LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Sewell Pontiac
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just wanted to let you know that I know the best $450 you will spend on your GTO. It is on LS1 Edit. A guy I know in Dallas named Chris Robinson has been tuning LS1s for years with Edit. He knows his stuff, yesterday he was showing me timing tables he down loaded from my car and showing me how much timing the car had in its original program and it sucked. So in the next couple of days I will be getting my car tuned and I know others that have had their own cars tuned by him and let me tell you even stock cars run like they just picked up an additional 40lbs of tq. at the lower RPM stages. Oh yeah and that is where he tunes out of RPM in Lewisville. You Dallas guys know where that is. The Predator is a good product but can't do what LS1 Edit can.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
All well and good, but what good does LS1 Edit do me with out a dyno and tuning experance? Can the everyday owner with some computer skills benifit from this program? How easy is it to totaly hose your car if you make the wrong choices?

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
I invested in HP Tuner, and while it is a very powerful tool, I'm in the same boat sxty8goats has mentioned; I don't have a dyno or tuning experience. I am likely to do more harm than good if I get to screwing around with my tune.

So, having the right software tools, whether it's HP Tuner or LS1Edit, does NOT guarantee added HP. You not only need the experience of knowing what to change, but you also REALLY need a way to quantify the changes (i.e. a dyno.)

·
Sewell Pontiac
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah that is why a experienced tuner like Chris is needed. Hey by no means am I telling anyone buy LS1 Edit and do it yourself, you will screw things up if you do not know what you are doing. Hey he doesn't need a dyno to do the tune, he has done so many LS1s that he knows the tune will work regardless of the car, the dyno just tells you how much you picked up from the tune. The tuning experience is what is needed.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
GTOJ,

Each car runs a little diferently. Your guy Chris may have a good tune that works well but what he is doing isn't much diferent than a preditor tune. Generic tune. with a dyno and an experanced tuner, you can find out just what you are accomplishing and tell when you have gone too far. I'm not saying that Chris isn't doing a good job but he could do better with a dyno.

And your original email does imply that everone should go out and buy LS1edit.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
sxty8goats said:
GTOJ,

Each car runs a little diferently. Your guy Chris may have a good tune that works well but what he is doing isn't much diferent than a preditor tune. Generic tune. with a dyno and an experanced tuner, you can find out just what you are accomplishing and tell when you have gone too far. I'm not saying that Chris isn't doing a good job but he could do better with a dyno.
that is a very good point 68
if he is applying the SAME tune to every LS1 and not checking the results. how is that any different than a Predator Tune?
it seems like w/ the LS1edit you are paying for the ability to get a "custom" tune
with the predator you are paying for a good "basic" tune that the average shade tree mechanic can use

·
Sewell Pontiac
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys go straight to the negative. I am not saying he doesn't use a dyno to tune cars, he does I am just saying that he has done so many LS1s that he doesn't necessarily need a dyno. I was just stating a point that I know a guy in Dallas who can tune cars very well and yes he uses a dyno to do his tunes!!!

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
so you are saying that he DOES use a dyno, he is just so experienced that he doesn't really need to. am i understanding correctly?

·
Sewell Pontiac
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are correct sir. You would understand it more clearly with him saying it.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
GTOJ said:
You guys go straight to the negative. I am not saying he doesn't use a dyno to tune cars, he does I am just saying that he has done so many LS1s that he doesn't necessarily need a dyno. I was just stating a point that I know a guy in Dallas who can tune cars very well and yes he uses a dyno to do his tunes!!!
You should go back and read your posts. The above information is not what you stated previously. From your first post all we could really assume was:

Everyone should buy LS1edit and Chris is so good at tuning he doesn't' use a dyno.

Now you are getting upset because some of us disagree or point out flaws in your statement. Being a little clearer in your posting would avoid these misconceptions.

Your title to the post "The best $450 spent on the GTO" implies that you have found the best $450 mod for the goat. All you are really telling us is you got a tune. Good for your many people have. $450 for a dyno tune isn't' a bad price. Kind of a waste if you don't have any mods though

Please don't get mad at us because you were unclear in stating your point.

·
Sewell Pontiac
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sxty8goats said:
You should go back and read your posts. The above information is not what you stated previously. From your first post all we could really assume was:

Everyone should buy LS1edit and Chris is so good at tuning he doesn't' use a dyno.

Now you are getting upset because some of us disagree or point out flaws in your statement. Being a little clearer in your posting would avoid these misconceptions.

Your title to the post "The best $450 spent on the GTO" implies that you have found the best $450 mod for the goat. All you are really telling us is you got a tune. Good for your many people have. $450 for a dyno tune isn't' a bad price. Kind of a waste if you don't have any mods though

I am sorry that I need to implicitly clear with everyone on this board. What I meant was that he has done so many tunes that he said on a stock car he doesn't need to use a dyno but if the customer wants it up on the dyno than he will do it up there. It is the best $450 anyone will ever spend. I know friends of mine that have had their cars tuned by him and ever one of them he touches he makes it run better. Driveability and overall feel throughout the whole RPM band and not just wide open throttle is what he makes better. It is all in what he does with the timing tables and other things which I have no idea about and that is why I consider Chris the expert. Be a little more open minded to tuning these cars than just a Predator tuner. I am not saying that from his tuning I got 100 rwhp gain or anyone else for that matter and heck I have not even gotten by car tuned by him yet. All I am stating is I have an expert that will tune anyones car stock or with mods and make it run like a scaled ape!!!

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
And I whole hartedly agree with that. A profesional tune is invaluable.

Your first post did imply that the $450 would best be spent on LS1edit. That is where I had issue. I cringed at the thought of inexperanced kids ordering LS1edit and finding out that you actualy had to know how to use it. The fact that you said Chris didn't need a dyno compounded this and made chris sound like a shade tree machanic that hack around until he got it done.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
It's all about responbility... and to this date I am surprised at the number of kids who have this car. We do need to watch out for them (and the other less experienced folks, like me).

Thanks all, this board is best!

·
Sewell Pontiac
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sxty8goats said:
And I whole hartedly agree with that. A profesional tune is invaluable.

Your first post did imply that the $450 would best be spent on LS1edit. That is where I had issue. I cringed at the thought of inexperanced kids ordering LS1edit and finding out that you actualy had to know how to use it. The fact that you said Chris didn't need a dyno compounded this and made chris sound like a shade tree machanic that hack around until he got it done.

But now we agree he is not a shade tree tuner. He works for a shop in Dallas they would not want to ruin their reputation on someone who is inexperienced. He has been using Edit for years. He knows what he is doing!!

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
You don't need a dyno to tune. A dyno is good for WOT throttle tuning. But all around driving is needed to make a great tune. Once you have part throttle mastered, then a dyno becomes your friend when you want full throttle tuning. Part throttle tuning is the hardest part of tuning and a dyno won't get it where it needs to be.

·
Registered
430 Posts
sxty8goats said:

I don't mean to cause a fight, but I don't understand your statement of "kind of a waste if you don't have any mods though". Do you mean if he adds mods that it needs to be re-tuned? Or are you saying that this was a waste because he doesn't have any mods so he won't see any gains? It looks like he got some gains. I'm sure the tuning from the factory is on the safe side.

Just trying to understand something I might be missing.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts