1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, ok....

Enough already! How many of you have already hit or exceeded the
120 mark and how many times?

I've hit three times already. The latest this morning on the 405 north bound in Los Angeles. :secret:

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
:secret: Me
And more time's than I care to admit :sneaky:

Its more like 140 :eek2:

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
120? :rolleyes: Reliable sources tell me that one hits the fuel cut at around 160mph. Kind of feels like traction control. Or, so they tell me. :secret: :)

Padre

·
Former Goatherder
658 Posts
I hit 120 once in the Camaro SS I had... but only had the goat to about 110 so far.

·
Registered
980 Posts
120 intentionally and 130-5 unintentionally (looked at gauge while slowing and was at 130) while playing with a vette here.

Note: Passenger guessed we were doing 85 while @ 120.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
125 is tops and yes it does feel like 80 something

·
WOT's Up Doc?
2,536 Posts
Did 120 on the first road trip. I had just shifted into 5th and my buddy got scared. Feels like 80, for sure.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
I've hit 140+ several times. The car feels smooth as silk and she still PULLS (accelerates) at 140+. I have no fear of taking the car even faster, but so far I haven't had enough room to pull her more. I am simply amazed at how great the car feels at such dangerously high speeds. I get the impression I could drive 140+ from coast to coast. Can you say, "Cannonball Run"? :D

·
late owner of a 2004
701 Posts
I have been over 140 about 10 times....I have had it up to 162mph on July 2nd racing a 02 vette... he was a little pissed at me cause I walked on him.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
I don't know... I think four or five times.

Another question... how many have had it airborne?

I had all four off the pavement the first weekend I had it. Out in some corn fields (think long straight roads, no other cars) out Lake Geneva WI way, over 100mph, hit a small rise in the pavement, scared the crap out of me, and my best friend tells me I didn't have it over 45mph for the next 30 minutes (like I said, scared the livin crap out of me). Took at least 30 minutes for my heartrate to get to something close to normal. This was me learning that this car has more balls than me :p

·
Post Mortem
1,505 Posts
redgtosamurai said:
Ok, ok....

Enough already! How many of you have already hit or exceeded the
120 mark and how many times?

I've hit three times already. The latest this morning on the 405 north bound in Los Angeles. :secret:
Ive hit 135+ and it was pretty smooth considering i was on a back road thats rather rough.

·
3,327 Posts
:D LS1GTO.com does not condone anyone driving their car this fast.

On another note, I have not seen over 110, but that was at the race track. I never know when Mr. Officer is hiding out like they like to do around here. But I did take a very sharp curve at 75 one night where I figured that I would spin out. Handled like a dream :thumbs: Doing that also shut up the guy in the back seat that said "That GTO is nothing compared to my '68 GTO" :D

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Hit 125 once. I have a race class at the local track on August 17. It includes a couple of hours of track time. I hope to hit the fuel cutoff (thanks for the heads up Padre). Pictures to follow.....
:drink::drink:

·
Member +145mph club
298 Posts
I've done 135mph on the main straight away at midohio raceway, could have gone faster but I don't have enough braking power with stock brakes to make the turn at the end of it. 120mph on the back straight away of Nelson Ledges raceway. I've kept it below 100mph on the local streets for safety. When I lived in Florida I used to take my Z28 over 160mph all the time, but had good road for that kind of stuff. Now I live in Ohio and Ohio just doesn’t have the roads for that kind of driving. And I'm told my GTO has a speed governor, factory set to 154 same as BMW's.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
I have ventured into the 120 plus zone a few times and have hit 140 ish once or twice. The car is very very smooth and stable at those speeds. Impressive!

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
Under the rights afforded to my by the 5th ammendment, I refuse to admit or deny any rumors of said activity. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wonder what the 05 GTO's will be like. I don't have a GTO at the moment, but am looking to pick one up in Spring. I've had my Grand Prix GTP (Comp-G) up to 127. I freaked out when I heard the RPM's drop greatly. It wasn't until I started to slow down until I realized that my RPM's dropped because I went into 4th. Can't exactly stare at all the gauges and scenery when you're going that fast.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts