LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading some threads about guys going to the track on Test and Tune nights/days. They seem to think they are racing the car in the next lane. (unless you set something up before hand, you're not) You should be there to practice your launch, 60' time, 1/8-1/4 mile time, etc. And to adjust after each run, or at least that's what I go for. I could care less what's in the next lane, sometimes I'll let that car go ahead while I'll launch when it feels right. And if I'm going for R/T then I'll launch on the third light. Hey if I get down the track before the other car then fine, but he's there to dial his car in too. I think if people start practicing instead of worrying what's in the next lane they will be much happier in the long run. JMO and suggestion.......

ROK

·
I love my Goat!
5,963 Posts
But when you and I line up, it's all business:bootyshak :gears:

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
ROKS ROCKET said:
I've been reading some threads about guys going to the track on Test and Tune nights/days. They seem to think they are racing the car in the next lane. (unless you set something up before hand, you're not) You should be there to practice your launch, 60' time, 1/8-1/4 mile time, etc. And to adjust after each run, or at least that's what I go for. I could care less what's in the next lane, sometimes I'll let that car go ahead while I'll launch when it feels right. And if I'm going for R/T then I'll launch on the third light. Hey if I get down the track before the other car then fine, but he's there to dial his car in too. I think if people start practicing instead of worrying what's in the next lane they will be much happier in the long run. JMO and suggestion.......

ROK
This is so true. Very good advice ROK.

·
Former user
3,861 Posts
I have found that its usually the weaker of the two cars lining up at t-n-t nights who seems to think its a real race, especially when they win. Ricey.

·
Project AIRWOLF has started!
679 Posts
I agree with this. I used to feel like I had to race the other guy. A couple of nights ago - I wanted to race the car next to me ( a viper ) and we went all out. I ran a 12.03 to his 12.17.

Then I was up against a 03 cobra and I sat at the light for over a second. I still ran my 11.98 to hit 11.98 - but he was the first past the line. WORK THE LAUNCH as ROKS says!

·
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm happy to see some other Smart "guys" out there that do the same as I do on T&T days. Some runs if I screw up the launch I'll just "dog" it down the track and try it again. And thanks "OrangeCrushM6" for your positive comment also.

ROK

·
7,835 Posts
This is true. But its always nice to get to the line before the other guy.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
ROKS ROCKET said:
It is? I mean, IT IS!!! Hehehehehe........

ROK

id have to agree with you rok, i have been going to the track just so i can practice a pass then watch the log i made during the run with hptuners then making adjustments (still learning). when i was in florida on vacation me and some JAX guys went to gainsville and they had some sick ass loud cars, i could hear them over my car with the windows closed and my cutouts open when i got lined up next to them. i cant wait to focus on just getting my perfect launch/run and not have to worry about the tune and changing the computer.
OT
when are you and Nic gonna get those cars on the dyno now that you got real tunes, the place you were going to screwed my friend over twice. anyesy id be interested in a dyno day as im working on my tune to try and be ready for you guys on saturday.

·
Non Denominational Car Nut
2,347 Posts
Most tracks I have raced at have a "dial in" class even on test and tune nights. Basically its practice bracket racing.. Not only do you not race head to head but you can practice hitting exactly the time you want. If you do want to race the guy next to you just let him know and you both write the same dial in and off you go.
Best part is ZERO ricers ever line up in the dial in lanes during T&T

·
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Greeny5005 said:
when are you and Nic gonna get those cars on the dyno now that you got real tunes, the place you were going to screwed my friend over twice. anyesy id be interested in a dyno day as im working on my tune to try and be ready for you guys on saturday.
As soon as Ed at Mongillo Motors gets his machine in and ready to go. It should not be too much longer before he's ready. As far as the "other" guy, they have done some excellent work on my car and I really don't have any complaints about the work at all. It's the tune they did that p'ed me off. He gave me a very conservative tune, leaving a lot of room for improvement. There were some parameters that were not even touched, that when adjust correctly yielded some hidden HP and torque. His excuse for this is he didn't want me blowing my engine up. The up side to that is I found Ed at Mongillo Motors and someone that knows what I'm looking for and how our GTO's should run.

And to "HTRDLNCN", that "dial in" T&T sounds great.

ROK

·
I love my Goat!
5,963 Posts
Ditto what ROK said. Ed knew what to do, and how to do it. He can make engines talk to him.

The other guys know the LS1 inside and out, but a change in Management there made them a bit conservative. They did my cutouts, and also my cam install, and a good job on both. Please don't call them bad, just a bit conservative.

Hey, they have a 6-second Camaro, they gotta know what they're doing.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
i have nothing against the other guys personally, its just they did the same thing to one of my friends twice. they tuned it and it wasnt right then my friend talked to them and they said they would make it right so he dropped his car off and when he picked it up it was the same or worse. they also repeated this to a second friend of mine, basically my car wouldnt enter the parking lot. but yea ed sounds like he knows what hes doing and when he is up and running we should do a dyno day at the shop or something.:gears:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts