LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 371 Posts

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

1964 Impala SS, 4 speed. It is a true SS. The owner said she was told it was originally a 409 car when she bought it back in 81. Her son said it was originally a 327 car. I didn't know the engine codes off the top of my head, and since I'm planning a 5.3 swap anyways, I really didn't care.

The car has a 12 bolt with 3.55s and an M21 trans. They were including a 402 big block, but I told them to keep it. I'll be swapping in an L33 and keeping the M21 behind it. All-in-all, it should be a fun project. The car is for my dad, since he has wanted a 327/4 speed '64 SS for quite some time.

Attachments

·
Insert Witty Title Here
2,803 Posts
Love '64's.

Are you planning on also keeping the hood, or going back factory?

My old '64 had a 289 with a 2 speed Powerglide.

·
12,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Love '64's.

Are you planning on also keeping the hood, or going back factory?

My old '64 had a 283 with a 2 speed Powerglide.
Going back to factory. My dad wants it to look stock on the exterior and interior, and then modern when you pop the hood. He wanted to tell the guy to keep the hood, but I told him to keep it because, if it comes down to it, at least we have a hood.

I can also see if someone wants to trade their stock hood for a cowl hood as opposed to buying one.

The only other thing that won't look stock are the wheels. I'm putting 05 GTO calipers on the front, and those kits require 17" wheels. Luckily, there are companies that reproduce the factory wheels in larger sizes. I just need to see if they will accept the OEM SS hubcaps or not.

·
Insert Witty Title Here
2,803 Posts
Going back to factory. My dad wants it to look stock on the exterior and interior, and then modern when you pop the hood. He wanted to tell the guy to keep the hood, but I told him to keep it because, if it comes down to it, at least we have a hood.

I can also see if someone wants to trade their stock hood for a cowl hood as opposed to buying one.

The only other thing that won't look stock are the wheels. I'm putting 05 GTO calipers on the front, and those kits require 17" wheels. Luckily, there are companies that reproduce the factory wheels in larger sizes. I just need to see if they will accept the OEM SS hubcaps or not.
Sounds like a fun project!

Maybe one day I will turn mine into a project. I still have it, though it hasn't been started since '97. Mine is original. Down to the original paint and interior. :lol:

·
voted, 'a dick.'
4,884 Posts
nice!!

we have three 64s amongst me, the wife and my business partner.

it's an incredible year for stylish cars.

this should turn out great! take lots of pics of the build!

·
Banned
3,231 Posts
This'll be a neat project. If I had it, I'd hunt me a W motor to put in it and lose the hood-mounted luggage compartment.

·
Banned
3,231 Posts
That car woulda originally came with an early style 8.2" 10-bolt, the style with the removable center section like a 9" Ford. Also I think you'll find you won't like the M21 in front a 3.55 final. They were spec'd to use a 3.73 or numerically higher gear ratio. M20s were spec'd for 3.55 and numerically lower. M21s have a pretty tall 1st gear since they are a close ratio 4-speed. I reckon you can try it though.

·
12,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I agree. 1964 was a very stylish year. I will be sure to post plenty of pictures. I've been doing some pretty thorough reading on LS swaps with this body style.

This'll be a neat project. If I had it, I'd hunt me a W motor to put in it and lose the hood-mounted luggage compartment.
The hood will be lost as soon as I find someone who will take it or trade for a stock hood.
While a W motor would be neat, my dad wants to have the practicality and efficiency of a modern engine.

That car woulda originally came with an early style 8.2" 10-bolt, the style with the removable center section like a 9" Ford. Also I think you'll find you won't like the M21 in front a 3.55 final. They were spec'd to use a 3.73 or numerically higher gear ratio. M20s were spec'd for 3.55 and numerically lower. M21s have a pretty tall 1st gear since they are a close ratio 4-speed. I reckon you can try it though.
Unfortunately, the car was redone by some shop back in the 70s/80s. The lady who sold it to us bought back in 1981 when she was 18, and it had everything that is in it now, including the 402.

We'll see how the 3.55s work. If not, we can always change them out. I don't think the 12 bolt gears are pound-me-in-the-ass-priced like GTO gears.

·
Insert Witty Title Here
2,803 Posts
:mswerd:

While I like the '63's, there's just something about the '64's that I like more. Could be that it was my first car. :dunno:

FWIW, I absolutely HATE seeing one all ghetto'd out with hydro's and the like. :mad:

·
12,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FWIW, I absolutely HATE seeing one all ghetto'd out with hydro's and the like. :mad:
Well, the funny thing is that when I said, "5.3 swap," that was slang for, "all ghetto'd out with hydro's and the like."

·
May I quote you on that?
22,049 Posts
nice!!

we have three 64s amongst me, the wife and my business partner.

Moar pics of wife pls

·
Slayed by Gagtoe
618,141 Posts

·
move the eff over
7,196 Posts
I can see me driving one of those when I retire.

Preferably cruising the scene in Compton, bouncing along to some "gin and juice". y0

·
a dysgenic effect participant
385 Posts
While a W motor would be neat, my dad wants to have the practicality and efficiency of a modern engine.
A vortec swap would be easier and just a reliable. If you count the 90's as modern, then it's modern. Marine roller cam, electric choke carb, HEI, F-body brackets, nice headers… 350hp without much effort and a lot less work.

1 - 20 of 371 Posts