LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Torrid Goat
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and searched but I'm getting more and more confused. My '06
M6 has about 1500mi on it. Several times I've tried to "light up" my tires from a standing start. My best friend used to own a 67 GTO so naturally I thought I would show him what a real beast would do. I made sure that the traction concrol (TC) button was turned off. All I got was a chirp and a scruff. Not the response I would expect from a 400hp beastie.

Since I can turn off traction control, I figure it must be in the traction management module that I've read about in other threads. Does this sound right? If this is the case, how do I get the TM turned off?

TG

·
Registered
995 Posts
TM has to be deleted out of the pcm with either ls2edit or hptuner. That has nothing to do with you not being able to "light them up" as you say! TM, pulls timing in between shifts.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Just bleed the clutch a little, you can do this on 2-3 as well. Trust me you don't need to edit anything except your feet with an M6. Are you just dropping it at a certain rpm then bogging? Just get a little more aggressive. I think the advice above is for people with those m4 thingies...

You can light up a stock M6 for 100ft if you wanted...More cow bell!!!

If you get any clutch odor, then you are bleeding it too much.

·
Torrid Goat
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
light em up

Nemisis,

So your saying that TM has nothing to do with "lighting em up" in first gear. It only comes into play in second gear through six? Why am I getting such a lame response from the line? I've tried it on several different surfaces. Yesterday I tried it on an asphalt surface with what looked like a sand aggregate. Same thing. Maybe I could "light em up" on a dirt road?

TG

·
Registered
995 Posts
You may want to do a search on this to better clarify as I do not know 100% what it entails. All I do know is that it it pulls timing between shifts on the M6 and A4 to save wear and tear on the drivetrain. It shouldn't be pulling timing while it is in gear or while your trying to launch and spin the tires. I don't know what the problem would be, spinning the tires in a M6 should should be pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
52 Posts
RPMs should be at about 4 1/2 to 5k then drop the clutch. watch the RPMs tho so you dont redline, a little right foot modulation will prevent that but dont let it fall below 5 otherwise it will just take off. if you drop at anything under 4 you will just leave a baby stripe and take off. car and driver did a right up on the art of the burnout and they used a 05 yellow M6 GTO. its got all the steps you need if there is any questions.

record burnout was 200+ feet with a lil help from the brake :gears:

·
ELESTOO
695 Posts
There is no reason that you can't light up your tires, other than you being worried about damage. Stop being gentle with it. She will take one hell of a flogging and give no problems. Hold the throttle to 5K and feather out the clutch. They will spin.

On another note... There is no proof that Torque Management (TM) is even enabled on the M6. It is in the software, but probably doesn't do anything. I have mine turned off and it acts no differently than any of my freind's cars. It is a real issue with the A4's.

·
I'm gonna get you!
2,812 Posts
TM isn't stopping you. you just need to learn to drive it.

·
Torrid Goat
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies.

I may not have been above 5000rpm when I popped the clutch but it has yet to spin the tires, even in 2nd and I shift between 5500 and 6000. It will chirp the tires but come nowhere near "sideways". I really thought 400HP would lite em up without a lot of effort. It feels like it just spins for a half second and then the engine RPMs drop along with power and then the power comes on stronger as the RPMs go up.

TG

·
I'm gonna get you!
2,812 Posts
I can burn well into third without going near 5k.

·
Resident SVT Defender
906 Posts
I almost sounds like your t/c button in reversed, when you think it's off, it's actually on?!?

·
I'm gonna get you!
2,812 Posts
It's all in how you give it gas and clutch. Let a local member show you how. You also have to remember that this GTO is more likley to hook than the old ones.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Don't "pop" the clutch, Feather it out, i.e slip it, milk it, whatever you want to call it. If you pop/dump it you will just get a chirp. Feather it out and apply more gas if needed to keep your rpm's up.:gears:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Torrid Goat said:
Thanks for the replies.

It feels like it just spins for a half second and then the engine RPMs drop along with power...

TG
This is called bogging. See previous posts. Hope you are practicing somewhere safe.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I noticed the same thing but after about 3500 miles and a batch of cool morning air...Holy cow!!! Give it some mileage and wait for some cooler weather which should happen for you sooner than me....and you will :burnout:

·
2 Goat family
435 Posts
Don't get me wrong, you should be able to boil those tires pretty good right out of the box. But I can say that the factory tune tends to open the throttle gradually and that is why it feels like it's bogging and not giving you a nice satisfying burnout. Just bring the RPM's up some, dump the clutch, and stomp on the gas as you do so. You be scraping rubber out of your wells before you know it. These cars don't need to be babied, they like it rough.

·
Torrid Goat
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Burn out!

Yahoo!

Thanks for all the advice guys. I went out yesterday on a straight road with no traffic determined to get my "burnout". I put the RPM about 4500 to 5000 and popped the clutch and mashed the gas hard. It left a dark rubber trail for about 20 feet and even popped a little sideways in second.

Life is good.

TG

1 - 20 of 23 Posts