LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Buckethead
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit: I'm a baseball nut, but I was never more of a nut than in the 80's when baseball was life. I loved a lot of teams and players, but the Red Sox was my team. The hometown boys.
If you are a fan too, you'll remember Rice and Clemens and Yaz, but what about those other players? Players who were either at the last stop of their career or this was one of their many stops. Let's take a look!

Nick Esasky. He was good 3B-1B in Cincinnati until the Sox picked him up where he exploded. Unfortunately, this was his only breakout season when vision problem forced the end of his career in Atlanta. Sad story.

Danny Heep. Mostly a pinch hitter and reserve OF, he however has a ring from the '86 Mets and in '88 with the Dodgers. Not bad!

Lee Smith. A great closer with the Cubs, he took his talents to Landsdown St. and picked up where he left off. Interesting note: He was traded to St. Louis for Tom Brunansky, who made THE CATCH to clinch the AL East.

Dennis Lamp. He spent a few years in Boston. Good Cubs starter and did some really good work in the bullpen. Check out his 1985 in Toronto (11-0)

Larry Parrish. This guy was part of some really, really good Expo teams, some who should have gone further than they did. a 3B with power, he played alongside Hall of Famers Andre Dawson and Gary Carter. Boston was his last stop.

Mike Smithson. A former Twins starter this guy stands out to me because as a kid, I thought he was incapable of having an ERA under 5. He proved me wrong a year later by having a 4.95 ERA LOL

Dwight Evans. "WHAT??? Evans!!! He's a legend in Boston!!" Yes, you are correct but the reason he's on this list is because this was the first full year of him playing 1B. That was SAD to watch!

Tom Seaver. Hall of Fame pitcher came to the Sox in mid season to help with the pennant run. Won 5 games, and never pitched in the playoffs. That was it for his great career.

Sammy Stewart. A former Oriole, pretty boring career. Was was NOT boring was his impression of Jim Palmer during a rain delay. Funny stuff! Here's a video:

Mike Easler. This guy had a nice career for himself. An oddity: He was traded to the hated Yankees for Don Baylor straight up.

Tony Armas. Well known at the time, Armas had a solid career when he came to the Sox. He had a monster year '84 hitting 43 HR and 123 RBI, both led the league. Only his .268 AVG kept him from a Triple Crown.

I admit, this is a lean year... but I did find Doug Bird. He was the Royals idea of a closer until they had 2 "colorful" people to take that job: "The Mad Hungarian" Al Hrbosky and Dan Quisenberry.

Carney Lansford. Not exactly a forgotten player, but he was the last right handed batter to win a batting title until well into the 2000's. As good of a hitter as he was, he lost his job to some "scrub" by the name of Wade Boggs. How could they!! ;P Side note: He got dealt for Tony Armas. Good trade for both, I think.

The strike year. The Sox did manage to pick up someone they liked for a long time: Joe Rudi. He thanked them by hitting .180. He was part of 2 trades that were noteworthy: One in 1976 to the Sox that was voided 2 days later by the commissioner (Rollie Fingers was part of that too), and the trade that brought him to the Sox. They gave up Fred Lynn for this guy. Horrible deal.

Frank Tanana. Another guy in the deal to bring Rudi, this guy was fire in the 70's with the Angels and alongside Nolan Ryan, they made one heck of a 1-2 punch. Injuries to his arm made him a junk pitcher by the time the Sox got him. He later made a career out of it in Detroit.

Jim Dwyer. Another one of those spare parts, he played some RF and 1B. Played for a lot of teams and did mighty fine work for all of them. Was traded 7 times. 7 TIMES!! That's got to be some kind of record, right?

Last but not least Win Remmerswaal. The first Eurpoean trained major leaguer, he was a character to say the least!! His off the field antics overwhelmed his on field work. An example: "Remmerswaal made his major-league debut on August 3 at Milwaukee’s County Stadium – but apparently he wasn’t bothered by nerves. Steve Renko left the game after five innings, and as author Tom Boswell described it, “Zimmer called the bullpen, barked ‘Get Win up,’ and was told, ‘He’s out in the bleachers buying peanuts.’” Crazy guy!! Had a stroke went into a coma, and has been in a nursing home since 1997. 23 years. VERY sad!!

Source: https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/94125631

1 - 1 of 1 Posts