LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about getting a 05 or 06 GTO and was wondering a few things....

-BBK's, is the wilwood a good kit (4-wheel)?
-wheels, what is the widest you can fit in an 18" size. Also, what are the widest tire sizes
-naturally aspirated add-on's: best intake, exhaust, headers, pullies... and what are the expected hp adds.
-suspension, do they make front and rear strut bars, who makes the best sways?
-xenon lights.. I have OEM adaptive xenon lights on my car, are xenon lights possible on the GTO?
-is this a good quality car? (I know not as good as a 2004 BMW coupe, but is it good quality?)
-What is the best year to get?

It looks like lingenfelter has the highest quality products, but I may be wrong. I am coming from a 2004 bmw 330ci performance package and I had a rx-8 before that. Just thinking about getting a GTO. I have always admired them and they seem like a good deal. Speaking of deal, what do you think I could get a new manual tranny 06 for with incentiveS?

·
O-TOWN Track Coordinator
161 Posts
JUST GET THE GOAT. hid lamps are made for us, CAI has been beat to death to each his own, 04 has a 5.7 05-06 has a 6.0 up to you go fro a ride and see. use the search button for more answers. too many variables

·
Registered
796 Posts
Quite a few things to answer:
---I've read good things about thw wilwood.
---Wheels with fender rolling you could get 9.5" width on back, 8.5" up front.
---Question 3 is very open ended, you could ask several people about all of those and get several different responses. Intake is your choice though you could search using "hardcore" to see the do it yourself option that is cheaper and a little colder than the CAI's(though it is a little harder on '05 and '06 due to washer fluid reservoir). There is also the FAST 90/90 you can look into, never really impressed me for it's bang for the buck. A ported and polished TB can get you 10hp. Exhaust would be for sound and that would be your choice, there are clips of several on here. Headers, most likely you would want long tubes and there are a few choices, Kooks and Stainless Works are the 2 I've seen most. Personally I have catless midpipes with shorty headers, would recommend catless with whatever headers(for sound and performance). Pullies, ASP or SLP, I have SLP and it works but it's your choice.
---Yes there are aftermarket strut bars that are better than the stock one. Sway bars can be bought from several vendors linked on this site.
---Xenons, I want to say yes but I am unsure.
---I would say this is a very good quality car, BY FAR way better quality than most non-owners would ever give it credit for. Also if you want to add on components to bring it to the price of a BMW 330ci then, well let's not go there since it's my opinion. Suffice to say I have ridden in an '03 M3 and I was not impressed any more than by my GTO interior. Believe me if you sit in a GTO you will like it.
---The best year to get, probably an 06, the power seat speed makes me say that. What can you get one for? That all depends on dealerships near you. I know they don't have any at the Pontiac place where I live but they can always find one.
I'd say check out vendors to the left. Also if there is anything not answered by me just search.

·
Registered
463 Posts
coming from a 330ci with pretty gutless low end u will LOVE the goat, 5.7 or 6.0, plenty of low end grunt. As that guy said ^ go for a ride and see,
i just paied 31k before tax for a loaded 6 speed manual on labour day with incentives. Also, automatic gtos have a 1300 dollor gas guzzler fee when u purchase 1, not sure if its all over USA or just in certain states, but its something to ask arround about if u are consideriring an auto.

Good luck with ur decision

Paul

·
Addicted to the go fast pedal
1,000 Posts
I came from having a 2001 330ci also.. I miss the car for some of it's luxury features but I wouldn't give up the power, interior, and the rarity that I have with this car.. Here in the 757 area (va beach, and surrounding areas), I see a TON of BMW's driving around.. On a good day I'll run into maybe 1 or 2 GTO's a WEEK..

I couldn't see myself going back to a BMW.. Maybe an older E36 for a DD so I don't kill this car with miles.. I can't help it tho.. I love to DRIVE THIS CAR..

matter a fact I can't wait to get in it to drive home.. Such a stress reliever from work :D

Oh and I guess to answer some of your questions.. LOL

- Lots of good rim choices, honestly I love my 18" stockers as they flow well with the car.. Check out the multimedia part of this site..
- N/A there is an amazing amount of bolt ons that you could do without internal work
- strut bars.. yes..
- xenon.. yes
- quality.. oh yeah.. these are built quite well.. You may run into occasional things that need to be fixed but you have that with any car.. I know I did with my BMW..
- best year.. I went with 05 due to the bigger motor and less I would have to do in the future(power wise).. You can't go wrong with either tho.. I'd go with an 06 tho.. I love the colors brazen orange or spice red.. I want 1 so bad..

Overall I'd say I'm extremely happy with my decision on the goat.. I wouldn't take it back ever..

I got a really good deal.. The dealership I bought my car from had it listed for 34k.. I got it for 27.5k.. Military discounts and all the extra discounts they could find.. I'm sure if you show lots of interest, and give them a hard time they will give you a good price.. Work them!

Let us know what you decide on doing.. Get the Brazen Orange hehe :D

·
Used to have one
4,734 Posts
dizz81 said:
Let us know what you decide on doing.. Get the Brazen Orange hehe :D
i agree with this gentleman about the brazen orange!

the GTO has a great build quality..lots of leather and or soft touch plastics, and suede inserts here and there...its not your typical GM build quality here. plus the power difference between the 2 cars is enough to overlook alot of the luxury items you'd be giving up...think refined simplicity. no climate controll but the HVAC system is great. both seats are power ajustable, and the back seats are comfortable enough to fit 2 adults with plenty of room. there are plenty of aftermarket parts to throw at the car...full bolton GTO's hit nearly 400whp without any internal engine work at all, plus the attention this car gets (especially in Brazen orange) is incredible. good luck :patriot:

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
Jeuprx-8 said:
-BBK's, is the wilwood a good kit (4-wheel)?
-wheels, what is the widest you can fit in an 18" size. Also, what are the widest tire sizes
-naturally aspirated add-on's: best intake, exhaust, headers, pullies... and what are the expected hp adds.
-suspension, do they make front and rear strut bars, who makes the best sways?
-xenon lights.. I have OEM adaptive xenon lights on my car, are xenon lights possible on the GTO?
-is this a good quality car? (I know not as good as a 2004 BMW coupe, but is it good quality?)
-What is the best year to get?
-Wilwood Brakes are good and so are Stoptechs.
-CCW makes an 18x10 for the rear and 18x8.5 for the front. Some GTO's require a little fender rolling but not all. Most run 275's on the Rear and I've seen 1 285 on Toyo's
-Bolt on parts very, but Long tube headers make a noticeable difference. Keep in mind it also makes the exhaust louder. The rest you listed will add some HP.
-Front Strut bars are available but there is no rear bar. Hotchkis along with some springs and shocks makes a huge difference. Also a few key bushings make the car corner much better without being very harsh.
-There are HID kits available.
-Over all hell yes. The BMW interior materials are a little better but they feel pretty close to my friends 2005 330I
-At this point Id get the 2006, unless you’re looking for a deal then get a 2005.

Hope that helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts