1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Official Dragon Straightner
6,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
large member
105 Posts
I agree with your point but franky I could care less what others think about my 04. Anyway, I still have my 67. On another thing, that car on ebay looks real cool, Ive never seen a goat with dogdish hubcaps and am wondering if they came with the car. I thought all later goats have nice wheels or "delux" hubcaps.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
We got into another "The new GTO sucks" thread on our local MFBA board within the past month and one of the members who just purchased a new Grand Prix GTP Comp G package car was complaining about the styling of the GTO. Myself and another guy pretty much backed him into a corner and basically told him it was the pot calling the kettle black as he was complaining it was too bland unlike the original.

So while I had a hard time finding a '64 GTO and a '64 Tempest (good pictures) I found a '65 of each and posted them to illustrate that the GTO that started the whole muscle car revolution wasn't a styling masterpiece of it's "donor" car either. Here are the pics: Other than a hood scoop, revised grill, GTO badges, and of course the GTO being a 2 door hardtop and the Tempest a regular coupe, there wasn't much differentiation!!!

'65 GTO

'65 Tempest

WOW!!! What a styling difference!!!

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
cvp33 said:
Delux hubcaps. Now that sounds funny. :p :D :)
That's what they called back then. THe hubcaps that were chosen on my '66 Catalina were the "Delux" version, as was the upgraded radio (a "delux" option) etc, etc. :)

That's the way they denoted an upgrade back then.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Never said it didn't. It's just that those who remember the GTO only remember the later Judge versions with Orange paint, a wing, black and yellow "Judge" logos and by the time 1974 came around a weezer emissions laden 400 or 455 up front.

They fail to realize that the original '64 GTO was a thinly disguised GM 'commuter' car that was bland in styling also and looked like every other Pontiac in the lineup at the time.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The '64 was even more bland than the '65 CMNTMXR showed. the triangular GTO emblem on the sides, GTO badges front and BAck and the two non-functional hood scoops. The prior year tempests were swing axle with trans in the back. The '64 first year with solid axle. They did have the 326 with a HO version which was modestly quick for the time. The GTO option cost $295. Whole car was about $3200 my memory. Wouldn't stop or turn worth s... I remember a time, with the speedo pointing staight down ( 120 was about 4 o'clock so maybe 130), tach at best would pull in any gear (about 5700 before valves/points floated) trying to stop to make a high speed exit from some Upper New York state highway. Seems a state trooper took exception to the 90 plus we went by his radar trap. We made the corner, He didn't. I was still late to class.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Uhhhh.....

·
Registered
429 Posts
no thanx on the older bmws i was just kidding on the plain white 68 its ok but not for me now the judges are what everyone liked but to much for some a co worker back in 70 didnt want the judge so he ordered a blue on blue 4spd no air gto with 14 inch ralley wheels and still has it//

1 - 10 of 10 Posts