LS1GTO Forums banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
7,332 Posts
I am an optimist though. Even in the dark I’ll find a way.
You are a better man than I! Ever since I put a blower on my car I am constantly worried I'm putting too much strain on things and will eventually damage the engine. Is that a lifter tick? Will the rings hold up? How can I keep this thing from getting too hot? Should I upgrade the oil pump? And on and on. At least until I hear the blower whine and feel that kick in the back, then I forget about that stuff for a while. :D

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
956 Posts
You are a better man than I! Ever since I put a blower on my car I am constantly worried I'm putting too much strain on things and will eventually damage the engine. Is that a lifter tick? Will the rings hold up? How can I keep this thing from getting too hot? Should I upgrade the oil pump? And on and on. At least until I hear the blower whine and feel that kick in the back, then I forget about that stuff for a while. :D
you don’t daily that car right? You should be fine. I wouldn’t sweat it at all.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I can help you get rid of the evil parts that are causing you to worry!

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
98 Posts
I think what most people are saying is have this mechanic you know take a few extra hours and check crank runout and check individual rods for loose movement and such. Especially if money isn’t of issue, having him do that for an extra $2-300 bones might be worth it. Right where that chunk of aluminum is where your pick up tube runs and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s pinched or damaged also. Be sure to have him check that and make sure it didn’t get knocked out of the oil pump or you’ll have no oil pressure when you go to fire it up.

As far as the shaking, I’d be willing to bet that the motor mounts are jacked up. These cars have a bad problem with motor mounts from the factory. Even an OEM replacement would be better than what you have now. The mounts being ruined would cause the entire motor to rock during an initial start up and you would see a lot of movement when revving or just so much as driving it.

It wouldn’t be a bad idea to Jack the car up in the air and just spin the wheels. Check for obvious signs of damage. These cars are pretty symmetrical with the parts. Meaning the driver side is going to be relatively close in shape as passenger side suspension parts. So if you notice a huge ding, something loose when prying on it, etc vs the side not affected by the crash, you’ll know you have an issue. Or, if you prefer mechanics to work on your car, be sure you do your research and find someone that isn’t going to cut corners and rail you in the keester for a large bill.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I think what most people are saying is have this mechanic you know take a few extra hours and check crank runout and check individual rods for loose movement and such. Especially if money isn’t of issue, having him do that for an extra $2-300 bones might be worth it. Right where that chunk of aluminum is where your pick up tube runs and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s pinched or damaged also. Be sure to have him check that and make sure it didn’t get knocked out of the oil pump or you’ll have no oil pressure when you go to fire it up.

As far as the shaking, I’d be willing to bet that the motor mounts are jacked up. These cars have a bad problem with motor mounts from the factory. Even an OEM replacement would be better than what you have now. The mounts being ruined would cause the entire motor to rock during an initial start up and you would see a lot of movement when revving or just so much as driving it.

It wouldn’t be a bad idea to Jack the car up in the air and just spin the wheels. Check for obvious signs of damage. These cars are pretty symmetrical with the parts. Meaning the driver side is going to be relatively close in shape as passenger side suspension parts. So if you notice a huge ding, something loose when prying on it, etc vs the side not affected by the crash, you’ll know you have an issue. Or, if you prefer mechanics to work on your car, be sure you do your research and find someone that isn’t going to cut corners and rail you in the keester for a large bill.
that’s definitely something I can have him do to be safe. And for reference to everyone else this shows what I hit and where I parked it
World Urban design Font Map Design

·
GR-RRR!
7,332 Posts
This is a really good point. Considering that the engine took a direct hit from the curb it would not be hard to imagine that the engine mounts could have been damaged. Might want to also look at the transmission mount.

you don’t daily that car right? You should be fine. I wouldn’t sweat it at all.
No, definitely not a daily.

·
Chickun maka lousy houspet
543 Posts
Oh MAN! Sorry to hear / read about this, but it sounds like you are EXTREMELY LUCKY this was all that happened.

I didn't take the time to read everyone else's post, but I really hope you didn't starve the engine of oil. It might be a good idea to pull the motor and go through it all, to make sure NOTHING is fookered too badly. Even on good day's 👉 WITH OIL 👈 an LS can throw bearings out faster than a $2 hooker can turn "jobs" at a comic book convention.

Since you're going to have to pull the motor out to get the oil pan back on anyway; I'd have your guy go over it and replace the bearings / check the crank. A few minutes to look it over and some extra $$$ now, will save you a BUNCH of time and worry later.

If the skid plate underneath was gone, I'd invest in one of those right away. Day's Parts / Salvage probably has them. If not, BMR makes replacements:

I'd also see about getting a performance / higher capacity oil pump too, but that's just me.
Glad to ALSO read that you were O.K.!!!...

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,435 Posts
Since you're going to have to pull the motor out to get the oil pan back on anyway;
Well, if we're talking about things to do while the oil pan is off...

• Wow
Reactions: Doc-Z

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just throw some duct tape over the hole fill it up with oil and listen

seriously its already screwed up, its not going to hurt it.

·
Chickun maka lousy houspet
543 Posts
Well, if we're talking about things to do while the oil pan is off...
WTF?!? UGH>...I need this, but am NOT pulling the motor again just to install it!!!

Reactions: bo06gto

·
Registered
1 Posts
So one day driving home after work I dozed off and my alarm went off of me going up and over a median 🙃. I was able to get it off the road but it was weak 😞. Once I got it into a parking lot I immediately turned it off to see the damages. All I could see was the skid guard gone and a massive hole in the oil pan. I get it towed home the next day and jacked it up and to my surprise all I see is the oil pan damaged. But when I started it for about 5 seconds it shakes something fierce but nothing shows up on the dash (?) the engine mounts weren’t torn, transmission case was still intact with no leaks, suspension is fine and doesn’t sag or bounce excessively anywhere. But as far as i know the oil pan needs to be replaced (getting it done next week), loss of power, and extreme shakes. I’ll be posting pictures on next comment. Any ideas?
I would guess u knocked your crankshaft out of Balance and everytime you running it BAD SHAKES ,it's doing some kind of damages to lower end. And Dude , I'm sorry man ..it suck
I don't think the restart was your biggest problem, the trip to the parking lot was where it was damaged. Hot or cold isn't the issue, the lack of oil is. Without oil it doesn't take long to destroy bearings, rings, cams, lifters and cylinder walls. But the restart kind of shows it was damaged, you said:

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, but please be prepared to learn that serious internal engine damage was done.
EXACTLY.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Rectangle Gas Automotive exterior Plastic Electric blue
Came in as of last night. Wednesday it’s off to the shop. I’ll keep y’all posted from there

41 - 56 of 56 Posts