LS1GTO Forums banner

This makes me not want to go. (DIT)

4K views 61 replies 29 participants last post by  HTRDLNCN 
#1 ·
I honestly could not figure out a good title for this thread. I recieved my GTOAA membership info in the mail today. You open up your envelope, and you get this header, on the first sheet:

I think that the GTOAA needs to wake up and realize that there are 2004 and 2005 Pontiac GTO owners now. Last I read, there are going to be 30 or so of us there with our cars, right? I had to pay dues to this club in order to attend their event with my GTO! I couldn't pay dues to their club and bring my elCamino, I had to have a GTO. Hello! I have one!!!! And it is not a 1964-1974 GTO, mine is a 2004! Decade of performance my ass. Stock for stock, I will challenge any 1964-1974 GTO and kick their ass. STOCK.

This site is about the only reason that the GTOAA is welcoming the 04's and '05's, and I understand that. I love the classic GTO's, but I was forced to buy a membership to their club so I could attend. And when my welcome to the club letter says in the fist paragraph "These special vehicles built between the years of 1964 and 1974 have developed a large and enthusiastic following since the end of their production run." I feel like they only want me to come because this site is a sponsor. I am a GTO owner, and as far as I know, the production started back up and it is not at an end.

Dont feed me any beer before the car show voting on Saturday. Any old school "hater" is going to get more than this rant if that happens. And sorry for the rant, but this rubbs me the absolute wrong way.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I totally agree with you. Hell, the only reason I'm going is to hang out with you guys. That is a smack across the face isn't it.....

#4 ·
:slap: :slap: :slap:

#5 ·
Ozzie Goat said:
How do you really feel, Warren??
You couldn't tell? :slap:

LOL. I agree with HRJ, this is an opportunity to meet other members from the site and admire our cars.

I am not saying that every classic GTO owner hates our cars, but the feeling I get from the club is "you are accepted to come because you paid 30 bucks to keep our club alive"

#6 ·
GO get em tiger (no pun intended!)

First round for you is on me. :D

#7 ·
I all seriousness though, I bet that packet and logo was something they've used for awhile now and simply haven't updated. No harm, no foul. We'll just need to show them who's boss! :D

#8 ·
I've gotten a mixed bag with them. I asked them about starting up a club in Iowa and they responded, we went back and forth and as soon as I mentioned I had an 04 the emails stopped. I can only gather they are interested in a club with an 04 owner as a founding member.

But on the other hand they were very excited about the Ames Meet and were very helpful.

#10 ·
AmesGTO said:
But on the other hand they were very excited about the Ames Meet and were very helpful.
Yeah, they were excited about the Ames meet, until the 80% chance of rain forecast and we only had 2 classics show up. And that 80% chance was for the day of the meet and there was 0% rain. I was sunburned.

#11 ·
We will NEVER get treated fairly by them. No matter what we do or how many numbers we show up in. To them, we are a red headed stepchild! They're too wound up in waxing nostalgia and reminiscing about when they were young, stupid and impetuous and owned GTO's. They fail to realize 30 - 40 years have passed and the world has changed, especially the automotive landscape.

Anyway, If this goes the same way as the Cruising Tigers club here, I'm all about Ames or another all modern day GTO group and we can discriminate against THEM!

#12 ·
CMNTMXR57 said:
We will NEVER get treated fairly by them. No matter what we do or how many numbers we show up in. To them, we are a red headed stepchild! They're too wound up in waxing nostalgia and reminiscing about when they were young, stupid and impetuous and owned GTO's. They fail to realize 30 - 40 years have passed and the world has changed, especially the automotive landscape.

Anyway, If this goes the same way as the Cruising Tigers club here, I'm all about Ames or another all modern day GTO group and we can discriminate against THEM!
I know, but that red headed stepchild eventually tells someone that she is getting beat.

#14 · (Edited)
I have found the local classic Pontiac folks to be quite accepting. Have you checked out the Dodge Charger bunch?? They are viscious against the new Charger!!
http://www.dodge-charger.com/

#15 ·
They're the same way the GTO people were to us before our cars even hit the street. Once the car was out, they mellowed some.

Some in fact are accepting of it, but they're in the minority.

#17 ·
ANY 04 OR 05 OWNER who does not feel welcome is more than happy to drive two miles east on Page Ave from the hotel and hang out in our lot at Lou Fusz Pontiac. I'll be there with my 04 quicksilver as I have to work during the show (but I'll be at the drags on thursday!) Hell why don't you guys get together and cruise on down here either way from the hotel. Would be cool as hell to get a photo of all of the 04-05s at a Pontiac dealership. Also theres an ice cream place just a mile further that you guys could cruise to.

See you guys there!

#19 ·
Warren said:
You couldn't tell? :slap:

LOL. I agree with HRJ, this is an opportunity to meet other members from the site and admire our cars.

I am not saying that every classic GTO owner hates our cars, but the feeling I get from the club is "you are accepted to come because you paid 30 bucks to keep our club alive"
Its the main reason I am going. And to win some raffle prizes :cool:

#20 ·
Try not to get your panties in a bunch Warren. You're reading too much into it, and CMNT is more than likely correct. It's just letterhead they've had lying around for years and they didn't think to update it. Just go and have fun. I wish I could, but it ain't happening. I hang out on Performance Years with most of the old Pontiac junkies, and yes there are some true haters over there. But the haters aren't necessarily the status quo. Quite a few vintage Pontiac nuts are starting to jump on the new GTO bandwagon with their own '04s and '05s, and there are probably more that just won't admit it in front of the rest of the good old boys. Think of it this way. They let you into the club, it was only 30 bucks which could have been pissed away with a few beers...have a good time, meet some new people and hand them their asses on the track.

#21 ·
Jeff R said:
Try not to get your panties in a bunch Warren. You're reading too much into it, and CMNT is more than likely correct.
You guys are probably right. Im a little calmer now that I have had some sleep. I was accepted into the Wichita GTO club with open arms, and only had a few negative comments about my car.

I still plan on attending, and I also plan on haveing a LOT of fun. And I prefer wheat beer Holeshot, but Bud/Budlight or reg Coors works for me. :drink: :thumbs:

#22 ·
I get home last night, and the first thing I hear from the wife.....

"We recieved the GTOAA membership application. Guess what? It doesn't say shit on the paper about 04 and 05 GTO's! What kind of horseshit is that! We're a member of a car club that doesn't recognized our car's existence!"

I got online and showed her Warren's post and said, "You're not alone....."

:gr_jest:

#23 ·
Susie said I got the same yesterday.

Should we all give them a collective "FOOK YOU!"?

#26 ·
69CamaroSS said:
ANY 04 OR 05 OWNER who does not feel welcome is more than happy to drive two miles east on Page Ave from the hotel and hang out in our lot at Lou Fusz Pontiac. I'll be there with my 04 quicksilver as I have to work during the show (but I'll be at the drags on thursday!) Hell why don't you guys get together and cruise on down here either way from the hotel. Would be cool as hell to get a photo of all of the 04-05s at a Pontiac dealership. Also theres an ice cream place just a mile further that you guys could cruise to.

See you guys there!
Man that sounds like fun!! Might have to do that!!! I am just going down to get out of Springfield!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.