LS1GTO.com Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Worthless reject member
39,242 Posts
Our scoops do function as heat extractors and they work fairly well. Watch this video here from a guy who was integral to the 2004-06 GTO's development. The audio is poor however. When you remove the plugs it works better, they are there for keeping water, dirt, dust, debris out of the engine bay. Skip to around 31:30.
well, from the audio in the video, it does seem like he said that the scoops provided enough air to "power the engine," if i made the sound out correctly. i guess the images depict airflow into the scoops and around the inside of the engine bay.

starting at 31:57 it even seems he was discussing using the scoops as an intake source at one point as a later option that was not realized.

it still might be arguable that the point on the hood is still a lower pressure area than the grill, but if the GM engineers did their homework and said that it provides enough air, then i am sure it does.

pretty cool. i'm actually glad to see i am incorrect in my previous assumption regarding the hood scoops.

·
GR-RRR!
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
If I'm following the video (audio makes it tough) and the pictures, the scoops do indeed let air IN. Stock they function as air extractors by letting air in that then exits at the rear lower portion of the engine compartment. So, with a Vararam in place and properly sealed to the hood, they DO overlap about 2/3rds of each scoop and fresh air would indeed be fed to the intake via the scoops.

·
GR-RRR!
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Rich I have a Vararam tray and filter you can have free of charge, just cover the shipping cost. PM me. As far as shifting, I shift right at 6500 when I am serious/racing someone and I've hit the rev limiter at 6700 spinning in first going into second and still spinning which I attribute to the 3.91's. View attachment 501033
Thanks for the offer but I'm guessing I'm just over thinking this. But if you all haven't figured it out by now, I often like to just bring up and discuss "what if" if for no other reason than to learn things or at least new ways of thinking about things.

·
Worthless reject member
39,242 Posts
If I'm following the video (audio makes it tough) and the pictures, the scoops do indeed let air IN. Stock they function as air extractors by letting air in that then exits at the rear lower portion of the engine compartment. So, with a Vararam in place and properly sealed to the hood, they DO overlap about 2/3rds of each scoop and fresh air would indeed be fed to the intake via the scoops.
i would now agree.

however, i think it would still be wise to leave the OTR part of the vararam tray open to air from between the hood and front facia. kinda like the hole-drill mod on the stock airbox, lol.

·
GR-RRR!
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
41 - 46 of 46 Posts