LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered lurker
535 Posts
"Technical description" & "legal definition" aren't always identical.

Copied from wikipedia:
In United States law, a Machine Gun is defined (in part) by The National Firearms Act of 1934, 26 U.S.C. § 5845(b) as "... any weapon which shoots ... automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_gun

·
Clowface 2016
318 Posts
Certain variations of the M16 were fully automatic. The original M16A1 introduced in Vietnam was originally semi auto and fully automatic. With the introduction of the A2 version, which was the standard version for the longest time and what I trained on in basic training, they went with the 3 round burst. Then came the A3, which was an A2 with the A1 fire control group for automatic fire. And finally the A4 the Marines use which is the M4 flat top receiver, and M16 parts.

·
Out and about
1,433 Posts
Yea I looked around the internet and saw that wiki on what the law states but to me a gun that fires a 3 round burst isn't a "machine gun". A open bolt system is what I consider a machine gun while a weapon like a M4A1 is a assault rifle even though it does have the full auto feature. I used that muskete of a rilfe they call a M16 and I'm glad I used the M4 variant after that. Being a 5"6' dude, I don't have that long of a reach.

Thats cool, thats for the info. I just wanted to express what I feel and I'm sure it's been discussed before to an extent. I can't wait to get my AR after this deployment, the wife won't as she hates guns but like a .22 for some odd reason....

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts

·
You Cant Take The Sky From Me
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I've been out of the game for a few years, and I think this thread could use some updating. I know 300 Blackout has become hot, and prices have spiked. Anyone have anything good to add?

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
.22LR and the AR-15

Two ways to do it, dedicated and adapter. Both use a .22lr different bolt. The .22 bolt completely fits where the regular bolt goes.

Dedicated has a .22lr barrel in a twist rate that is appropriate for the bullet.

Adapter uses the factory .223 barrel but has an extension that fills in the space between a .223 shell and the .22lr.

Both typically use the same .22lr mags.

The major advantages to the adapter is cheaper in initial cost, you can use your same sights (though they will have to be rezeroed), and they are very easy to convert, you just pull the rear pin and replace the bolt with the .22 adapter/bolt.

The dedicated is a completely new upper. It has a .22 specific barrel in .22lr twist which is slower than the .223 twist. They also will not introduce lead into the gas system (some say running a few .223 after shooting .22 will burn it out).

The nice thing about a .22 bolt assembly is if you're doing this on a virgin receiver, you can build it without a stock, on a traditional AR action the bolt moves into the stock, on a .22 AR it does not, it's contained in the "bolt" area, so .22lr pistols can be made very short.

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
.22 pistol AR

·
B====D~~ ~~~ ( . Y . )
4,906 Posts

Is this what I can expect going with a 14.5" pinned barrel (top) vs 16" with screw on (bottom)?

Originally I was going to go with a 16" mid length system but with this rifle I'd like to get as close to actual M4 specs as possible and go as short as possible without SBR. I don't have a barrel or gas system yet so I'll I need to change is my H buffer to a carbine friendly buffer since I'm using a stout CS blue chrome silicone buffer spring.

In the future I wanted to build an M16A2 replica to get my distance fix if I develop one.

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
Yes, if it's a permanent part of the barrel (ie pinned), it's considered as part of the barrel length. Any "barrel" length under 16" on a rifle needs to be either a SBR OR built on a virgin/pistol receiver as a pistol.

Some people have pinned on a larger part that goes around the suppressor for special builds in states that do not allow SBRs.

For example, a ruger 10/22 barrel. Barrel length is considered 16.5" but the barrel is only 12.25 inches.

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
Yes, IIRC the M4 is a 14.5" barrel.

·
.50AE vs .50 BMG. Both rule!
1,024 Posts
Seems that with an A2 flash, a military M4A1 is 15.5" total.

I don't want the flash to look stupid being excessively long with a 14.5+1.5 extension, but it's that vs a 16" barrel and the standard 1" extension of I assume, most flashes.

Decisions......
FYI, 14.5 p/w vs 16 is only actually going to end up about 3/4"-4/5" shorter then a 16" barrel, due to OAL legal requirements. To me, it's not worth it to have to pin/weld and loss of velocity. (I differ in opinion on a real 14.5").

If you don't want it to be overly obvious, you could use one of these:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-A2X-Extended-A2-Flash-Hider-Suppressor-p/bcm-a2x.htm

·
B====D~~ ~~~ ( . Y . )
4,906 Posts
Went 16".

What do I need to attach it? I bought just a barrel, not a kit. Barrel nut, delta ring assembly....etc? Can you get very specific as I'm most likely buying all this piece by piece like I have been the other bits.

I plan to use a Troy hand guard that will most likely come with any proprietary installation bits.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
Went 16".

What do I need to attach it? I bought just a barrel, not a kit. Barrel nut, delta ring assembly....etc? Can you get very specific as I'm most likely buying all this piece by piece like I have been the other bits.

I plan to use a Troy hand guard that will most likely come with any proprietary installation bits.

Thanks.
Decide on the rail first as some come with specific barrel nuts, do you have a gas tube and gas block already?

·
B====D~~ ~~~ ( . Y . )
4,906 Posts
Decide on the rail first as some come with specific barrel nuts, do you have a gas tube and gas block already?
Gas block is a Daniel Defense low profile pinned to the barrel and I think they use .750. For rails I was looking at a LaRue 11" but didn't see that much of a difference compared to Troy Bravo 11" for the big price increase. Right now the plan is Troy rail unless they are ghetto and I don't know it. Definitely want the Troy tritium BUIS. No gas tube yet.

·
Still not Mexican.
1,278 Posts
I am wanting to buy a AR Upper from PSA. I am just not sure what I should be looking for. I know I want 16", but after that I am kind of clueless. Can someone look at what they have and point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
127 Posts
What do you want it to do? Are you looking for lowest cost? Do you want a quad rail or standard hand guard? Do you want a complete upper (w BCG)?

·
Dick Ross
7,196 Posts
What do you want it to do? Are you looking for lowest cost? Do you want a quad rail or standard hand guard? Do you want a complete upper (w BCG)?
This.

So many option out there. If you want dirt cheap I can send you links for various parts to build your own upper, but I'm guessing building a rifle is not in your wheel house yet.

·
Dick Ross
7,196 Posts
What's your budget first and foremost. Do you want a Chevy or a Ferrari?

21 - 40 of 70 Posts