·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I slid and clipped the adjustment device on top of the intake. Now
the cable seems slack. The butterfly opens more, but the steel stop is
about 3/8 inch shy of contacting the metal of the throttle body. Can slack
be taken up in the round box under the strut tower brace? My BMR brace
sits close to it, so I'm gonna have to remove it to look inside.
Also, I noticed that there is another one of those 'plastic adjusting cylinders'
on the cable out of the rectangular black box behind the battery. Is that
for cruise control?
Does Helms have any picture info on linkage adjustment?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
38 views...any idea?

·
Still plays with cars...
521 Posts
paco04 said:
Okay, I slid and clipped the adjustment device on top of the intake. Now
the cable seems slack. The butterfly opens more, but the steel stop is
about 3/8 inch shy of contacting the metal of the throttle body. Can slack
be taken up in the round box under the strut tower brace? My BMR brace
sits close to it, so I'm gonna have to remove it to look inside.
Also, I noticed that there is another one of those 'plastic adjusting cylinders'
on the cable out of the rectangular black box behind the battery. Is that
for cruise control?
Does Helms have any picture info on linkage adjustment?

Thanks guys
Helms isn't very helpful. The only procedures I could find relate to replacement of the throttle relaxer assembly - no adjustment procedure for the throttle cable itself is provided. I think the round box you're referring to is the throttle relaxer - there's an adjustment procedure for that, but I don't know that it will apply in your case. Just in case in does, though, here's the throttle relaxer assembly adjustment procedure verbatim from the manual:

Important: The throttle body, accelerator pedal, and cruise control cables must be fully installed before making adjustments.
1. Unlock the throttle cable adjuster (it's on the bracket just in front of the throttle cam on the throttle body)
2. Pull the throttle cable assembly until the throttle cam begins to move from the rest position
3. Move the throttle cable assembly back towards the throttle cam until the cam is back at the rest position
4. While holding the throttle cable at cam rest position, lock the throttle cable adjuster
5. Using a scan tool, check the throttle angle. When the accelerator is fully depressed the throttle angle should read 100 per cent. When the accelerator is released the throttle angle should read 0 per cent. If proper results are not obtained, check cables for kinks or damage and repeat the procedure.
Hope this helps - I'll keep looking at all the Helms procedures, if I can find anything else, will let you know.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

·
IBM GTO owner
60 Posts
i've been fighting throttle opening issues from day one. My car wouldn't go past 88% i have now adjusted the cable and have gotten it to WOT, however i had to sacrifice idle a bit. As now the car idles at about 800rpm's, and when it first starts jumps to 1500 and comes back down. I have found that the stop inside the traction control actuator is hitting prematurely. I'm in the midst of getting a fbody one to try on my car to see if this will rectify the situation. I took the car in for service for this and got a response of no problem found. Whatever, i'll fix it myself then. Worse case senaro i will take the unit off the car and grind the stop down if i have to. I'm also looking into the holden aspect of it to see if they have a nontraction control throttle cable i can retrofit to the car, i don't drive that car in the rain or snow anyway so i don't really need it.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I've got mine adjusted now. The adjustment piece on the manifold was not
clipped from the factory. Now I've taken all of the slack out, and the throttle opens
all the way to the stop. Funny how my previous dyno sessions were done at not
fully open throttle. :sneaky:
She idles fine now, and I'll wait till tomorrow to road test, since I'm into the grape
juice pretty good. :-off the

·
IBM GTO owner
60 Posts
mine had to be moved alot to get it to go wot. It kinda sucks but i know the culprit and am working on a fix.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good luck, and thanks for y'alls help.

·
Registered
62 Posts
FlyinGTP said:
mine had to be moved alot to get it to go wot. It kinda sucks but i know the culprit and am working on a fix.
how many of the gto's have this problem? just a few or is it a problem with them all?

·
GM Tech
394 Posts
The '05s have an electronic throttle. No cables invovled.

Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts