LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one day driving home after work I dozed off and my alarm went off of me going up and over a median 馃檭. I was able to get it off the road but it was weak 馃槥. Once I got it into a parking lot I immediately turned it off to see the damages. All I could see was the skid guard gone and a massive hole in the oil pan. I get it towed home the next day and jacked it up and to my surprise all I see is the oil pan damaged. But when I started it for about 5 seconds it shakes something fierce but nothing shows up on the dash (?) the engine mounts weren鈥檛 torn, transmission case was still intact with no leaks, suspension is fine and doesn鈥檛 sag or bounce excessively anywhere. But as far as i know the oil pan needs to be replaced (getting it done next week), loss of power, and extreme shakes. I鈥檒l be posting pictures on next comment. Any ideas?

Worthless reject member
why are you running your engine with a big chunk missing out of the oil pan?

there is likely damage you don't see yet.

i would file a claim with your insurance co. it's a collision. with the damage to the engine, suspension, and unibody, it's likely totalled.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
why are you running your engine with a big chunk missing out of the oil pan?

there is likely damage you don't see yet.

i would file a claim with your insurance co. it's a collision. with the damage to the engine, suspension, and unibody, it's likely totalled.
I only did it just to ensure it will still turn over. And I figured it be totaled so to save time I鈥檇 rather fix it myself

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it would be interesting to see what your strut towers and the strut mounts look like.
I can post better pictures of them tomorrow. I do know when I went back to get it towed I looked at the median I hit and it isn鈥檛 square median. It鈥檚 the one that curves for turns and I assume I hit the point of it. It鈥檚 going to the shop for the oil pan replacement next week so if he sees anything else I鈥檒l post it here

Registered
Replacing the oil pan cost me nearly 2k on my 06 a couple years back. They wanted to pull the motor out just to get to it. Fortunately I was able to get the shop to simply support the motor from the top and drop the sub frame to get to the oil pan.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Replacing the oil pan cost me nearly 2k on my 06 a couple years back. They wanted to pull the motor out just to get to it. Fortunately I was able to get the shop to simply support the motor from the top and drop the sub frame to get to the oil pan.
Yes I鈥檝e been blessed. The mechanic at my job goes to this one guys shop and he ONLY works on LS motors. He is going to do it for 600 with a 2 day turn around time. He may be my go to guy from here for my car

Seriously?
Makes me cry seeing pics of and hearing about GTO accidents. Hoping this is an easy fix but something is telling me there might be more that you aren't seeing yet. Imagine if you didn't have a skid plate on it...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Makes me cry seeing pics of and hearing about GTO accidents. Hoping this is an easy fix but something is telling me there might be more that you aren't seeing yet. Imagine if you didn't have a skid plate on it...
That鈥檚 very true. I don鈥檛 think I would have a lot of anything left under the front end of the car 馃槄. But no matter what it WILL be fixed up no matter what.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What sucks most is I dropped around 3k already to fix the whole the front end. I bought a front end and found a guy to replace it for me then all the other parts too many to list to get it on the road for me to make stupid mistake of driving sleepy. Lesson learned though

Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
Sad to see. Hope nothing happened internally when they drop the pan they can see. Looks like a hige chunk was taken out must have hit a damn boulder.

How many curse words did you use?

GR-RRR!
Well, let's review. You hit a curb that tore off the skid plate and broke the oil pan wide open. Then you drove it to a parking lot somewhere. Then later you started it to see if it would turn over. That engine has internal damage due to oil starvation along with whatever else may have been damaged in the chassis. Throwing an oil pan on it will not be the entire solution to your problems and is likely only the tip of the iceberg.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sad to see. Hope nothing happened internally when they drop the pan they can see. Looks like a hige chunk was taken out must have hit a damn boulder.

How many curse words did you use?
Just about every single one on the book 馃槄

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well, let's review. You hit a curb that tore off the skid plate and broke the oil pan wide open. Then you drove it to a parking lot somewhere. Then later you started it to see if it would turn over. That engine has internal damage due to oil starvation along with whatever else may have been damaged in the chassis. Throwing an oil pan on it will not be the entire solution to your problems and is likely only the tip of the iceberg.
That鈥檚 to say I鈥檝e run it long enough to cause internal damage. I turned the car on then back off. I didn鈥檛 let it idle considering I know there is no oil in it. And with the temps being below freezing I鈥檓 sure it didn鈥檛 hurt. The parking lot is where the rest of the oil ended up spilling out so there was actually still oil at the time going through. But I had already turned it off by that time. But we won鈥檛 know for sure until it鈥檚 taken to the mechanic next week in which I will be posting updates 馃檪

GR-RRR!
That鈥檚 to say I鈥檝e run it long enough to cause internal damage. I turned the car on then back off. I didn鈥檛 let it idle considering I know there is no oil in it. And with the temps being below freezing I鈥檓 sure it didn鈥檛 hurt. The parking lot is where the rest of the oil ended up spilling out so there was actually still oil at the time going through. But I had already turned it off by that time. But we won鈥檛 know for sure until it鈥檚 taken to the mechanic next week in which I will be posting updates 馃檪
I don't think the restart was your biggest problem, the trip to the parking lot was where it was damaged. Hot or cold isn't the issue, the lack of oil is. Without oil it doesn't take long to destroy bearings, rings, cams, lifters and cylinder walls. But the restart kind of shows it was damaged, you said:

But when I started it for about 5 seconds it shakes something fierce
I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, but please be prepared to learn that serious internal engine damage was done.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts