LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
CCGTO
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone in the area happen to have a Tech 2 scanner? I live the Severn, MD area and am having "car start" problems. Security lock is flashing on dash and has killed everything. The key won't even pop the trunk. I tried my spare and that one won't work either. Ordered a new key fob from GTOG8TA.com and should be here tomorrow just to see if that would work.

You can get in the car and turn the key to on and everything works except to actually start the car (won't even click) which is leading me to believe its a dead key? You can manually unlock/lock the doors, but not remotely.

Also tried disconnecting/reconnecting battery and noticed that you don't even get that "sparking" when you reconnect the pos terminal on the battery (which is fully charged).

HELP! :banghead:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had a car with similar problems and it was the BCM went bad. You might also want to check the wires behind the passenger dash as there's a spot they can rub thru on the dash framework.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,135 Posts
That's a real bummer. When did this start happening and was there any noticeable potential cause?

I don't have a Tech 2 but If a HP Tuners can help I have one up here in Northern Baltimore county.

·
CCGTO
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drove it to a shop in Easton (Wild Hare Customs) to have them redo the car for this year (color change). Drove fine all the way there and parked in their garage Sunday evening (yep, they came and met me after hours to drop it off, good people). He called me Tuesday and said when they went to move it out of their shop, it wouldn't start. The only thing they had done prior to that is put the key in the ignition and rolled it about 10 ft.. I couple months back I had the same thing happen in my driveway, but I was able to take my other fob and unlock it and start it and then the other key worked fine. So I figured the same thing was going on, except this time the neither key worked/will work. I'm thinking that both key fobs are dead as you can't even pop the trunk with the fob. Is that thinking correct?

Also, something similar happened when we were tuning the car last year (with HP Tuners). My buddy was able to reflash the computer and it worked. He's coming up on Saturday to "troubleshoot", but asked if I knew anyone with a Tech 2 in case we need to "relink the pcm and bcm".

·
CCGTO
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW! What a stupid oversight by someone! I pulled the glove box out (breaking that little plastic clip on the right in the process. The car is probably totaled now.) and checked those BCM wires. They tape was rubbed through and was just starting to get into the wires, but not all the way through yet. I taped them back up and put a piece of rubber between them and the metal frame.

That was a good catch... but didn't help the "no start" situation. :banghead:

So I wonder how much that plastic clip will cost/if it's still even available. You probably have to buy an entire glove box/assembly to get it.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
breaking that little plastic clip on the right in the process. The car is probably totaled now
I lost it when I got to this part haha. Yep probably totaled, better part it out. :cool:

·
CCGTO
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice! Thanks! That's not bad at all! At least some good news came out of this!

I lost it when I got to this part haha. Yep probably totaled, better part it out. :cool:
Yeah, when that happened, I started laughing like Tom Hanks did in "The Money Pit" when he was filling up the tub with water and it fell through the floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdYPxFMhEkE

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I saw the clips at the GMpartshouse.com website .

·
Registered
93 Posts
Drove it to a shop in Easton (Wild Hare Customs) to have them redo the car for this year (color change). Drove fine all the way there and parked in their garage Sunday evening (yep, they came and met me after hours to drop it off, good people). He called me Tuesday and said when they went to move it out of their shop, it wouldn't start. The only thing they had done prior to that is put the key in the ignition and rolled it about 10 ft.. I couple months back I had the same thing happen in my driveway, but I was able to take my other fob and unlock it and start it and then the other key worked fine. So I figured the same thing was going on, except this time the neither key worked/will work. I'm thinking that both key fobs are dead as you can't even pop the trunk with the fob. Is that thinking correct?

Also, something similar happened when we were tuning the car last year (with HP Tuners). My buddy was able to reflash the computer and it worked. He's coming up on Saturday to "troubleshoot", but asked if I knew anyone with a Tech 2 in case we need to "relink the pcm and bcm".
Color change? Don't keep us in suspense...

·
Registered
910 Posts
Do you have the shop manual? Its pretty easy to start blaming BCM etc but it sounds like a basic security issue and I hate to say it, sounds like some one was boogering with it and didnt know how comprehensive the security is.
Does it show any DTCs when you turn the ignition on? Trying to start it with a dead key should throw a code, P0513 or P0633 IRC

·
CCGTO
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have the shop manual? Its pretty easy to start blaming BCM etc but it sounds like a basic security issue and I hate to say it, sounds like some one was boogering with it and didnt know how comprehensive the security is.
Does it show any DTCs when you turn the ignition on? Trying to start it with a dead key should throw a code, P0513 or P0633 IRC
Yep, I have the manuals. Is there something in them about troubleshooting this? Yeah, I think the paint shop forgot what I told them about unlocking the car before you try to start it, even if it's unlocked. This was "feature" that started working after I had the ignition replaced a few years ago.

No codes showing on the dash when I turn the ignition on. A friend of mine is coming over in the morning to attempt to troubleshoot with me. Are you busy in the morning? :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
yes the manual has trouble shooting...biggest issue is that they assume you have that Tech2. BUT the proceedures are helpful even without the Tech2.

Maybe I can be your backup team, if needed, but my plan was to get an hour or two of work in tomorrow morning to get my front end mounted which will then allow me to actually drive my car. Last year sucked as I only ended up with a few hundred miles on the car. After a lot of hard to come by spare time and another $2k I'm really looking forward to testing and hopefully enjoying my totally aftermarket steering system. At this point I havent driven it in 8 months...

Yep, I have the manuals. Is there something in them about troubleshooting this? Yeah, I think the paint shop forgot what I told them about unlocking the car before you try to start it, even if it's unlocked. This was "feature" that started working after I had the ignition replaced a few years ago.

No codes showing on the dash when I turn the ignition on. A friend of mine is coming over in the morning to attempt to troubleshoot with me. Are you busy in the morning? :)

·
CCGTO
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes the manual has trouble shooting...biggest issue is that they assume you have that Tech2. BUT the proceedures are helpful even without the Tech2.

Maybe I can be your backup team, if needed, but my plan was to get an hour or two of work in tomorrow morning to get my front end mounted which will then allow me to actually drive my car. Last year sucked as I only ended up with a few hundred miles on the car. After a lot of hard to come by spare time and another $2k I'm really looking forward to testing and hopefully enjoying my totally aftermarket steering system. At this point I havent driven it in 8 months...
Thanks for the heads up on that. I'll take a look at them.

N/P on time. I totally understand that! This just happened at a really sucky time as we're supposed to be heading to GA for the 1/2 mile shootout on Tuesday. I've been following your thread on the new steering system as well. Nice work! Hopefully we'll get this figured out tomorrow! :turbonaug

·
CCGTO
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: Friend of mine that tuned the car came up today with his laptop loaded with HP Tuners and was able to pull code P1632. Long story short, he was able to disable all the security and got the car started. The lock light is still flashing on the dash and key still does not work to lock/unlock the car and open the trunk. The button to pop the trunk in the glove box is disabled as well. From talking to some people today, I'm leaning towards bad key (which I got a new fob in the mail today) or bad ignition switch (apparently there is something in there that reads the key).

·
Registered
910 Posts
1632 is theft deterent start disable code received (Page 11-108 in service manual). BCM interogates key for code using the metal ring around the key as the contact. So not in the ignition switch per se. If the engine started but quit after 5 seconds it would likely be the ignition switch, as no slip ring contact allows starting but sets B0025 code and then turns off. It will probably allow starting again after 5 sec. of off time. Cant say why you got the 1632 as any of the 3 electronic modules can cause it, but logic says with a 5-10 year life the fob is a good suspect.
Turns out my step daughter from Australia is going to be here for mothers days so other than driving the goat I'm not likely to be able to come help.

·
CCGTO
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update #2. Stopped by the stealership today and had the fob tested. Fob tested good.

Headed to GA tomorrow and troubleshoot further when I return. Hoping to go close to 150mph in the 1/2 mile down there! Went 143mph at VA last year and that was spinning through 1st, 2nd, and loose in 3rd. Have some sticky's on the car now and was holding 2nd on the street over the weekend.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Update #2. Stopped by the stealership today and had the fob tested. Fob tested good.

Headed to GA tomorrow and troubleshoot further when I return. Hoping to go close to 150mph in the 1/2 mile down there! Went 143mph at VA last year and that was spinning through 1st, 2nd, and loose in 3rd. Have some sticky's on the car now and was holding 2nd on the street over the weekend.
did you ever figure out what was wrong with the car? mine is doing that, has been for a few years but after some time it'll start up again, until it's been doing it recently. i figure BCM, or something related, but every time a thread is started there never seems to be a solution. Thanks.

·
CCGTO
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nope. My buddy that tuned the car just turned all the security off with HPTuners. Now I can start/drive the car, but all the key is good for is starting the car. The security light stays flashing on the dash and you can't use the fob to lock/unlock the car or open the trunk. I did get a TechII scanner a couple weekends ago. The plan now is for him to come back up and turn all the security back on and then start diagnosing with the TechII. :-(

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Nope. My buddy that tuned the car just turned all the security off with HPTuners. Now I can start/drive the car, but all the key is good for is starting the car. The security light stays flashing on the dash and you can't use the fob to lock/unlock the car or open the trunk. I did get a TechII scanner a couple weekends ago. The plan now is for him to come back up and turn all the security back on and then start diagnosing with the TechII. :-(
Tim,

Do you have all the security codes? If not a GM dealer should be able to get them. I think they just need your vin #.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts