LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Theft deterrence question

Do you plan to use any theft deterrence mechanism on your new GTO other than the Theft Deterrent System that comes installed on the vehicle?

Engine immobilizer (engine disabled if an incorrect key is used) and content protection (alarm sounds if a door or trunk is unlocked improperly) are the main features of the system that comes in the GTO.

How effective do you think the factory-installed system will be?

Thanks,

Bobp16
:cool:

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I plan on adding Lojack for that 'just in case' situation and adding a motion alarm. The motion alarm is not so much for theft deterence as notifying me if somebody touches (ie dings) my car, so I can distribute punishment accordingly;)

·
Registered
189 Posts
The factory theft deterent system appears like it will be very effective. You cannot hotwire the car or start it with a copy of one of your keys. Unless someone gets one of your keys they are not driving you car away. The alarm will not sound unless a door or the trunk is forced open. LoJack would be a nice addition in case someone finds a way to steal it but I personnally think a motion alarm would be a noisy waste of money.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I'm thinking about LoJack solely for it's tracking ability SHOULD the car get stolen. Otherwise with the factory system, the only way someone is gonna get if they are not a career car thief (with computer scanners and stuff) is if they flatbed/tow it away.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The factory system is fine with me. If someone takes it I dont want it back after that anyway.

·
Official Dragon Straightner
6,438 Posts
There is a new product call Guidepoint that is supposed o be cheaper than lojack.
It is GPS based.

·
Registered
84 Posts
No. My car will always be parked in a garage when home. I work on a military base with security out the a** so no concerns during the day. I'll take the wife's Jeep if I need to go out late at night to the mall!:D

·
Registered
522 Posts
Have you seen the Keys? Why are the keys so big?
The keys have the remote control incorporated. In Aussie the tough thing is a belt-clip with your keys hanging off your board shorts!:drink:

The doors and trunk also have a hardened dead lock - double-click the remote lock button, and no-one's opening a door; inside or outside, even if you open the door lock from inside. You can lock someone in the car if you want.

Don't stop 'em breaking a window, but you can't force anything open.

Remember all these act as a spur to some thieves inventivity, but no-one's stealing this car in a hurry. No 'gone in eleven seconds'

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Same here, OnStar can track it too if it's stolen. TOO BAD WE DON'T HAVE IT! :mad:

·
May I quote you on that?
22,049 Posts
Anyone have any experience with Directed Electronics (Viper, Python, Clifford) stuff. They have a system quite a bit like OnStar. It is GPS based, with live operators, internet tracking, and optional roadside assist features. It is apparently pretty pricey. Don't mind initial price if they don't rape you on ongoing subscription charges. They also have a different unit for carjacking, which will kill the car a short distance after they take off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts