Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about installing a clear bra after getting the front bumper painted. Has anyone here installed this product on any of their vehicles? What about paint fading?
BTW, they have the kit for the 2004 GTO, so it's already pre-cut ...
Any other suggestions?
Gianni

·
Sensible Contributor
1,439 Posts
Gianni D said:
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about installing a clear bra after getting the front bumper painted. Has anyone here installed this product on any of their vehicles? What about paint fading?
Any other suggestions?
Gianni
I have looked on the web for this stuff in Australia - can't find it anywhere. I do one 200km trip on a freeway each week, and the front of my car is already sandblasted.

Are Scotch/3M the only people who make it ?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
isszy said:
I have looked on the web for this stuff in Australia - can't find it anywhere. I do one 200km trip on a freeway each week, and the front of my car is already sandblasted.

Are Scotch/3M the only people who make it ?
if you go to the 3M website there's a list of installers for every state and I believe for every country too ...

There's a kit for the 04 GTO. I'll go tomorrow to check on the price ...

I'll keep you guys posted,
Gianni

·
Registered
980 Posts
Gianni D said:
Hi guys,

Any other suggestions?
Gianni
I am getting one. I am waiting for my installer to get a firm price. I will get my front end touched up and have it installed as soon as all the touch up cures.

Price so far is $350-450

·
Registered
26 Posts
I talked with a Rep. from Llumar window tint films, ( Martinsville, VA) and they have a product that I think is similar to what you are talking about. According to him, this is something to put on the front of a car and protect from dings; cannot even tell it is there.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Gianni D said:
Hi guys,

Any other suggestions?
Gianni
I had the 3-M clear film installed about 2 weeks ago. I checked around in the Phoenix metro area. Two places used pre-cut kits. The third, the one I chose, cut the pieces from stock. The latter said that they had tried kits before and found them lacking in fit/coverage. The jury is still out in the satisfaction arena, but I'm generally pleased. They did a really nice job with the cutting and fitting. The installer pointed out a couple of small air bubbles, which he said will disappear in a couple of weeks. They haven't and I plan to take it in for a look-see. I'm not too crazy about their removing the pieces in question, though.

I'm sure you will, or at least should, see some vehicles with the installed product. Depending on the area, you will notice the edge; the film is 8 mil, I believe. My color is YellowJacket and the edge across the hood, about quarter of the way back from the leading edge is visible, but not objectionable to me, anyway. Likewise the strips down the door edges. I've noticed some bunching of the film on the inside surfaces of body contour changes, such as on the inside of the door edges. They're not particularly noticeable, except when I'm washing/polishing the car, which I did yesterday. I Zainoed (sp ?) everything, including the filmed areas. I was careful to buff from the filmed area, rather than toward the film edge. Eight hours later, it still looks freakin' beautiful.

The installed product, kit or custom-cut, isn't cheap. What I had done cost $590--

Front quarter of the hood
Front bumper area, plus head-and fog light lenses
Door edges (the vertical edges, that is)
Trailing third of the painted portion of the sheet metal exposed to pebbles, etc. thrown back by the tires (areas where you would otherwise install splashguards)
Rocker panels (other than the aluminum strip) and the entire outside portion extending from the front to rear tires.
The top portion of the rear bumper that forms a "sill" in front of the trunk that is exposed to bumps and scrapes from careless stowing by others and unavoidable accidental bumps that you or I might commit.

A kit installer in "fashionable" Scottsdale quoted me $900+ for basically what I had done. A kit installer had a basic kit for about $350 and ala carte pricing for the additional surfaces that I ended up having done. So the cost there would have been about what I ended up paying.

What influenced my decision to install the film is the protection and durablility that is promised, plus its removability without damage to the paint. We shall see. My philosophy in the finish protection arena is that I will do what I can, within reason - cost and timewise -- and watch where you park. The first-time Zaino experience pushes the limits, but it sure is purty. By the same token, this ain't the Mona f---'g Lisa. If you're afraid it'll get scratched, leave it on display in the dealer showroom and save $30+ grand, to boot.

I hope you find this helpful.

Ken
:thumbs:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Ken,

Thanks a lot for the information. I'm thinking about doing the hood, front bumper, lights, mirrors, and possibly the mudflap area in the front. I will ask for quotes pretty soon ...

Thanks again,
Gianni

·
Registered
139 Posts
Please post pics of your cars with either film applied.

Thx, Jag
'04 Cosmo, 6 Spd

·
Registered
523 Posts
jaguarcult said:
Please post pics of your cars with either film applied.

Thx, Jag
'04 Cosmo, 6 Spd
I would if I had a digital camera and the knowhow. I suspect that from a photo, you couldn't detect any difference between the filmed and nonfilmed areas, except maybe for the trailing edge along the hood and the door vertical edges, if the lighting and angle were just right. You'd have to be looking for them, though. Regardless of lighting -- full Arizona sun to gloomy garage -- I see no difference in the shine or color. A casual observer probably wouldn't notice the film edges. I took my YellowJacket to a "drive-in" auto show at a local shopping mall. Quite a few people looked it over; nobody commented on the film.

I have the 3-M product.

But, here's the thing to do. Whichever installer you check out, ask them to apply a scrap piece on the hood and another on the front bumper. In other words, see it for yourself from a couple of angles. I believe it's just water that they apply to the adhesive side. You can peel it off right after, or later. The film itself is inexpensive. Like just about everything, the cost isn't in the parts; it's the labor. Considering what the job will cost, assuming you're not doing it yourself, the installers should be happy to spare you some scraps and about 30 seconds max per sample. Better yet, look at a vehicle, preferably similar in color to your own, that's being filmed. Check out how precisely they cut the film, whether it's a kit installation or custom (which mine was). And look at how well the film conforms to complex contours and tight bends in the sheet metal, e.g. on the door edges, or whatever you're considering filming. Mine aren't perfect, but I'm okay with them. Considering that I'm trying to avoid chipping, I'm not going to allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good, so to speak.

The real test is how well it holds up. We'll have to wait that one out at bit.

Hope this helps. Good luck, Jag.

Ken

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

·
Sensible Contributor
1,439 Posts
Any Aussies interested

For any Aussies who are interested in this treatment, I found a place in Australia that sells the Scotchcal film and another that can supply and fit.

www.ozicozi.com.au can supply and fit a Commodore for $295. they are in Melbourne and Sydney.

Colour Source in Melbourne can supply the film if you want to try yourself. Look them up in www.whitepages.com.au

·
Registered
2004 M6 PMB
307 Posts
After reading some of the post about the paint chipping, I just had the Clear Shield paint protection film installed. Definitely worth paying someone whom is experienced to do the job. The curves at the front of the hood took the installer awhile to smooth. The film boundary lines are only noticable when I look at a very close distance. I will take that over chips.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am an installer for a company called Lexshield here in Phoenix, Arizona. Our product is from ventureshield and is a precut pattern. It is the only pattern that wraps around the hood edges. There is no cutting on the car involved with our product. We feel it is too dangerous and we would rather not have to repaint your vehicle for you. If there are any other questions that anyone would like to know I would be happy to answer them. And if any are interested our product costs $395 and it covers the front quarter of the hood and fenders, the front bumper and the side mirrors. We can also install door edges and other products if requested. Thanks very much for your time.

gto12
Anthony

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have had the 3M on My 2000 Lincoln LS for 4 years since I bought it as a pre-owned. The bumper and hood as well as the rear views look great. 65K on the vehicle, no fading or discolor, and the best part is it does not look like it was sand blasted. Also had it put on the GTO as well. I would highly recommend

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had one installed in September and love it. Definitely recommend it. Very hard to see in most light. I had the lights covered too...

·
'04 645Ci
989 Posts
I have it installed on my hood, the front lights, the front fascia, the door handles, and my mirrors. I've done it to the last three cars I've owned and it is literally the first purchase I make on any new car (I usually do tint at the same time). In Colorado, the road maintenance crews "sand" the roads during snowstorms and invariably you get 1/2" size pebbles thrown into the mix. The great thing about the clear bra is that it virtually invisible until you get close and it is great at protecting the car from wayward pebbles and bugs (wish I could install it on the windshield, as well!).

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the 3M Invinca-Shield kit installed...

Hey folks. I'm a newbie here and finally decided to join and chime in here. I've had my Yellow Jacket M6 for about 6 weeks now. The first think I knew I wanted to do was put paint protection film on it. I got the 3M kit through Invinca-Shield. The full kit is 4 bumper pieces, fender end caps, leading hood, leading roof, A pillars, Mirror housings and mirror bases (14 pieces total.) The kit ran me $340 shipped and labor was $400. The stuff is pretty slick. Up Close you can see the seams where the four bumper pieces meet under the front emblem and you can see the relief cuts on the inside corners of the headlamp pocket on the bumper cover. And of course from the side you can see the edge of the hood and roof pieces. Around the emblem, and openings like the grille and foglamp pockets the film wraps in rather nicely, tighter than I expected. I look at it like this, I'd much rather see the edges and seams of the film versus seeing chips and dings in the nose. Its not a perfect application, I have a couple small pinhead sized bubbles here and there, but nothing worth complaining about. I've got pictures of my nose but unless you view them at at least half of the full resolution, you can't tell anything. I'm thinking of having some custom cut pieces applied to the top sill of the rear bumper cover (under the rear applique panel) and on the lower ear edges of the fenders and along the rocker molding and on the front corners of the rear bumper cover along the wheel opening, all of which are areas prone to chips and lotsa dirt and grit buildup. Anyway, thats just my input.

·
Registered
116 Posts
How to get air bubbles out of your clearbra without being charged for it

For all of you who have already installed a clearbra on your vehicle and notice that there are small air bubbles in the pattern do not pay the installer to fix the problem. Just fix it yourself it is very easy to do. All you need is a needle of some sort. A syringe would be preferred. Then you want to take the tip of the needle and poke the very bottom of the bubble parallel to your car being careful not to scratch or chip your paint. Once you have the tip of the needle in gently push the air out through the open hole with the needle until all the air is gone. That is the easiest way to do it without having to worry about having it worked on and possibly charged more or anything.
Hope this tip will help some of you out.

gto12
Anthony

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.