LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Satellite Goat
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well when you live in Miami, the only move to make is up north.

I'm thinking the Ocala/Gainesville area, but recently started thinking twice about the move. Reason being I've heard several reports and lots of word of mouth that certain racist groups have been becoming active in that area. Being of latin decent like 75% of all south floridians, I don't like that news at all.

Those of you in the area please chime in and feel free to discuss.

-BUZZ

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
I'm not aware of any racist groups here in town. I can ask my brother who is a police officer in Ocala about it. I enjoy Ocala a lot!

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Ocala and racist? nada......thats all bs

come on up we need more local guys

·
Satellite Goat
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been up there a couple of times and never seen it too. But supposedly law enforcement has they're eye on the area, because their numbers are increasing. The way the person I talked to made it sound was that I was going to be able to get around it. I just don't want to go do my groceries and come across these a-holes, cause I don't have a tolerance for any of this.

I'm hoping to get up there in the next year or so. Just got to make sure the job situation is right. Is there much of a broadcasting field there? And what about schools, are they looking for teachers?

-BUZZ

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Buzz said:
I've been up there a couple of times and never seen it too. But supposedly law enforcement has they're eye on the area, because their numbers are increasing. The way the person I talked to made it sound was that I was going to be able to get around it. I just don't want to go do my groceries and come across these a-holes, cause I don't have a tolerance for any of this.

I'm hoping to get up there in the next year or so. Just got to make sure the job situation is right. Is there much of a broadcasting field there? And what about schools, are they looking for teachers?

-BUZZ
Good jobs are available, especially for teachers. I'm not sure abou the broadcasting field but can ask around.

·
Objects in mirror dont matter
3,777 Posts
The area around Ocala was on our short list of places to move. Nice small city, but big enough to not be without nice places to eat or only one golf course, supermarket, etc.
Big change from Miami or Tampa, but not a shocking change like Idaho or something would be!
Insurance situation is same across the state and relative tax increases for me because I am used to the 3% max increase on prop taxes keeping me at only 1500 a year. I would pay a lot more there with a new assesment on a similar price home. One big reason NC looks good to me.
Both taxes and insurance would be less than Miami I am sure.

Hispanics are everywhere in FL. Part of the flavor for us city folks. I saw or felt no evidence of racism while in Ocala. The ricer/hotrodder hangout had a mix crowd getting along fine, but was more black than Cuban/PR/Mexican like Miami or Tampa.
A few Neo-Nazi haters have settled in rural Pasco and Hernando county, far closer to Tampa then Ocala. The cops have rolled them up in Pasco pretty hard, and I read about some arrests in Hernando. A murder case got a lot of press, but West Central Fl, especially Tampa is way too Latin flavored to tolerate that crap. My area, NW of Tampa is 55% Hispanic, 30% white, and the rest black, indian,etc. No Nazi types gonna get a pass up here.

·
21,898 Posts
Swampgoat said:
The area around Ocala was on our short list of places to move. Nice small city, but big enough to not be without nice places to eat or only one golf course, supermarket, etc.
Big change from Miami or Tampa, but not a shocking change like Idaho or something would be!
Insurance situation is same across the state and relative tax increases for me because I am used to the 3% max increase on prop taxes keeping me at only 1500 a year. I would pay a lot more there with a new assesment on a similar price home. One big reason NC looks good to me.

Hispanics are everywhere in FL. Part of the flavor for us city folks. I saw or felt no evidence of racism while in Ocala. The ricer/hotrodder hangout had a mix crowd getting along fine, but was more black than Cuban/PR/Mexican like Miami or Tampa.
A few Neo-Nazi haters have settled in rural Pasco and Hernando county, far closer to Tampa then Ocala. The cops have rolled them up in Pasco pretty hard, and I read about some arrests in Hernando. A murder case got a lot of press, but West Central Fl, especially Tampa is way too Latin flavored to tolerate that crap. My area, NW of Tampa is 55% Hispanic, 30% white, and the rest black, indian,etc. No Nazi types gonna get a pass up here.
Yeah I have lived here 11yrs now and I dont know where anyone comes up with the racist thing here. Its a fair mix. In fact there is fairly large hispanic pop here due to the horse farms.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I was thinking about Glades or Hendry counties. I would like to get out far and away from the city life!

Other than FL , i am pretty much stuck, i can't take cold dark cloudy winters like we have up north.

Chas

·
21,898 Posts
chasp said:
I was thinking about Glades or Hendry counties. I would like to get out far and away from the city life!

Other than FL , i am pretty much stuck, i can't take cold dark cloudy winters like we have up north.

Chas
holy crap have you been to glades county......bwahaha. too deserted for me

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
holy crap have you been to glades county......bwahaha. too deserted for me
Wow, never even heard of that county - must be small!

·
Satellite Goat
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Swampgoat said:
...pay a lot more there with a new assesment on a similar price home. One big reason NC looks good to me.
Becareful with NC. I had a job offer up there and turned it down after I found out about the 7-8% state tax. But like most, I'm getting tired of Miami, the lifestyle and the prices. I live in a town house worth almost 300K, and I want to move into a single family home but can barely afford it because of the price hikes.

I've got my eye on an acre of land in Morriston, which isn't too far from Ocala. And I figure it'll be cheap to put a decent sized house on there. The only problem is finding a job in my industry, otherwise I'm gonna have to start at the bottom again.

And as for the racism trust me it's there. I promised my source not to say where I got the info from, because it could get them in trouble. But the way they said what was happening made me a bit scared of moving up there. I just had to see if it was in your face or hiding in the shadows.

-BUZZ

·
21,898 Posts
Doc GTO said:
Wow, never even heard of that county - must be small!
uhh like 3 people live there, you could drag race on any street anytime.

I think they have one motel in town, 1 fast food joint.

its hilarious

·
21,898 Posts
Buzz said:
And as for the racism trust me it's there. I promised my source not to say where I got the info from, because it could get them in trouble. But the way they said what was happening made me a bit scared of moving up there. I just had to see if it was in your face or hiding in the shadows.

-BUZZ
ahh I think someone is blowing stuff out of proportion honestly. Now I would not go and live out in the forest up here but the city area is fine. Like I said 11yrs here and there is quite a mix of people

·
Registered
222 Posts
Glades county and Hendry is nothing but sugarcane, bugs and swamps!

But i'm sure it will build up down that way also in the next few years.

Chas

·
Non Denominational Car Nut
2,347 Posts
Buzz said:
Becareful with NC. I had a job offer up there and turned it down after I found out about the 7-8% state tax. But like most, I'm getting tired of Miami, the lifestyle and the prices.

-BUZZ
Unless they were paying you alot less you missed a great deal.
Here is what a freind of mine and member here (USDMGTO) wrote about it.
He sold his house in palm beach which he paid $200k for 4 years ago for $350k and got a job that pays a bit better but with his living expenses cut in half makes a ton more money.
My wife and I moved to Wendell on the ast side of Raleigh. A brand new 3/2/2 on 0.8 acres is $170k. Taxes are $1100 ($5000 in Florida), property insurance is $415 ($2000 in Fl), car insurance is $800 ($2200 in Fl), I drive 35 minutes to Durham every morning and work in RTP. Salaries for engineers / technical people are 15%-20% higher here than in south Florida. People are friendly, drivers are polite, but all the pizza and seafood resturaunts suck.

I'm planning on buying an empty lot in eastern Raleigh, Knightdale, Wendell, Zebulon, areas. They run about $35k-$50k for about four acres. You can still buy property with ocean access from Pamilco Sound for less than $80k, try that in Florida. LOL.

·
Satellite Goat
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HTRDLNCN said:
Unless they were paying you alot less you missed a great deal.
Here is what a freind of mine and member here (USDMGTO) wrote about it.
He sold his house in palm beach which he paid $200k for 4 years ago for $350k and got a job that pays a bit better but with his living expenses cut in half makes a ton more money.

As a matter of fact is was going to be about the same I make now, but with 50% travel. Housing is cheaper, but because I was going to be near a large city (Charlotte), the savings weren't that big (I could get the same price in rural FL).

Either way it's time for a change and I still love FL.

-BUZZ

·
Unreconstructed
272 Posts
There is racism in any small town anywhere in the country. I don't care if you move to Idaho, North Carolina, or upstate New York. One thing is for certain though, if you're concerned about an anti-hispanic bias you're going to find both the best and worst of it in rural Florida. The best because most of the population is used to it to some degree or another, and the worst because those that have come in contact with it and not liked it are going to have a much stronger (and possibly more vocal) opinion.

If you're worried about coming out and finding a burning cross on your lawn or racist words keyed into the paint of your GTO, it's not going to happen. You may run into people that don't want to associate with you, or people that talk about you behind your back, but you're going to get that anywhere outside of Miami.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts