LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 3993 Posts

·
B====D~~ ~~~ ( . Y . )
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone here have some J Frame goodness? I don't have one, have never shot one or even held one but I've been strangely infatuated with them for awhile now. My father in law is looking for a just incase firearm and a J Frame seems to me like the ticket for someone that won't be overly into the hobby like us.

Arizona is a no registration, no permit to conceal state so a small, light, uncomplicated J might be his pot o gold. There is the 442 with carbon cylinder and no hammer, the 642 stainless cyl, the 638 shrouded for hammer pulling, but not snagging fun (but internal lock), and the one I lust for, the scandium/titanium 340PD power house fly weight.

What say you? Show me yer Js!

·
Dick Ross
7,241 Posts
Anyone here have some J Frame goodness? I don't have one, have never shot one or even held one but I've been strangely infatuated with them for awhile now. My father in law is looking for a just incase firearm and a J Frame seems to me like the ticket for someone that won't be overly into the hobby like us.

Arizona is a no registration, no permit to conceal state so a small, light, uncomplicated J might be his pot o gold. There is the 442 with carbon cylinder and no hammer, the 642 stainless cyl, the 638 shrouded for hammer pulling, but not snagging fun (but internal lock), and the one I lust for, the scandium/titanium 340PD power house fly weight.

What say you? Show me yer Js!
Not a J frame but here are some other small, simple pistols that you might also want to consider

M&P Shield- very small/ concealable and simple also heard they are really reliable

Glock 26- Small enough to fit in a pocket, buddies girlfriend carries it in her purse and gonna be honest shes an idiot but she handles that gun like a pro if she can anyone can, as for reliability... its a Glock

Never shot a J frame but heard really good things from them. I'm still lusting for an M&P .45 mid sized with the crimson trace grip. But every shop within 100 miles seems to not have them......

·
Offbeat Kill Analyst
801 Posts
perfect thread for these questions! Can you guys tell me if these are good deals? My AR loving friend is at work and if these are a good deal I want to snap them up now. My goal is to build a solid foundation AR upon which I can build. Not looking for top of the line, just level 8 stuff on a 1-10 scale. Not trying to impress the guys at the range, but don't want them to be smirking at me either. lol

Here is his emails (he was selling a complete custom rig minus upper and barrel that my friend said was a great deal, but of course it sold 2 hours after posting):
Just sold it today. I have a frontier arms polymer lower I could sell you. It has a standard trigger group, mil spec buffer tube, no buttstock -$225
Could throw in 5 G.I. steel mags-$50

I have other parts too, a stripped flat top upper, a low profile and a railed gas block with front sight, magpul mbus rear sight, birdcage flash suppressor, DPMS carbine length glacier guard hand guards,
Everything for $475

All you would need is the barrel and nut, delta pack, buttstock, bcg, and upper parts (charging handle, forward assist assembly, dust cover assembly)
will also have an aluminum cmmg lower available next week for $400

Doesn't really sound like a deal to me, but I'm a AR noob so what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
I pocket rock my DB9.

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
perfect thread for these questions! Can you guys tell me if these are good deals? My AR loving friend is at work and if these are a good deal I want to snap them up now. My goal is to build a solid foundation AR upon which I can build. Not looking for top of the line, just level 8 stuff on a 1-10 scale. Not trying to impress the guys at the range, but don't want them to be smirking at me either. lol

Here is his emails (he was selling a complete custom rig minus upper and barrel that my friend said was a great deal, but of course it sold 2 hours after posting):
Just sold it today. I have a frontier arms polymer lower I could sell you. It has a standard trigger group, mil spec buffer tube, no buttstock -$225
Could throw in 5 G.I. steel mags-$50

I have other parts too, a stripped flat top upper, a low profile and a railed gas block with front sight, magpul mbus rear sight, birdcage flash suppressor, DPMS carbine length glacier guard hand guards,
Everything for $475

All you would need is the barrel and nut, delta pack, buttstock, bcg, and upper parts (charging handle, forward assist assembly, dust cover assembly)
will also have an aluminum cmmg lower available next week for $400

Doesn't really sound like a deal to me, but I'm a AR noob so what do you guys think?
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/New_Frontier_Armory_Polymer_Lowers_s/20223.htm

·
Offbeat Kill Analyst
801 Posts
Thanks Gagtoe, guess he was trying to get one over on me. BTW, isn't the serial number on the lower? There site doesn't say anything about needing to ship to a FFW for me to pick up.

Now I could use some clarification: when the anti-gun nazi's finally outlaw AR's you can still buy the uppers right? So if I believed that a ban was coming it would make sense to just buy a handful of lowers and build them over the next couple years for me and my kids to have right? Uppers are just considered "parts" and should always be available even after a ban?

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
The lower is the only part that's registered, the link that opens to that page says those have to go to an FFL.

The uppers are mail order at this time, and are considered parts.

·
Offbeat Kill Analyst
801 Posts
In your opinion, if you had $500 you could put towards a probably irrational fear like uncle sam banning assault weapons within the next year, what would you do?

From what I've seen, the minute a ban starts getting talked about the price of EVERYTHING is gonna rise dramatically. I want to beat that rise. Also want a damned AR and have put it off for too long!

Not planning on putting more then a few thousand rounds thru each one as I have shotguns, rifles, and pistols that I will also shoot so long service life related shortcomings aren't too big a deal.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The first conceal carry pistol I bought was a Kahr K40. Felt like a dream and was shockingly thin for a 40s&w, only 0.90" wide. I got bored with it and thought I could do better so I sold it. Spent the next 12 years buying and selling different pistols not liking any of them. Came full circle and tracked down another K40 and could not be happier. I should have saved a decade of my life and kept the Kahr. For me its the perfect size for my frame. Just big enough to get a full grip on it and thin enough not to print. The trigger is also designed to mimic a revolver trigger so its a long butter smooth pull. I carry with a SmartCarry turned 45* so its on my right hip. The beauty of this holster is you can still carry without a belt. A BIG plus if you live in a hot area and like shorts or if you just want to bum around the house in sweats.

·
Offbeat Kill Analyst
801 Posts
got a question for you all now that I just got my light pressure switches in my hands: where the hell do I put it on my mossberg 12ga? HOW do I put it on my shotgun- or any gun or pistol?

I got a pistol grip, 18.5" barrel Mossberg Maverick (effectively same as 500). Light is at front of gun, not even sure if I can route the wire back to the pistol grip without it being in the way of the slide, or in danger of me grabbing the wire when I grab the slide to rack it. Can you imagine having that impeding your chambering another round? Damnit. Here is the one that I bought:

·
Dick Ross
7,241 Posts
Ok to add to the randomness, anyone besides me ever shoot an H&R 500? If you haven't don't just shoot one, get one... seriously. Don't know bout ya'll but in Southern Indiana we can't use rifles for deer unless we use pistol ammo. This rifle uses the S&W 500 revolver round, which can drop any, ANY game in North America. I got mine for around $250 with a scope at Ganders it is well worth it. If you look at videos on youtube of guys getting the shit knocked out of them when shooting it... its bullshit it doesn't kick all that bad I'd compare it to a 20 gauge. Which is funny because the barrel is about the size of a 20 gauge or 410.

Here is a picture

Its a break action but that's alright if you hit what your aiming for, it will go down. Trust me.

Here is the ammo

Like I said guys, get your hands on one! Sure the ammo is pricey but it is by far my favorite rifle.

·
Dick Ross
7,241 Posts
got a question for you all now that I just got my light pressure switches in my hands: where the hell do I put it on my mossberg 12ga? HOW do I put it on my shotgun- or any gun or pistol?
That threads into the light you should have already mounted, then you rout the switch to a comfortable place on the grip (I like it in my palm) and then attach the pressure switch with velcro

·
Offbeat Kill Analyst
801 Posts
That threads into the light you should have already mounted, then you rout the switch to a comfortable place on the grip (I like it in my palm) and then attach the pressure switch with velcro
Yeah lights been mounted for awhile, just ordered a few of these pressure switches because they were on sale - along with the lights, both together were 10 or 12 dollars? 400-500 lumens at least (they claim 1,000 lumens). Crap shoot as they come out of china with a 4-6 week delivery (mine was 4 weeks). I got lucky and mine work great, even with me running a set of batteries through each one (just over two hours till dead with streamlight 123 lithiums). Also put one through a torture test: dropped it, kicked it, rolled it down a hill, dropped it numerous times into my wheel barrow that was full of water, and it kept on going. That light is the one I'm gonna keep in my car for emergency use. "Emergency Use" means for shining in the eyes of jackasses that high beam me for no reason... lol

·
Registered lurker
535 Posts
In your opinion, if you had $500 you could put towards a probably irrational fear like uncle sam banning assault weapons within the next year, what would you do?

From what I've seen, the minute a ban starts getting talked about the price of EVERYTHING is gonna rise dramatically. I want to beat that rise. Also want a damned AR and have put it off for too long!
Just go buy one now. Stores are full of them again & prices seem to be back to normal. I'm seeing DPMS Sporticals back at WalMart for around 600 bucks (I'd spend a few more bucks for something a step or two above that, though).

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
Am I sick in the head for wanting a raging judge? I already have a judge, just want to be able to shoot 454.

·
B====D~~ ~~~ ( . Y . )
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Palmeto State Armory has an excellent mil-spec 16" AR for $700.

If you don't want to build, that's the one to get.

I'm currently building with MEGA forged lower/upper, BCM BCG, and probably Daniel Defense barrel. LMT lpk with ALG trigger...etc. Top tier goodness that ain't cheap, but is worth it.

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
CoolAid, I used to have a 642-2, hammerless 2" .38 +P 5 shot with factory crimson trace grips. It shot very close to the sights with factory +P loads. I worked up a load for it suing 158gr cast bullets and a powder charge that worked out to very hot 38 Spec but not quite into +P territory to get it to shoot exactly to the sights.

Good gun, but I upgraded to a 45 Colt belly gun and bought a FN5.7 for my wife, so didn't need it taking up room in the safe anymore. I still have a model 10 with shrouded hammer that was a gift from a family member, keeping that one.

1 - 20 of 3993 Posts