LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here we stand today..the car has been in the shop for almost a month getting the heads redone due to dual cometic head gasket failure after only 4 months of daily driving. That in itself is another issue for another day.

To make matters worse the original shop (they are a GOOD shop so not bashing them) uses ls2edit to tune my car and trans. Awesome tune and car ran great until it started to overheat due to the head gaskets.

So...I moved about 200 miles from that shop and that makes it not feasible to run back and forth to them for tunes and such. We swapped the head gaskets and hoped that the A/F wouldn't change much. We used the same thickness on the gaskets and went from cometic/ARP to GM corvette gaskets and stock GM head bolts.

So we dyno the car and in the upper rpm band its approaching 14.1-14.2 A/F. Not safe enough for me so I told them to just retune the car. They use HPT and not LS2edit.

Well of course I found out the hard way that the makers of ls2edit are stupid dumbasses and make it so your ECM and TCM lock down. It's a long debate that has been had on here MANY times but until it happens to you... So I got a new ECM from Fred Bean's. Figured that would solve the problem. Well a tech II doesn't have enogh internal memory to hold a stock tune. Damn. Off to the dealership it goes.

Get a call this morning (car has been at my local speed shop for almost a month due to other projects and this tuning issue becoming a nightmare) and was told that the car just came back from the dealer and the ECM and BCM communicate but when they download HPT, it looks for the TCM and stops because its locked out. Hmm. Me or the shop owner didn't think this would be a problem because we figured in order for it to cause a problem you would have to go looking to program the transmission. Well no. It won't let you go any further.

So now I have ordered a TCM from Fred Beans and overnighted it. Probably will get here on friday but the shop owner is going to be out, autocrossing a Z06. The long awaited chicago goat cruise will be done and gone by the time my car is finished. SO..

IF I EVER FIND THE MAKERS OF LS2EDIT ON THE STREET, I AM GONNA SMASH THEM IN THE FACE WITH A BASEBALL BAT...

Like anyone wants to steal your piece of crap software...ASSWHOLES..

end rant...

·
Live Fast & Die Pretty
306 Posts
That so sucks. I'm sorry to hear about this BS. If it's not one thing it's another...

·
medium rare
348 Posts
Thanks for the info...(Note to self...don't use LS2Edit)

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't touch ls2edit at all. Stay far far away. I guess it would be good if 1) you never moved and your tuner is close or 2) your tuner never went out of business.

They should be shot for doing this or at least make EVERYONE sign a waiver prior to tuning that explains this. These guys should reimburse me for a new ECM and TCM. Bastards

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spunky GTO said:
That so sucks. I'm sorry to hear about this BS. If it's not one thing it's another...
I guess in the grand scheme of things its not a HUGE deal but I honestly can't remember a time that I have been so pissed like I am now. Ever just want phucking destroy the first thing you see? Yeah its like that right now...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Take a chill pill man! It sucks, but no need to get that bent out of shape...it's only a car! I think this has been discussed before, next time use the search function.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
gonzo said:
Take a chill pill man! It sucks, but no need to get that bent out of shape...it's only a car! I think this has been discussed before, next time use the search function.
that and all it would really take is one last time down to the other shop with your own hp tuners softwear and have them load ya back to stock, them tune with your hp tuners... but he'd rather buy PCM/TCM's to only replace locked ones that are paper weights if they are locked

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Jbss71 said:
that and all it would really take is one last time down to the other shop with your own hp tuners softwear and have them load ya back to stock, them tune with your hp tuners... but he'd rather buy PCM/TCM's to only replace locked ones that are paper weights if they are locked
tuner is over 200 miles away...want to take them back for me? I don't have HPT. The new shop is installing and tuning it. HPT will not even install itself because of the TCM lock.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gonzo said:
always easy to say this when it doesn't happen to you. Just trying to let other people know to stay far away from that crappy ass program. I knew about this but figured it would only require a new ECM. No biggie. Always nice to have a spare around. It's more the time issue than anything.

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
9,794 Posts
Wow that really does stink. I'm happy they didn't do that with the LS1Edit tune. I had that tune replaced with HPT Tune and will never look back. Now you have to jump through hoops to get what you want done, plus the other issues you're having with the car. Good Luck, hopefully it will be over soon..........

ROK

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Smhemi said:
Very strange my car was originally tuned by vette docs in Long Island useing ls2edit,then had H/C done by matt at TTP he used HP tuners mine wasnt locked.
I have heard that ealier versions of the ls2edit didn't lock the ECM/TCM but maybe chris white can chime in about it. Regardless..just heed the warning.

·
Gone but not forgotten
3,699 Posts
Mine is tuned with LS2Edit also. It is also locked. My tuner is 180 miles away and I've spent over $1k in just tuning costs. That would easily cover the cost of HPT and a wide band. I don't have a problem paying for the knowledge and expertise but don't like the fact that the ECM is locked. I just got another retune last Friday. Now I got a good deal on a Fast intake. So another day off work, another 360 mile round trip drive and another $200.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
WOW! I guess the makers of this tuning system have a big problem on there hands. Good luck guys. I'm sorry to hear this.

·
WUT?!?!?!?!?!
6,524 Posts
Mine is NOT locked via LS1Edit...

·
Live Fast & Die Pretty
306 Posts
pharmdgto said:
I guess in the grand scheme of things its not a HUGE deal but I honestly can't remember a time that I have been so pissed like I am now. Ever just want phucking destroy the first thing you see? Yeah its like that right now...
Yeah I know the feeling, trust me. I was going through it just a little while ago. It is a big deal to you because what you’ve gone through with it, especially lately. That and you missing the cruise sucks.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spunky GTO said:
Yeah I know the feeling, trust me. I was going through it just a little while ago. It is a big deal to you because what you’ve gone through with it, especially lately. That and you missing the cruise sucks.

Yeah, spending 2 grand to fix heads that shouldn't have leaked and to buy a new ECM and TCM and do a new full tune. But hey, its only $$$ right?

·
Gone but not forgotten
3,699 Posts
I'm going to get HPT and a wideband over the winter. Then when I go in for my next tune I'll see if he will tune it for me with my HPT. Someone should sue the LS2Edit people.

·
IX HANDZ
308 Posts
pharmdgto said:
ls1edit doesn't lock the ECM..this is a extra special feature of ls2edit.

It just sucks that it can't be turned off like LS1Edit Locking can be....

1 - 20 of 72 Posts