LS1GTO Forums banner
101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Awesome car and great thread.

May I suggest a custom dash mat that fits those pods. Esp if your seeing cracks in the back of the pods etc. It'll help with glare and you can get a material that matches the door felt.

Great thread and keep it up. Encourages me to get the small things done that I need to do to my GTO.

·
Chickun maka lousy houspet
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Awesome car and great thread.

May I suggest a custom dash mat that fits those pods. Esp if your seeing cracks in the back of the pods etc. It'll help with glare and you can get a material that matches the door felt.

Great thread and keep it up. Encourages me to get the small things done that I need to do to my GTO.
Thank you.

Quite frankly, I don't feel like spending the $$$ (right now) to have a dash mat made. Once this car is actually running, I still have a ton of visual mods to finish (inside, but mostly out). I honestly don't think the car will be "done" for at least another 2 years.

I mean, there is stuff I have that I haven't even started working on...like a flat bottomed G8 steering wheel w/ the upper portion made from a banksia pod (sorta like how some people have carbon fiber or wood). I also want to make a matching shift lever handle and e-brake handle too. I chose banksia pods, because they are native to Australia. This is what a stabilized banksia pod blank looks like. This one was stabilized and filled with a blue/silver resin:

Brown Rectangle Wood Wall Font

They have a specific look, which is pretty cool. I'd have to find one which is curved for the steering wheel, but I don't think that would be an issue. If it can be stabilized using a black or dark charcoal and let to set (without the holes being filled), I could come back and dip the pod in orange, silver and dark charcoal resins to accent those round holes...but this is a future project.

Reactions: FreemanGTO

·
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
It only took me a whopping 35 hours (not saying how many years ago I started it) to complete this project. I did start out with only 2 gauge pods and it has gone through a couple of changes. But it's finally done! I will be making a slight modification to it, but that's neither here not there.

I'll begin with how it started back in 201X when it was still a 'normal' looking part. I happened across this because one of the tabs was cracked. In the pic, you can see the magic marker, PVC tubing and the Stewart Warner gauge (from my '99 GP GTP).

Eye glass accessory Eyewear Bumper Communication Device Automotive exterior

After some cutting, I used a bunch of tape to get the positioning just right. Once it was, I used a few dabs of JB Weld to secure it into place. I didn't want to use too much, as I might have had to move it slightly.

Speedometer Automotive tire Gauge Watch Automotive lighting

This was after the very first coating of fiberglass. I didn't even trim anything back before I stuck a gauge in it to see what it looked like.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Handle Wood Gas

Automotive lighting Insect Eyewear Wood Rim

...this is right after cutting off the excess fiberglass and smoothing it down a little, but before the real sanding.

NOTE: . . at this point, I bonded the top center part to the pods, to make this one solid part. Eventually, I'd come back and cut the top part off in order to expose the screw holes.

Hood Grille Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle

...after the initial sanding (my car in he background, when it was still stock).

Tire Wheel Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Then I managed to get into an accident (totalling my car), followed a year later by 2 engine problems. The first problem was (temporarily) "solved", and this is when I did some mild head work, cammed the car and installed shorty headers. Within 4K miles, I discovered the initial problem caused internal engine damage. I sold that motor and rebuilt an "ALMOST NEW" crate engine, that was in the donor car I acquired...then I went a wee bit CRaY-crAy with the build.

I needed some extra gauges and was going to go with this as a design for the gauge pod:

Automotive lighting Light Speedometer Motor vehicle Vehicle

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Trunk

Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle door Glass Headlamp

Then I stood back and saw the err of my ways. This was not only ridiculous looking, but the one pod stuck WAY out and was really hard to get to line up correctly. I ended up with a single gauge pod on the A-Pillar for the 4th gauge (for the record, I have a 5th gauge...which reads "Fuel Pressure" but is actually a N2O gauge). I was going to add a Nitrous Tank in the back seat, but then Illinois got kind of funny on their laws. I opted to scrap the Nitrous Kit, which I sold. It might have been kind of cool looking, having a tank in the back seat, but it probably wasn't worth the headache.

·
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 · (Edited)
(I'm only allowed 10 pictures ☝☝☝)

The easy part was getting it to stay together. Once that's done, getting it shaped right and removing all the imperfections is the most time consuming part. I sanded this thing for EVER. No joke, the complete project took 35 hours to complete (and then I still had to install the cup holders and duct work to the part. This has been in and out of the car hundreds of times...

Automotive tire Wood Gas Plumbing Tree

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Wood

Hood Wood Flooring Fender Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Wood Automotive wheel system

Drinkware Fluid Liquid Ingredient Water

Then, with all the family problems going on before my father finally passed in October, the part sat in this state for over a year. I want to say, there is around 25 hours invested up to the pictures in this post. Again, the vast majority of the time at this point and beyond was sanding it down to reveal any and all the flaws in the finish. At the end, I used filler primer and a contrasting flash coat of paint to reveal the layers...so you don't sand through the primer.

Here is the center console after 32 hours of work:

Speedometer Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Steering part

Vehicle Car Gauge Steering wheel Automotive design

....and then I painted it. Finally, the (seemingly) last step in making the part. I wound up making this video for my girlfriend when I first got it installed at the beginning of the weekend. I don't care what anyone says, I am so proud of this part...and 90% of the people who see this piece wont even know how custom it really is.

HERE's the VIDEO of the piece with an explanation of the cupholders:

Reactions: Rob

·
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
that looks cool.

excuse me for tldr'ing, but i am wondering how you will get to the upper screws covered by the pods?
Only one is inaccessible (driver side front). The drivers side top under the gauge pod can be accessed through the pod. You can see this in one of the pictures above

·
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Sorry...no pictures. I spent most of this and last weekend either looking for misplaced parts, or organizing the mess in the garage / basement. I did remove the rear bumper and de-rustify a few spots on there.

Hopefully, the diff will be shipped out soon, so I can post SOMETHING up. Otherwise, it looks like I'm just twiddling my thumbs.

101 - 107 of 107 Posts