LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about it and have been looking over at LS1Tech.com to figure out which one. I'm after a completely stock idle and street manners, aka stealth. I have heard the MTI Stealth II and really like how docile the idle is. I have also been thinking of the LPE GT2-3. Haven't heard that one but from reading, it also has a docile idle. My future PCM tuner really likes the Thunder 224/227 cam. So I'm not really sure which would be the best for me.
I'd like to keep the shifts no higher than 65-6600, preferably a little lower if possible. Car is an M6 with stock gearing. Mods will include Speed Inc CAI, Dynatech longtubes with cats and a custom tuned PCM. Still debating on leaving the stock cat back or getting a new one. I know the stock cat back will cost some power but I really want stockish qualities. The quietness of the TTA was refreshing after having a nice cammed LT1 WS6.
I'll admit to not really paying attention to the LS1 because I was into LT1's and LC2's, but I know the power potential was always there. We have lots of fast F-Bodies down here in EFA but not really an apples to apples comparison so to speak.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you're wanting anything near a stock idle, don't even consider the Thunder 224/227 cam ... It's not incredibly radical, but far from stock'ish... It WILL make good power though, and fit your other criteria. With as heavy as the GTO is, I would try to keep the area under the curve a bit lower in the RPM range -- concentrate more on building midrange torque.

·
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly, low to mid range. I guess I need to find out what cams convertable F-Body's are running as that would be a close weight comparison. I definitely don't want to move the power band up, extended is fine though.

·
The Anti Dyno Racer
473 Posts
Call [email protected], (908)317-4496. They have the quickest heads/cam C5s and several other records as well in the f-body world.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Many of our supporting vendors have years upon years of LS1 cam experience and hold many other "records" as well. The idle is a personal opinion, my 224 style cam is not too rough for me at all.

Thunder, MTI, Speed all have a wide variety of cams that will make good power. SLP and LPE have great conservative packages and parts.

Patriot, a new sponsor offers cams but I believe they are on the larger side...great value!

LG and Futral (non-sponsors) also have done alot of R&D with different cams.

The fastest cam only stock short block LS1 is held but a chicago guy, LG cam&Speed Inc tuned.

I think that after you listen to what everyone has to say you cam make a comprise and a decision

I'd go 224 style, sacrifice a tiny bit of idle quality. My car doesn’t die out and it just has a little 'rockin at the stop lights.

·
I used ta could
514 Posts
DevilYellow said:
Many of our supporting vendors have years upon years of LS1 cam experience and hold many other "records" as well.

I think that after you listen to what everyone has to say you cam make a comprise and a decision
Yes you cam!!

·
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If he can tune out the lope, then I'm all for a 224 cam. I just don't really want it anymore. Sounds great when at a cruise in and everybody loves it but dealing with it everyday, just gets old. That's why I'm thinking of the Stealth II or GT2-3.
Guess the old man cam from Thunder could be a consideration also.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Some of the guys over at LS1tech like the GT2-3 as a blower cam, too.

·
BIG G
278 Posts
Hey rob sent you a pm. I liked the comp 224/228 .578/.581 114 lsa. Idles good around 850rpm and keeps tq up also with the hp. This cam rocks and with good heads to let those lifts flow it really does good. Also when did dynatech come out with headers I have been waiting sent them a reply but no word on them you got the info let me know.

·
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BIG G said:
Hey rob sent you a pm. I liked the comp 224/228 .578/.581 114 lsa. Idles good around 850rpm and keeps tq up also with the hp. This cam rocks and with good heads to let those lifts flow it really does good. Also when did dynatech come out with headers I have been waiting sent them a reply but no word on them you got the info let me know.
Could have sworn I replied to your PM :eek2: The dynatech's are supposed to be out in a week or two. I ordered them last week from TByrne and they said two weeks.

·
BIG G
278 Posts
Thanks rob for the header tip. Yea I searched hard for my cam choice so I know how you feel. This is the soul of the car and if it is off then you will be dissapointed so do the research and take advice with a grain of salt. The smaller the came to make the most power is always better on driveability and living with it.Goodd luck.

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Rob,Buy the 224/227 so I can see what it does.I like the MTI 228/232 588/575 on a 113 for my next try if I go that route.Heads this winter and if I don't like the results then I will probably go with that larger cam with a traditional split.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts