LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting gas last night and this older man driving a Lexus SC 430 was filling up and he noticed I had a GTO......He says oh man I used to have a 65 goat.....sure wish I still had it. Those new ones come in V6's right? How does it run?

I told him this 350hp V8 runs great. I left and made sure he heard the GOAT.

It amazes me how many people even former GTO people don't have a clue about our car. Am I weird? (dont answer that) I make it a habit to look through all the car models out there today and look at pics and see what the specs are. Its not like this car is some mystery.......the info is out there for people that read?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I also believe that a true car person would have known.
One of the most enjoyable times is spent at the auto show
looking at unusual, or sporting cars, checking out the specs,
getting an idea of what is being offered and what is coming.

I also am surprised that people that identify themselves
as car enthusiasts don't even know the down-under heritage.

So many of the "old goat" GTO owners were mass market
pretenders. They didn't know much about what they had,
it was important as a chick magnet, not as a car.

I couldn't afford a '64 GTO when they were first out. But I
could still tell you the engine/trans offerings for each year's car.

I sure like my IBM/Blue M6 now.

Carguy

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Some people just aren't car guys i guess.

·
Now I gotta Goat!!!!
487 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
I was getting gas last night and this older man driving a Lexus SC 430 was filling up and he noticed I had a GTO......He says oh man I used to have a 65 goat.....sure wish I still had it. Those new ones come in V6's right? How does it run?

I told him this 350hp V8 runs great. I left and made sure he heard the GOAT.

It amazes me how many people even former GTO people don't have a clue about our car. Am I weird? (dont answer that) I make it a habit to look through all the car models out there today and look at pics and see what the specs are. Its not like this car is some mystery.......the info is out there for people that read?
I must admit I don't know how many cylinders are in a Lexus SC 430 engine. The Japanese "luxury" cars hold no interest to me, so I don't know. He probably ignores American cars in the same way.

·
Stangar
344 Posts
wishahadagoat said:
I must admit I don't know how many cylinders are in a Lexus SC 430 engine. The Japanese "luxury" cars hold no interest to me, so I don't know. He probably ignores American cars in the same way.
2004 Lexus LS430, starts at $56,000 (most arrive in the 62,000 region), 4.3 liter, 32 Valve V8, 290 HP, 6 Speed Automatic. Claim 0-60 in 5.9 secs.

·
I'm swimming in lava...
158 Posts
There are people who don't know if their car is rear or front wheel drive, don't know jack about if their car's engine size, couldn't tell you their own license plate, and haven't a clue as to what size tire their car has. Nowadays, if people acknowledge even a smidgen of automotive knowledge, I'm somewhat surprised.

Same with: computers, VCR's(cmon...all these years and people can't set a stupid clock?), phones...a lot of people today just don't care if they know about it...they are just using it to get the job done. They want things so simple that they don't have to think about it much. Which is funny, because a knife is simple and most people can't use one correctly.

·
Stangar
344 Posts
Gaijin said:
Which is funny, because a knife is simple and most people can't use one correctly.
OJ knows how

·
Registered
235 Posts
I get the V6 question all the time ... I'm such a car fanatic that I practically tried to memorize every engine configuration for US cars. I used to be a rice boy back when I was 16 years old (only 7 years ago). I still see them rice rockets and the only thing I think about is B16a, B18c, and so on. Now that I work at GM I only see LT1, LS1, LS2, and LS6 ... lol

G

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
04bluegto said:
at least 3 people have asked me if it has front wheel drive!!!

LOL well that is as bad as when I told my one cousin that I got a GTO... he said "another one???" I said another what???? He said "wasnt your other car a Grand Prix GTO???" I said "GTP, dumass"..LOL He said "oh" :bomb:

LOL well at least people dont call it a Grand Am..... You GP guys know exactly what I am talking about. :banghead:

·
297kW User
1,928 Posts
Once I was cruising in my Grand National, and an admirer asked me what kind of Monte Carlo it was. :p

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
TriShield said:
Once I was cruising in my Grand National, and an admirer asked me what kind of Monte Carlo it was. :p
Now that is funny :D

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Shag Finger said:
LOL well that is as bad as when I told my one cousin that I got a GTO... he said "another one???" I said another what???? He said "wasnt your other car a Grand Prix GTO???" I said "GTP, dumass"..LOL He said "oh" :bomb:

LOL well at least people dont call it a Grand Am..... You GP guys know exactly what I am talking about. :banghead:
I've had it called a Grand Am and once was asked if it was the new Sunfire :gr_jest:

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
If they asked me that question, I would tell them "no, it's a 4" and proceed to light em up.

·
Now I gotta Goat!!!!
487 Posts
I used to have a 1967 LeMans into which I dropped the 400 from a '76 Formula. My brother in law wanted to know if it was a big block or a small block. How many of you whipper snappers know the answer to that one?

·
Registered
223 Posts
wishahadagoat said:
I used to have a 1967 LeMans into which I dropped the 400 from a '76 Formula. My brother in law wanted to know if it was a big block or a small block. How many of you whipper snappers know the answer to that one?
Oh! Oh! I know (of course, I have a 389 out in the garage to check on) ;)
I won't spoil the answer...

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
All of the above... I've heard every one of them.
"It's front wheel drive, right?"
"That's a V6, right?"
"I like your Cavalier!"
"I didn't know they were making the GTO again."

And yesterday, I swear it's true, at a rest area I heard a young man say to his Dad, "Wow, check out that Grand Am!"

·
Official Dragon Straightner
6,438 Posts
I know the answer, but I am 41, so I don't qualify as a whipper snapper. Lets see if someone in their 20s can answer it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I know it too, but I'm 42, so I will defer to the younger crowd.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts