My order from summitracinng.com came in last week. I needed a couple 90 degree -6 and -8 AN fittings w/ adapters to jointg them together. I needed to see if they were aproximately the same height (which they were). The larger -8AN (in black - using Vibrant Performance) is for the outgoing fuel line and the return is a smaller -6AN (in stainless - using Summit Racing Products). When buying PTFE lines, you need to make sure the fittings are compatable with the lines. Otherwise they may NOT work or fit properly!
Different manufactirers use different spec's for their lines and fittings...so it is essential to make sure, what you're buying works.
Because of Mother's Day, I wasn't able to spend all weekend on the car. Plus, the day I was working on the GTO was perfect for doing fiberglass work. It was around 60 degrees outside w/ a slight wind to my back. All that fiberglass dust went down wind!!! My DuSPEED needed a bunch of sanding and a reglassing, after blowing through in a few spots where it was warped.
I realized I need to buy a file sander to get inside the air cleaner part a little bit. OH NO!!! I need to buy ANOTHER TOOL!
However, I didn't take any pictures of the modded DuSPEED. Instead, I have a few pictures of the fuel tank.
My dilemma here was, I couldn't get the lines to stay in place, while placing the tank into the bottom cover -AND- secure the fuel lines to the fuel pump. I tried in vein to get this accomplished, but it fought me tooth and nail. My bright idea was to zip tie the lines down along side that bump (holds the tank above the exiting fuel line. I managed to get it somewhat together. Then I pulled the zip tie together more and foundd the fittings were twisted/ not exiting the hole straight.
This got worse every time I went to put the fittings onto the pump. I removed the tank fromthe cover and then the PTFE lines shifted over that hump. Now, I had two holes in the cover -AND- the lines were not staying put. My next bright idea was to run a zip tie through the small hole I made, wrap it around the line and exit through the same hole. That held them down securely, this didn't shift much at all and I was able to take the tank out several times. The lines no longer shitfed at ALL.
Plus, if I need to remove the fuel tank for whatever reason, I can disconnect them from underneath and take the fuel tank out in one unit (sort of like how you would if nothing had been modified). Except now, I'm able to detanch the lines with a couple wrenches and not a push together fitting, where you have to wrestle with it for a few hours.
On the second attempt at getting the tank back into place, the fuel lines all lined up pretty good. This is how it looked under the car on that attempt at trying to get the lines to go together:
The rubber hose coming out of the fuel line exit is for the evap system. I still have to figure that part out, but the hard part is over. I think I'm going to make something to hold these fittings in place, so they don't rub on anything or wear the fittings on one side or another. I have some gasoline rated rubber hoses I might spiral cut and put over these where they exit through the bottom of the tank cover to help prevent wear from vibration and rubbing.
Lastly (at least for this update), I actually sat down the the car and was sitting there lookng out the windsheild. I was admiing some of my work, when I realized I no longer cared for the placement of my boost gauge. I lve the way it looked from outside of the car, but in the drivers seat, it was not 100% right.
Then after talking to a tuner, he said he would prefer to have a wideband installed on the A-pillar or on the dash cluster surround. I wasn't too crazy about repainting the cluster or much else in the interior AGAIN. As I sat there, I' decided to cut the gauge pod off. This was before I removed the A-Pillar pod (again).
I'm going t look into seeing where I can mount the wideband. You may see a few pictures of me using PVC rings and tape, and figuring out where I'm going to place the gauges. I'm going to have to order the Mavman LC2 wideband (to the tune of only $369) within the next month, so I can have it ready for when I attempt at getting the A-Pillar pods completed.
I think this will also balance out the gauges a little better from side to side. It's probably going to look like a fighter jet when I get it done. I'm also goig to hear about it from my buddies. They already think I have too many gauges as it is. Whatever!!! I'm sure Mavman wont have ANYTHING bad to say about me!
Thanks for reading and I'll be posting up more soon!