LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the stock rims, and would like to keep the stock rims since they look pretty good, plus can not drop the bank to spend 3k for new rims. Anyway, I have stock 18's on the GTO and was looking for a stickier tire that would help 0-60 and in the 1/4th. I was specifically looking at the Nitto 555's.

My 2 questions::

Can i go up to 285 Nitto 555's without rolling the fender? Would it rub?
Would 275/35ZR18 95W Fit on a stock 18 in rim without rolling fender, and would it rub?

285/35ZR18 97W 10.5- tread depth 25.95 - inflated diamater 11.30- overall width 9.5-(10.0)-11.0 - approved rim measurement.

OR​

275/35ZR18 95W 10.6- tread depth 25.59 - inflated diamater 10.71 - overall width 9.0-(9.5)-11.0 approved rim measurement.​

There is also 275/40ZR18 103W, what would the main difference be between those and the 275/35ZR18 95W? I was leaning towards the 275/35ZR18 95W since theyre lower profiile. If you know about Nittos and have them I would really appreciate the help. Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
To make my question short :

What is the largest tire I can put on a stock 18x8 rim ( width wise)? And what is the stickiest street tire?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was also looking at the BFG g force drag radial...but im unsure if they would be good for everyday driving..would these fit? P275/35R18/LL - BFG

·
My normal state of affairs...
5,909 Posts
well, nittos tend to run smaller. a 275 nitto looks like a 255 BFG, so you should be able to pull those off with no-minimal rub. you just might be able to run a 285 nitto with rolling the fenders.

now a 275 BFG? doubt it without new wheels and fener rolling

·
My normal state of affairs...
5,909 Posts
actually, yea. i dont think you could do a 285 on stock rims for DD safely. it would work fine for the track, but i wouldnt wnana drive on it every day.

a 285 nitto would be like a 265 BFG. the max i would go is a 255 BFG on stock 8" rims. if theres too much tire on a rim, in a quick manevuer, the tire can roll over on its sidewall and blow off the rim. that wouldnt be pretty

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Whatever you do, don't drive in the rain with Nittos. At least a couple of people here on the boards have had accidents/lost control of their GTO's in rain conditions with Nitto drag radials installed.

Just wanted to interject that into your thoughts... no idea if your car is a daily driver or not.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Ya', not good for the wet roads. I just take it easy on wet roads (or leave it at home on rainy days).

·
I ♥ U HRJ, ♥ ME 2
109 Posts
Nitto's are junk. Spend the extra cash and get some extra wheels and slap some M/T's on 'em.

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
DeepBlueZ said:
Absolutely not true....

I had two sets of them on my Z28. They are perfectly fine in the rain as long as they aren't bald and you drive with a level of restraint.
Ask sxty8goats about his accident at the Nats. There was another recent (last week or two) member who crashed/lost it in the rain, admitting it probably was his Nittos that caused him to lose traction.

Or, ask PadreGTO about his experience with drag radials (admittedly not Nittos, but Mickey Thompson's) and his "mud-drifting" incident (passing a semi on the freeway at 60 mph in a rainstorm)...

If you're gonna put Nittos on the car, don't drive it in the rain. Or, have a set of all-seasons you use on the roads, keeping the Nittos for the track.

·
Registered
386 Posts

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Seems I always get mentioned in threads like this. :shiner:

Bottom line is I will NEVER drive with ANY drag radials on my daily driver again. Yes, it can be done, and Nittos are your best choice for a daily driver, not a drag car.

I ran better 60's on my 19" 265 Toyo Proxes street radials than I did on my Nitto DRs. However, the Nittos were more consistent.

On the road, what happened to me with my M/T DR's was this: the front tires had more traction than the rears, so when I was buffeted by the draft coming off a truck that I was slowly overtaking, the front tires held, and the rear let loose and I did a nice little pirouette in front of an 18-wheeler.

No matter the tire, different traction on front vs. rear will cause you problems on a daily driver. Yes, you can get away with it on the drive out to the track if you're careful. I drove through monsoons with my Nittos, but I pampered it.

Best bet is an extra set of rims with M/T DR's.

JMHO, Padre

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks ALOT everybody...so let me get this straight, i can basically run 275 nittos, but nittos run pretty small. If i wanted i could go up to a max 255? BFG on the stock 8 inch rim. For daily driving, and if i wanted to hook well on the street, what would be better, a 275 nitto or a 255 BFG? Thanks

·
Mindless Poo Flinger
2,711 Posts
my 275 19" nittos are the max that i could run, i had to grind the fenders too

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For daily driving, and if i wanted to hook well on the street, what would be better, a 275 nitto or a 255 BFG? Thanks

·
Omnicidal maniac
1,311 Posts
I can't imagine anyone saying Nittos are bad in the rain. Those are my DD tires. Mickey Thompsons, on the other hand, will damn near hydroplane if the driver in front of you spits out the window. However, a 2k clutch dump will boil the nittos, and a 4k clutch dump on Mickeys will bog on my car.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Drew,
Are you talking regular 555's or the 555R's which are the drag radials. I love my Nitto 555's but I don't drive in the rain. I got caught in a very heavy rainstorm once though and had no issues. Of course they aren't drag radials. I will be watching this thread though to see what size tires you fit on the stock rims. I want more rubber in the back.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts