LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many of these items were pointed out to me by Alexandria-GTO and others on the boards.

• Do not remove the rear deck speakers. There is a very audible whine from the fuel pump that comes through from the trunk. Also when a bass note hits the gas tank, it is wrapped in a plastic shell and rattles... to my knowledge there is no fix.
  • The plastic shell around the gas tank rattles against the safety bars. You need to insert foam cushions between the tank and bars.
  • Use XTC Foam Baffles or build your own for the rear speakers. That backwave from those speakers fly up through the entire rear of the car.
  • The temp sensor for the mirror needs to be run to the rear of the car. The engine bay gets VERY hot during idle. Other than that, the rear view mirror is a very easy install.
  • The entire rear deck needs to be removed and dyna/raam-matted. TONS of rattles there.
  • I haven't found it yet, but there are rattles in the pillar just behind the driver and passenger ears that are very loud and distinct.
  • The third brake light has a huge rattle in it. We dismantled it and used polyfill to hush it up.
  • The rear tire needs A LOT of clearance to remove. If you plan on mounting your amp to the back of the trunk and keep the spare, make sure you can remove it before locking everything down. In my case, it was impossible so a few suggested fixes are adding hinges to the mounting board, deflating the tire a bit then reinflating when it is out, living with having to unscrew items to get the tire out.
  • You will need a suprising amount of cable to run from the battery to the trunk. This is mainly due to the rear seat to trunk hump the wire has to climb. Seems you will need about 100' of speaker cable and 20' of power cable for a full system.
  • The head unit does put out a clean signal so you can use a speaker to line level converter. You won't be disappointed with the output of the head unit.
  • Buy about a dozen or more bags of polyfill. You will be stuffing that everywhere in this car to deaden the reverb. It seems there is a body inside a body in the car from the rear set back and the entire thing needs stuffing.
  • One other think to toss out there. When you bring your wires into the trunk, watch out for the trunk lift struts, when the trunk is closed the struts and the arms can come dangerously close to binding up a wire run in via the holes from the rear seat.
If you have other experiences not listed here, include them below. I wish I knew about a lot of this stuff before I went in.

·
Registered
344 Posts
straegen said:
  • I haven't found it yet, but there are rattles in the pillar just behind the driver and passenger ears that are very loud and distinct.
  • The rear tire needs A LOT of clearance to remove. If you plan on mounting your amp to the back of the trunk and keep the spare, make sure you can remove it before locking everything down. In my case, it was impossible so a few suggested fixes are adding hinges to the mounting board, deflating the tire a bit then reinflating when it is out, living with having to unscrew items to get the tire out.
  • You will need a suprising amount of cable to run from the battery to the trunk. This is mainly due to the rear seat to trunk hump the wire has to climb. I think we ended up with a 15' run.
If you have other experiences not listed here, include them below. I wish I knew about a lot of this stuff before I went in.
--Check your seat belt mounts both low and high in your B pillars, I bet thats where the noise is coming from.

--I can provide a template (or I will just post one) for a mounting board that will bold up against the gas tank roll cage and allow you to still remove the rear tire.

--I used well over 85' of speaker wire, and my RCA patch cables are 20ft long. (That will give you enough room to get to the HU from the trunk). My battery run was right on par at 16'

One other think to toss out there. When you bring your wires into the trunk, watch out for the trunk lift struts, when the trunk is closed the struts and the arms can come dangerously close to binding up a wire run in via the holes from the rear seat.

Straegen looking forward to pics !!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alexandria-GTO said:
--Check your seat belt mounts both low and high in your B pillars, I bet thats where the noise is coming from.

--I can provide a template (or I will just post one) for a mounting board that will bold up against the gas tank roll cage and allow you to still remove the rear tire.
I will check those seat belt mounts. Sounds like the culprit. Will be a few more days before I have time to rip everything back apart.

Alexandria-GTO said:
One other think to toss out there. When you bring your wires into the trunk, watch out for the trunk lift struts, when the trunk is closed the struts and the arms can come dangerously close to binding up a wire run in via the holes from the rear seat.
My mounting board is perfect, but my amp is sticking out about 1.5 inches too far and there really isn't anything I can do about it. I am thinking about using your hinge idea, but for now I have to take four amp mounting screws out and pull the amplifier off the mounting board to get the tire out. The amplifier is huge, but it is one amp that runs everything including a class D sub channel and I love it.

Alexandria-GTO said:
Straegen looking forward to pics !!
I still have quite a bit of work to do. The system sounds great, but I have the fuel pump whine to deal with, rattles everywhere, mount the symmetry control panel to the top of the trunk, some kind of speaker noise is getting into the system, fab a removable sub box, baffle the rear speakers, polyfill the entire car, seal off my caps in plexiglass and a host of other tidbits.

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
sounds like all that insulation will add a lot of weight!

·
Registered
262 Posts
polyfill is very light - 5 bags might add 2 pounds... I filled the side panels of my Formula with it, and it cleaned up the midbass considerably (I have diamond M5 separates, setup 3-way)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brains said:
polyfill is very light - 5 bags might add 2 pounds... I filled the side panels of my Formula with it, and it cleaned up the midbass considerably (I have diamond M5 separates, setup 3-way)
It won't be much and certainly not enough to notice on a 3700+ pound vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts