LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
It's on the passenger side, front of motor, real easy to change on this car. It's a whole T-stat and housing in one piece. You can't miss it.

http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm?catagory=fuel

scroll down to Hypertech Powerstat. Everything you need is there. T-stat, housing, rubber o-ring.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Why do you need to replace the housing?

·
549 RWHP and 569 TQ
414 Posts
They didn't show it for the GTO so I put in '03 Vette and found one. Is this the same one for GTO?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wavydavy GTO said:
They didn't show it for the GTO so I put in '03 Vette and found one. Is this the same one for GTO?

You think ls1speed.com would list all the LS1 engine parts that fit the Corvette, Trans AM, Camaro, GTO.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Same. If you look closely, the link I posted before was for my '98 Camaro.

It's pshychological. Most people who want to purchase parts want to put in their car to list the catalog. If I own a Trans Am, I don't want to see a "universal" fit LS1 part. I want to see it specifically listed for "Trans Am" or "Camaro", etc, etc. It gives a mental sense of assuredness that you're getting the right part.

It just so happens that like I've repeatedly posted, an LS1 thermostat is an LS1 thermostat regardless of the vehicle the LS1 is physically bolted in. The reason it comes as one housing is because the T-stat (and whole housing) is mounted sideways on the front ot the block. It's easier to replace the housing and T-Stat as one unit than trying to fumble putting a T-stat in, o-ring gasket, then housing and then making sure it's all sealed. It all comes as one piece. Simply disconnect the cooling line, unbolt the 10mm bolts (if memory serves me right), remove stock T-stat, replace with aftermarket unit, bolt it back down, connect the cooling line, and of course re-fill and re-purge your cooling system (depending on how much coolant you loose).

A little tip, go over to Sears, go into their automotive section, by a hose clamping tool that effectively pinches the hose before you remove it from the T-stat housing. This will limit a lot of coolant loss and eliminate much of the need to re-purge the system once back together. When you remove the T-stat, you'll lose a little coolant, but not as much

·
TBYRNE Performance
4,529 Posts
Has anyone tried to change the thermostat in their GTO yet? I've found that GM has changed the thermostat design in the 2004 C5 and trucks. Those vehicles up to 2003 used a part that was one piece (thermostat and housing). They are now just the thermostat by themselves.

Tom

Order line - 1-877-4-TBYRNE
E-mail - [email protected]

Price Match Plus policy

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tbyrne said:
Has anyone tried to change the thermostat in their GTO yet? I've found that GM has changed the thermostat design in the 2004 C5 and trucks. Those vehicles up to 2003 used a part that was one piece (thermostat and housing). They are now just the thermostat by themselves.

Tom

Price Match Plus policy

Good thing I havn't bought one yet.

Your the parts guy...see what you can find out. :D

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I wonder if that means they won't be 50 bucks.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
From what I've read - it won't do anything to your power so long as the rest of your tune / octane settings are not giving detonation. If they are, you can mess with the fan settings and try to run cooler before installing the t-stat. Here's a decent discussion on the topic - note the 2 links about 1/2 way down page 1 are good reading as well as the article I'm referencing:
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129772&highlight=thermostat
Dan

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
As I mentioned on the PM, a thermostat is always on the outlet side of an engine. Otherwise it'd never open cause it'd never get hot enough the other way around.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
tbyrne said:

Tom

Price Match Plus policy
Tom, I ordered the same part as I did for my Camaro (1998). Hypertech part# 1014. It bolted right in and has been running fine since. On the gauge it used to run just before the halfway mark and now runs at the first 1/4 mark.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts