - removable, replaceable SS cooking pot

2) removeable, replaceable - silicone seals that are dishwasher safe.

So as I've read a few things and talked to some that own various items. One thing cleaning the cook pot - it has to be SS and it has to come out of the machine. check.

Seals - apparently they can and will take on the smells of whatever is cooked in there. Some machines (brevelle for example) come with extra color coded seals so you do tomato stuff with the pink seal etc etc.

Those 2 things and the way the instapot releases the pressure are what has leaned me over to that brand.
I bit the bullet and bought the Foodi from Sam’s Club. I’ve only done one meal in it (hot wings), but so far I really like it. The dishwasher safe, non-stick pot is one of the things I like better about the Foodi. The silicone seal is also removable.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The non-stick bit was my bigger detractor - I know they claim dishwasher safe but I've never seen non-stick survive multiple years in a dishwasher.

I know it can happen I guess - but it's a concern I have. If like our crockpot I expect it to get alot of use, hence my desire for SS

·
1 of 40,757
6,299 Posts
We have the Instapot DUO60 6qt model which has the removable stainless steel pot. Cleans up fine even after a heavy saute. The seals do carry the smell of whatever you last cooked. Bought a blue and red one. Red for meats, blue for everything else.

·
Hell pecker yeah
7,260 Posts
I received a Ninja Instant Cooker for Christmas. I've used it about six times so far for steaming veggies, cooking rice, and making pulled pork. It's ridiculous how easy everything is and clean up is super easy with the non-stick, removable pot. The silicone ring is removable as well. It even came with a second ring to use with dessert (non-savory) items so it doesn't cross-flavor.

Over all I'm happy with it, other than taking up counter space because I don't have anywhere else convenient to store it. (Small rental house kitchen)

·
Administrator
9,488 Posts
Bought a Ninja Foodi this week... should be getting it delivered soon. My selling point is that it was a pressure cooker + air fryer in one. I will report back my findings.

·
Administrator
20,264 Posts
g/f likes to cook with the insta-pot. Its faster that's for sure. Also reduces the chances of things being over-cooked which she tends to do. I haven't used it yet.

·
DW can't take a J... or a D
2,226 Posts
Bought a Ninja Foodi this week... should be getting it delivered soon. My selling point is that it was a pressure cooker + air fryer in one. I will report back my findings.
How's this working out for you? The instantpot chirping has increased around the VGT household.

·
Registered
21,503 Posts
instapot - i think my wife has shifted 70% of cooking to instapot.

Rice for kids - instapot
Pasta - for kids - Instapot
Mac n cheese - Instrapot
Yogurt - Instapot
porridge - Instapot
Curry chicken - instapot
Any lentil (Dal Makhani) - Instapot
Most indian veggies - Instapot

^ to name a few.

I think she has three, all different sizes. She also has sold the concept to almost everyone we know (who has kids)..

Biggest deal is the convenience of walking away from it to handle kids and not worrying about the food burning to hell.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
how many kids are you up to now?

WHen did you get an SS - long time no see I suppose.

·
Registered
21,503 Posts
how many kids are you up to now?

WHen did you get an SS - long time no see I suppose.
3 boys and wife is pregnant with one.. :lol:

SS was July 4th weekend in 2017. 4k miles since then :bomb:

Started travelling a lot (20 plus nights, 6-8 flights, 10-14 rental car days a months) for work, and 2 out of 4 cars barely get driven /started.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts