LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· GR-RRR!
14,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When connecting my (clone) Tech2 to my 06, which model line do I use? I select year (2006), brand (Pontiac) then it asks for model line which is just a list of single letter codes. Which would indicate the GTO?

On my 04 if I chose 2004/Pontiac and then "V" it connects just fine and I can do everything I want. If I connect to my 06 and select 2006/Pontiac/V it refuses to recognize the CANdi module. Self diagnosis of the CANdi shows it working fine. Do I have to chose a different model line to get it to connect to an 06 GTO?

· GR-RRR!
14,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, both have V in the VIN as the fourth digit. Still can't figure out why the CANdi won't work on the 06. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that the GM/JHP oil pressure gauge is connected to one of the wires on the back of the OBDII. I can't think of any other reason. Any OBDII reader I plug in works just fine.

· Worthless reject member
84,741 Posts
I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that the GM/JHP oil pressure gauge is connected to one of the wires on the back of the OBDII.
it is possible. can bus uses two wires, however, not one. i think the JHP guages uses uart serial, which would be why it only uses one wire. it wouldn't hurt to experiment and disconnect it for a bit to try it out.

might also just be that it's a chinesium tech ii. TBH i haven't tried mine on the 05, since the interior and associated electronics have been apart for some time.

· GR-RRR!
14,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it is possible. can bus uses two wires, however, not one. i think the JHP guages uses uart serial, which would be why it only uses one wire. it wouldn't hurt to experiment and disconnect it for a bit to try it out.
Some day I will. Don't know what else to try. Maybe take a look at the OBDII plug on the car and see if any plugs holes are jacked up.

· Have Bar, Will Travel
47,346 Posts
actaully what error do you get a comms error or just no return.

is the JHP gage plugged into the port or pig tailed off one of the wires?

Meanwhile are you using a knock off tech 2 or are you using a BT or USB modual and the tech2win software?

· GR-RRR!
14,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The error when trying to monitor sensors is that the CANdi module is not recognized as being connected. However, when going into Tool Controls I can run a CANdi diagnostic and it sees the CANdi and all the diagnostics pass.

The JPH oil pressure wire is plugged into the OBDII from behind to pick up the oil pressure signal. No wire splicing involved.

I'm using a Tech2 clone.

Gadget Gas Audio equipment Cable Electronic device

Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part Box

Could the fact that my car is tuned and specifically tuned for a blower be the cause? I'd think the connection issue would be hardware related but who knows? Could my tuner have locked out the ability to connect to certain things or to connect in certain ways?

· Have Bar, Will Travel
47,346 Posts
no the tuner and softare can't lock out the connections as far as I know. and there isn't reason for them to do that as it'd be a bigger liability issue I would think.

also there isn't a "wire" for oil pressure reading - it's a digital code string in the data stream. the software used a PID filter setup to show you different info sets based on PId and any algorithim for the conversions as necessary. IE oil pressure on the can buss is PID _ and it takes an octal value and converts it to a _ PSI or a _ kPa based on how you want to see it.

is the JHP gage grabbing the +12 V power line off the OBD port? That is used to power some modules. pin 16 according to my diagram is the battery power + and pin 4 is the chassis ground.

The other wires are various SAE Jspec Buss wires - none of them are oil pressure by themselves.

meanwhile if I recall those Tech 2 devices need the CANdi module to read the can buss.

· GR-RRR!
14,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you tried connecting without the CANdi module? Just for giggles.
Yes, and if I try to get into things requiring the CANdi it errors. There are some things that don't require the CANdi and I can get to them just fine. Like if I just want to use the Tech2 as a code reader, no CANdi required.

· GR-RRR!
14,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is the JHP oil pressure gauge. I haven't bothered to disconnect the gauge and try out the Tech2 again. To disconnect the wire at the OBDII I have to pull the whole plug off the dash and undo the wiring clamp and getting up under the dash is a PITA as it is. I was going to mess with it the next time I need to be up under the dash for some reason.

· Registered
2006 GTO Cyclone Gray Metallic, 6.0, Magnuson 112, ported 243's, JBA shorty header
950 Posts
It is the JHP oil pressure gauge. I haven't bothered to disconnect the gauge and try out the Tech2 again. To disconnect the wire at the OBDII I have to pull the whole plug off the dash and undo the wiring clamp and getting up under the dash is a PITA as it is. I was going to mess with it the next time I need to be up under the dash for some reason.
I would be willing to check out your Tech2 on my 06;)

84,741 Posts
shoot i might sell you mine if i knew that it would work on an 06. i haven't even had the chance to try it since my 05 ecm/bcm/pim have been sitting in a box for almost 2 years.

· GR-RRR!
14,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if he can get the candi module to work...
CANdi module works fine on the 04 and has worked fine in the past on the 06. I think the problem lies with the car, not with the Tech2/CANdi in my case. I think it may have to do with how I have the oil pressure signal tapped from the OBDII plug back to my JHP gauges. I was waiting until I was going to be back up under the dash again to disconnect that wire and try the Tech2 then. It just occurred to me that I could just pop the gauge pod out and disconnect the plug from the gauges which would accomplish the same thing. Once the weather quits being stupid I'll have to try that out.

84,741 Posts
CANdi module works fine on the 04 and has worked fine in the past on the 06. I think the problem lies with the car, not with the Tech2/CANdi in my case. I think it may have to do with how I have the oil pressure signal tapped from the OBDII plug back to my JHP gauges. I was waiting until I was going to be back up under the dash again to disconnect that wire and try the Tech2 then. It just occurred to me that I could just pop the gauge pod out and disconnect the plug from the gauges which would accomplish the same thing. Once the weather quits being stupid I'll have to try that out.
that's cool.

i need to get my electronics hooked back up in my car and try it. i need to try my hand at linking modules.

i also wonder if @Ronin Concealment would need access to a dealership GMLAN to do a reflash with the tech2.

· Registered
3,019 Posts
Yes the jhp will interfere with other devices trying to communicate via can

84,741 Posts
Yes the jhp will interfere with other devices trying to communicate via can
i wonder how they do it at the dealerships in oz, then? these things came stock in some holdens down there...

maybe a different PIM for the cars that came with them from the factory.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts