LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally completed the throttle body bypass mod. It really does not make any sense to me to send warm coolant fluid to heat up the throttle body if you live where I live where the average winter temperature is almost 75 degrees and the average summer temperature is 105 degrees.

I looked up this mod in other forums and folks have done it using simple household items. Since the GTO is my playtoy, I have decided that all mods performed to it will be store bought. So I got the kit from BMR for about 15 bucks which includes 2 hose clamps, 2 rubber nipples, and an aluminum coupling tube for about $15 bucks.

First, I removed the black intake tube to expose the throttle body. It was not easy to disconnect the coolant hose leading to the driver side of the throttle body because it had the cheap spring loaded clip holding it in place. The passenger side was much easier to detach because it was held by the screw driven hose clamp type.

Once each coolant tube was disconnected, I was fully prepared for the coolant to pour out so I made sure there was a rag to soak up the fluid and I also "plugged" each rubber hose with a large drill bit to stop the fluid from leaking into my brand spanking new engine bay.

Then just cover each inlet on either side of the TB with the rubber nipple and connect both hoses using the lightweight aluminum coupler and secure all connections with hose clamps.

Make sure the bypass is nowhere near the fan belt and reattach the intake tube back. Easy mod and probably worth it if you are an Arizonan like me. Now if you live near the Great Lakes......... :confused:

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Nice pics and instructions. I plan on doing this when i do the CAI at the same time. I did it on my LT1 TA and drove that in the weather in which we can dip pretty cold at times without problems. So i'm not sure what the coolant in the TB does other than maybe an emissions thing.

·
...and former GTO owner.
841 Posts
Adam4356 said:
Nice pics and instructions. I plan on doing this when i do the CAI at the same time. I did it on my LT1 TA and drove that in the weather in which we can dip pretty cold at times without problems. So i'm not sure what the coolant in the TB does other than maybe an emissions thing.

Not emissions as much as the possibility of the throttle body freezing in cold climates.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AmesGTO said:
You got this from BMR? I've bought several things from them but have never seen this?
I went to their website and ordered part # TB002 (Throttle Body Bypass Kit for LS1).

Price is $14.95 with free S&H.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AmesGTO said:
BMR Fabrication? Am I the only one who doesn't find this part?

Yup. BMR fabrication.

I had the same problem when I went to the GTO section and gave up so I used their search button and typed "throttle body bypass" I think.

They sell 2 kinds and make sure you get the correct one. Pretty cheap in my opinion. But you live in Iowa right? What about winter?

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
I guess my question is - at what temperature does this become a bad idea? It gets to be 115F here in the summer but in the winter can get into the 20s...

·
2,432 Posts
desertgoat said:
... But you live in Iowa right? What about winter?
The GTO will sit in the garage for at least 3 months during the winter. I wouldn't drive it if there was any salt on the road. Even when the snow clears up it takes a week or two for the salt to go. I'll just add not driving it when the temp is near 32.

I only drove it in cold weather this year because I couldn't wait and the car was new.

It actually looks so easy to do I could take the kit off in Nov. and put it back on in May.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I would think that the heat of the engine would be enough to keep things from freezing up. The coolant going through there on a very cold day before you start the car would be below freezing anyway, so I think this only applies to extreme cold.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Okay educate me... what advantage does this MOD give?

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
my mechanic buddy says the reason they created the LS1 engine like this is b/c cold air coming into a COLD engine is not as good as warm into a COLD engine. so its another one of GM "protection" kind of things

huntress, the colder the air coming into engine the more HP the engine will make. i think i heard that someone gained one HP from this mod. but then again, every little one counts.

·
fmr9c1dvr
18 Posts
Save your $$$ The long hose, pictured on the left with drill bits, is long enough to reach all the way to the inlet/outlet where the other short hose (on the right)is. Just remove the short hose and put the end of the long hose on that outlet near the T/B. I used a couple of valve stem caps to cover the inlet/outlets on the T/B. Oh don't forget to tighten the hose clamps when finished. Save the $15 plus shipping.
Sincerely
Randy Anderson
2004 Quicksilver
8 K on clock

·
Registered
835 Posts
fmr9c1dvr said:
Save your $$$ The long hose, pictured on the left with drill bits, is long enough to reach all the way to the inlet/outlet where the other short hose (on the right)is. Just remove the short hose and put the end of the long hose on that outlet near the T/B. I used a couple of valve stem caps to cover the inlet/outlets on the T/B. Oh don't forget to tighten the hose clamps when finished. Save the $15 plus shipping.
Sincerely
Randy Anderson
2004 Quicksilver
8 K on clock
I agree and that is what I did on my car. Works fine and there are pictures on this board somewhere if you search the throttle body bypass.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
You don't need the kit per unless you want to save time and spend some more money. I got everything needed at a auto parts store for less than 8 bucks.

If the TB coolant is for prevention of freezing TB blades then it really doesn't come into play at anything close to cold weather in america. Maybe around absolute zero in a lab. On a 96 LT1 TA in the middle of winter, parked outside during work no problems at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts