LS1GTO.com Forums banner

361 - 371 of 371 Posts

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,418 Posts
I must have missed the discussion on a white top but damn that's nice.

any other white bits planned like on the interior or such?

I watched an episode of garage squad the other day and they put up a portable paint booth that is like an inflatable bounce house. (big fan blows up the supports etc)
and I first thought of this project.

not to be a damper on anything but how do you plan to insure that or rather do you?

Course you know this means you'll have to now paint the elcamino next.

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #363
Yeah, we're happy with how the top came out. I saw a video on the inflatable paint booths and looked them up, but at $1200 for just the booth, it was just a bit too salty. Plus, the storage of such a behemoth would be another issue.

The only white in the interior is the shift knob. Otherwise, it is going to be a few shades of blue.

The car has an agreed value policy through Hagerty.

I will need to repaint the El Camino at some point, but I have another project waiting to go in once the Impala is done. :secret:

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,418 Posts
Good deal. Curious and don't post an answer if you don't want to but what's your agreed value? Do they have to inspect the finished car to underwrite that?

Looking forward to pics of it in the september sun - going down the road. (for example)

·
Token-Cracker African
3,487 Posts
Man, It's been years since I came to this thread.

So glad I did, paint looks fabulous.
How many coats of clear did you end up with?

·
12,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #366
Good deal. Curious and don't post an answer if you don't want to but what's your agreed value? Do they have to inspect the finished car to underwrite that?

Looking forward to pics of it in the september sun - going down the road. (for example)
I'm not sure what he put the value at. They just requested pictures of the car in its current state. I'm sure he will need to provide updated pictures once it is completed.

Man, It's been years since I came to this thread.

So glad I did, paint looks fabulous.
How many coats of clear did you end up with?
We followed the spec sheet and did two coats of clear.

·
12,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #367
It's been a little while, but we definitely haven't been sitting idle.

We fitted the new carpet, matching the original carpet color:

For the most part, it fit extremely well. It is nice knowing that this carpet is only glued in certain areas, unlike the original carpet that some yokel decided every square inch needed adhesive.

Then came time to install the front and rear windshield clips in preparation for the glass:

We had a company come in and install a new windshield and reinstall the original rear glass. They didn't charge extra for coming to the house. That was money well spent since they struggled with getting everything seated correctly, and even had to come back to reseat the rear gasket. Once the glass was in, the trim went on.

We also installed the dash pad, which is the original pad with a new cover glued over top and painted.

And the completed dash with the Dakota Digital cluster installed, as well as the outside trim:

We refurbished the original console, as well:

We took leftover seat foam and material and refreshed the console lid:

And then we bought some corrugated plastic and felt from Michael's for a total of $10 and made a new console compartment:

·
12,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #368
Now, one issue that we did come across is with the factory shift boot. It is just a square piece of rubber that sits recessed in the console. Unfortunately, because of this, it sat below the mounting points of the shifter handle:

No bueno.

So, I placed a call to our Polish friends at Redline Goods with some measurements and had them make a custom shift boot. I had to fabricate a mounting bracket for the boot, but it came out great.

·
12,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
I fabricated a mounting bracket to hold the end of the air intake in place:

The replacement trim clips were being little whores. We had to tack each clip and then thread each stud. If we didn't, the stud would break loose and spin.

Before installing the trim, the wetsanding had to begin:

Then came time to clean up and reassemble the front bumper and grill:

We picked up some halogen lenses from Vision X:

Next up is the side glass and the rest of the interior, starting with the headliner.

361 - 371 of 371 Posts