LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 956 Posts

·
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ
7,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*Update*
Later posts outline the V2 kit and V1/2 rear brakes.

This will be a little step by step guild to CTS-V1 brakes on a GTO. They will seem some track-day abuse and I will give my honest unbiased opinion on them.

I picked up the calipers from my local GM dealer. $360 out the door including the shim/pin kits.

First impressions; they are massive.

On a GTO the caliper mounts 180degrees off from the CTS-v location. This puts the bleeders pointing down so you have to move them to the top of the caliper. To do this you need to remove the crossover tubes and bleeders from both calipers then swap them over. They are covered in powdercoat so you will have to scrap the coating off the flare connections to get a wrench on them. The tubes are powdercoated to the body of the caliper so you will have to snap this off; this will leave an uncoated part of the caliper visible.

Brackets came in today; I sandblasted them and painted them with high-temp enamel.

Here is the cutting required on the caliper.

I'm using a big ass dremel bit in a drill to clearance the caliper. I taped up the pistons to keep metal shavings out.

HP+ pads.

Fastenal run for hardware. 12.9 grade 12mm 1.75 x 35mm and Nordlock washers.

·
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ
7,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Test fitting; had to do some grinding on the knuckle.

I had to do a good bit of grinding to clean up the knuckle so they would bolt up ok. The caliper seems .65mm off center to the inboard side; the pads till fit ok so I'm going to leave it be for now. It might cause pad wear issues down the road tho.

Another issue I found is that the rotor hats are thinner; so there is a lip on the hub. This lip keeps my wheel spacers from fitting so I will need to grind them.

Here they are ready to be bled.

Allready.

·
Pontiacfex Maximus
234 Posts
Can't wait to read your results. I got a set recently and have been saving and stocking-up the parts. My only reservation is grinding the caliper and hub. The instructions with the Proxses bracket shows the after photo that is obscured by powdercoating within the grinding area. Can you post a more detailed picture(s)? Thanks.

·
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ
7,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't wait to read your results. I got a set recently and have been saving and stocking-up the parts. My only reservation is grinding the caliper and hub. The instructions with the Proxses bracket shows the after photo that is obscured by powdercoating within the grinding area. Can you post a more detailed picture(s)? Thanks.
Yaa; looking at his pictures there is alot of grinding going on.

Want to sell me your brackets for $250? He is out of stock and I need them ASAP for an upcoming time trial.

·
Pontiacfex Maximus
234 Posts
I actually didn't order them yet; wound up same as you- sold out when I ordered. I already have the calipers, hardware. The rotors are from Summit and are due the 19th.

·
is Paranoid
96 Posts
What did you used to have? I have been recently introduced to...and hooked on that track crack, but I need something better than these stock brakes.

·
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ
7,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SO couldn't you just swap the caliper sides rather then relocate the bleeder screw? It looks symmetrical.
They have 2 small and 2 large pistons; if you flipped them side to side you would get some really messed up pad wear.

·
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ
7,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What did you used to have? I have been recently introduced to...and hooked on that track crack, but I need something better than these stock brakes.
I had stock 06 brakes. Never had any issues other some fade. I'm hoping bigger rotors will solve some of the fading issues.

·
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ
7,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gonna leave them painted the way they are? Get your bronze badge of badassery?
CMP on the 8th with them silver just so I can try to get them to look like this. They I will either sell them to someone with a BOM car or powdercoat them yellow. I will be hard pressed to get them that oranage in one time trial event tho.

·
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ
7,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had to spend $300 for brackets as Proxies was out of stock.

Hoping to have them on by Friday; AutoX on the first for a low speed test; then off to CMP on the 8th for some Time Trial abuse.

·
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ
7,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found a company in NC that will machine me custom rotor hats. $50 rotor rings plus the hats will be 7mm thicker so I don't need wheel spacers; and they will be hub centric.

·
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ
7,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
not as cool as fiveman
1,141 Posts
I would be interested in a setup like that if he wants to make some extras!

Looking forward to your update after the 8th. I want to do some autocross with mine (wouldnt be competitive in whatever class i would be dumped in, just for fun) and ive got the calipers in the garage already.

Are you going to be using dedicated track pads and street pads? Or somewhere in between? I have no idea which pads to get.

·
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ
7,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would be interested in a setup like that if he wants to make some extras!

Looking forward to your update after the 8th. I want to do some autocross with mine (wouldnt be competitive in whatever class i would be dumped in, just for fun) and ive got the calipers in the garage already.

Are you going to be using dedicated track pads and street pads? Or somewhere in between? I have no idea which pads to get.
I'm not expecting any improvement for AutoX; you go to bigger brakes to have more heat capacity and less fade; not more power. More bite/power is useless if you don't have the tire to use it.

Going to try HP+ for track/street to begin with. Will move back to Ceramics on the street if they are too noisy.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Noisiest pads that I've came by are the ebc yellow stuff, even with their back padding to help reduce squealing, car sounded like a freight train coming to a stop at every streetlight. It's the loudest pad I ever came across. But the car did have significantly improved braking over hawk hps. Noise went away after using loads of high temp caliper grease and a few hundred miles. I found stop tech street pads to work great as well, probably just as good or better than the oem brembo ones, and will throw them on my stock 17" setup.

I've done multiple brembo brake jobs and owned multiple cars equipped with brembos and I must say, If you're looking at track pads, go with the yellow stuff, you'll pay more, but you won't be dissapointed.

·
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ
7,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've done multiple brembo brake jobs and owned multiple cars equipped with brembos and I must say, If you're looking at track pads, go with the yellow stuff, you'll pay more, but you won't be dissapointed.
I had endless issue with EBC pads. Never again will I run them.

1 - 20 of 956 Posts