LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to one service manager today and he said any modification that I do to the engine will void the warranty on the Engine, Trans, Driveline and Rearend.

I talked to another service manager at another dealer and he said the same thing but I added if I bought GMPP and had them install the parts would he void the warranty and he said NO.

Make sure you call around.

Time to get some info on GMPP heads and cams now.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
So what constitutes a mod? Is changing the air filter from OEM to a K&N (not even to a CAI, just the filter) enough? What about changing the MAF<->TB pipe? We need some clarification. I have a really hard time believing they can say any mod voids your warranty completely given all the consumer protection laws that are out there.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
i would ask him if he has hear of the magnuson moss act. give him the website. see what he says then

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Gmpp

speed_demon_freak said:
I talked to one service manager today and he said any modification that I do to the engine will void the warranty on the Engine, Trans, Driveline and Rearend.

I talked to another service manager at another dealer and he said the same thing but I added if I bought GMPP and had them install the parts would he void the warranty and he said NO.

IF you decide to do the GMPP Heads and Cam you might as well go for the CNC ported LS6 head assemblies rather than the stock LS6 assemblies. A lot of the aftermarket folks start with these then trick 'em up a little more... ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
What is the web site for the magnuson moss act?

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Check your warrancy clause

speed_demon_freak said:

A blanket statement by the dealer that if modded the warranty is void is
not acceptable, UNLESS the warranty states in it that aftermarket mods
of any kind void the warranty. If this is not in the warranty, then any problem with your car must have been caused by the modding. If not, warranty is intact. This is law. I would imagine though that companies
are now adding the aftermarket clause in their warranties. I am not sure
in the GTO's case. I'll do some checking, or maybe someone already knows
what the warranty says.

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
this could be difficult with headers and exhaust
My service manager said headers would be fine, just leave the cats.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
JayStew said:
My service manager said headers would be fine, just leave the cats.

did he mean that you cannot replace the stock cats or that you cannot even move them?

b/c according to LS1speed, headers require that the cats be relocated.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
At least in California, the law goes that stock cats must remain with the vehicle unless they are damaged. Damn pollution control laws. Sometimes I hate this state.

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
did he mean that you cannot replace the stock cats or that you cannot even move them?

b/c according to LS1speed, headers require that the cats be relocated.
You can relocate, just don't remove.

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
JayStew said:
You can relocate, just don't remove.
That would be illegal. If you want to remain legal in the eyes of the law, cat(s) have to stay in the original location.

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
Rob said:
That would be illegal. If you want to remain legal in the eyes of the law, cat(s) have to stay in the original location.
What I mean is, If I keep the stock cats the service manager said that he would honor my warranty. He knows that they will have to be moved. He even encouraged the mod.

·
2,432 Posts
Some service managers don't know the correct answer to a question like that. My service manager will actually listen to what mod I'm doing and tell me what parts it could void the warranty on. No blaket statements either. So far he is fine with everything I've done.

·
U.S. Army Retired
682 Posts
Old Goat said:
IF you decide to do the GMPP Heads and Cam you might as well go for the CNC ported LS6 head assemblies rather than the stock LS6 assemblies. A lot of the aftermarket folks start with these then trick 'em up a little more... ;)
Do you have the P/Ns for the Heads & Cam? I am thinking about doing the swap. :D

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
12565308 - 02/03 LS6 production cam Performance part number.
204*/218*@.050, .550/.550. 117.5* LSA (In Autocross Version)

12564824 LS6 Head (On Autocross version)
This cylinder head is used on 2002 Corvettes with 405 HP RPO LS6. The LS6 cylinder head can be used on any Gen 3 design V8 block. This LS6 head is emission legal on the 2002-2003 Corvette only. It includes the following items: 12564825 Head - Bare 12565313 Valve Spring 10166344 Cap, Valve Spring, capable of 550" lift cam 12565311 Valve, Intake, light weight 12565312 Valve, Exhaust, light weight, sodium filled, hollow stem 10166345 Key, Valve Stem 12482063 Oil Seal, Intake 12482062 Oil Seal, Exhaust

88958665 Head, LS6, CNC ported, 65cc chamber, 10.5:1 CR, loaded with premium hollow stem SS valves, Cr-Si ovate wire valve springs, and other production components these heads will support 500+ HP.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Rob said:
You could probably pass a visual inspection by putting the stock cat's in place of the resonators and hoping that either somebody didn't care enough to look it up or convincing them that it's the stock cat location.
You would still need O2 SIMS.
Not that I'm advocating anything illegal ;)
Dan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts