LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a GTO, Yellow-Jacket M6 back in August. Received a tpw of 12/17 so I thought all is well. However the system showed it was produced on 1/12/04 but I had heard that the plant was not even open on that date. Today Wanda from GM distribution told me that my car still has not been produced and may not until March or April. They had just completed producing cars that had a October TPW so they still need to catch up!!!! Enough is enough, so I entered the GM Buypower web site and looked for dealers with GTO inventory and found a yellow jacket m6 on the showroom floor. Dealer wanted $1000 over msrp and I told him no that I was eligible for GMS and would only buy it at that price. He basically told me good luck and I left. About 2 hours later I got a call from the dealer and he said if you get here in 1 hour its yours at GMS!!!! Couldnt believe my ears, to make a long story short signed the contract put $500 down and will take delivery on thursday at $29895. Those of you waiting for your car look into other dealers with inventory and you may be able to get your car a tad cheaper and sooner than waiting for good old GM!
Proud almost owner of yellow jacket M6 04 GTO

·
Registered
279 Posts
Congrats!!

I did much the same thing. Albeit not at GMS.

It looks like the preorder system was just a joke. In the future, I still might place a pre-order but only use it as a place holder in case I don't find one sooner using gmbuypower.

You gotta believe the dealers don't like the pre-order system either. They take orders on cars that get optioned the way the customer wants them, but then the order gets refunded because the customer finds the same thing earlier for the same price at another dealer and the original dealer is wondering if he would have ordered the car with the same options.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GM dealers are lucky the only options are color and transmission, otherwise this could be a royal mess!! Thanks for the kind words!

·
God Bless Texas!
2,284 Posts
I did the same thing. I got tired of waiting and checked Buypower.com and found one. I switched from black to Red but I couldnt be happier with the car. Tomorrow I should reach that magic 500 miles. Look Out Houston!!

·
Registered
524 Posts
gto2go said:
Ordered a GTO, Yellow-Jacket M6 back in August. Received a tpw of 12/17 so I thought all is well. However the system showed it was produced on 1/12/04 but I had heard that the plant was not even open on that date. Today Wanda from GM distribution told me that my car still has not been produced and may not until March or April. They had just completed producing cars that had a October TPW so they still need to catch up!!!! Enough is enough, so I entered the GM Buypower web site and looked for dealers with GTO inventory and found a yellow jacket m6 on the showroom floor. Dealer wanted $1000 over msrp and I told him no that I was eligible for GMS and would only buy it at that price. He basically told me good luck and I left. About 2 hours later I got a call from the dealer and he said if you get here in 1 hour its yours at GMS!!!! Couldnt believe my ears, to make a long story short signed the contract put $500 down and will take delivery on thursday at $29895. Those of you waiting for your car look into other dealers with inventory and you may be able to get your car a tad cheaper and sooner than waiting for good old GM!
Congrats! Yellow rules!

·
HOTROD HANDYMAN
434 Posts
gto2go said:
:thumbs: Way to go GTO2GO!! Congrats to you! :thumbs: :thumbs: Good luck with your new toy. :D

·
3,327 Posts
JimHoward said:
It looks like the preorder system was just a joke. In the future, I still might place a pre-order but only use it as a place holder in case I don't find one sooner using gmbuypower.

You gotta believe the dealers don't like the pre-order system either. They take orders on cars that get optioned the way the customer wants them, but then the order gets refunded because the customer finds the same thing earlier for the same price at another dealer and the original dealer is wondering if he would have ordered the car with the same options.
I guess I am one of the few that were thankful for the pre-order program. I put mine in around the end of June, had a TPW of 12/18, and the car showed up at the dealer yesterday morning. My dealer is a very small volume dealership, and when I ordered it he did not expect to get one until at least until sometime in April. Im kind of glad that I didnt have one of the earlier deliveries because some of the problems they first had seem to be getting better, and the weather was really crappy in December and January. Also helps me out financially. It is going to sit at the dealers for a couple of weeks, but at least I can go and look at her now. :thumbs:

And yes, Yellow does rule. :D

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Congrats!!!!!
:bubbrub :bubbrub

·
Registered
214 Posts
I ordered my car in july and my tpw was 11/27, and i picked my car up feb 3rd from my dealer, so it does work for some....

·
-Tom Capozzi- Spitzer Pontiac GMC
263 Posts
I won't dispute that GM seriously dropped the ball on the advanced order program,but a lot of delaers have taken orders when they don't have allocation . I'm doing the updates for DY on the order tracker and was amazed at the fact that some still don't have TPW's.A dealer can order a car as sold and that that order will take priority over that particular delaers stock order,but it doesn't mean that the car will get built any faster.GM did a consensus and informed all dealers of there initial allocation,unfortunately a lot of delaers started taking orders before the allocations were given.So there is a possibility that someone might not get the car they ordered.Or they might wait 6 to 8 months for the car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re: Dealer Pre Orders waste of time in my case

I placed my Order as soon as the preordering was available in June. They said I was the first order submitted at their dealership. They said that they were allocated nine cars. I have been dogging the dealer ever since for information. They have been able to tell me nothing until last week when they received their first GTO. I went to have a look. It was purple and not to my liking. After pushing for more information on my car they finally told me that it was in the system and after checking it's status it hasn't even been built yet!!!
I was pissed.
It doesn't really matter as I had already got tired of waiting on a dealer with no info that wants to charge me 5G over sticker. I shopped around to find the one I have now in the tracker and it is on a train and should be delivered next week.
Bloody nightmare of a system.
This particular car was pre-ordered by someone else who couldn't wait. I paid a deposit on it on Jan 6th. It was already in the country then but has been shipped to IL to the wrong dealer. Mistake discovered and now it's on it's way back to FL. Pontiac apologizes but - hey - it is going to be 6 or 7 weeks in the country before it makes the dealer floor???? (If it does turn up on Monday.) What does that cost GM?
Anyway I have been hanging out a long time and looking forward to hopping in her next week. Fingers crossed.
I wish there was some way to verify it's current location???
Gordon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts