LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
I got nothin!!!
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably wont do much good since its getting colder outside right??????????? Should I just wait till next spring to do it?

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
It's only a few bucks...do it now. Takes 10 min.

·
Hold on, we're goin for broke
1,499 Posts
DO IT!! Its free and it will take you about 10min...I think you have to live in Alaska to frezze you throttle blade(butterfly)..?

·
Sand Engineer
1,123 Posts
Umm I am somewhat knowledgable about cars but what are we talking about here...throttle bypass? what does it do and what do you need to do it?

·
Custom User Title
1,828 Posts
2006blkgto said:
Umm I am somewhat knowledgable about cars but what are we talking about here...throttle bypass? what does it do and what do you need to do it?
You bypass the throttle - no need to go WOT with your foot - it is always WOT.
Simply remove the throttle - Makes it faster, but traction is an issue.:gears:

Seriously though - the LS1 has coolant running to the throttle body to heat it - bypass the heating for a cooler TB and more power....

·
Sand Engineer
1,123 Posts
The same on LS2's, I cannot really go look right now as my car is in TX and I am Kuwait......two more months thank god its almost over.....:)

·
Custom User Title
1,828 Posts
MY06 Does not have it......AFAIK.

Hows Kuwait? I'm in Dubai at the moment.......same time zone I think?
We play rugby against Kuwait occasionally...

·
Sand Engineer
1,123 Posts
Kuwait sucks after being here a year. Looking forward to getting back and hopefully not blowing up my car :) and yes it is the same time zone

·
Administrator
20,427 Posts
omg yes DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'd like to correct one point, you do not need to be in "alaska" to freeze over your throtle blades...and actually it isn't the concern, rather, have a thin layer of ice reducing the tb size is the concern.
The freeze over happens in aviation, known as Carb Ice', the procedure for it is to turn on the carb heat...the drop in air pressure in the carb due to the venturi drops the air temp, so with moisture being present, and fuel, it results in that "carb iceing". Now funny and interesting point, all airplanes that are fuel injected, do not have carb heat, nor have carb ice problem...so why is gm heating up the tb? beats me, then you really need to be in alaska...I'd be interested to see the reasoning behind it...

·
Objects in mirror dont matter
3,777 Posts
Emissions control testing I do believe. The faster you warm up the engine, the leaner she can run.
Just a slightly educated guess.......

·
oog
6,160 Posts
This a 04 LS1 only mod. With the hot air of Summer you won't see any gains.But with the cool air of Fall you should see a slight gain plus it is free and easy to do so why not do it.

·
Hold on, we're goin for broke
1,499 Posts
Brazen6.0 said:
I'd like to correct one point, you do not need to be in "alaska" to freeze over your throtle blades...and actually it isn't the concern, rather, have a thin layer of ice reducing the tb size is the concern.
The freeze over happens in aviation, known as Carb Ice', the procedure for it is to turn on the carb heat...the drop in air pressure in the carb due to the venturi drops the air temp, so with moisture being present, and fuel, it results in that "carb iceing". Now funny and interesting point, all airplanes that are fuel injected, do not have carb heat, nor have carb ice problem...so why is gm heating up the tb? beats me, then you really need to be in alaska...I'd be interested to see the reasoning behind it...
It was just a guess man...After a little thinking maybe it was put there to keep from the IAC orfice on 04's from frezzing up to maintain idol. On LS2's there is none just the throttle butterfly motor itself to control idle no IAC. Just brainstorming sorry to get off topic.....

BTW: Dooo itt, it's Leparrdd....J/K

·
Cattle Dog Hauler
24 Posts
Brazen6.0 said:
Now funny and interesting point, all airplanes that are fuel injected, do not have carb heat, nor have carb ice problem...so why is gm heating up the tb? beats me, then you really need to be in alaska...I'd be interested to see the reasoning behind it...
GM sells the same car in all 50 states, most probably do not need TB heat, but some do and there's no way to control where the vehicle is sold or used.

They use it primarily because of PCV moisture. Cars that are marshalled around dealer lots are prone to collecting moisture from the PCV system and occasionally the throttle blade won't park correctly when it gets hung up on a bit of ice.

I wouldn't worry about disconnecting it. I've been running my wife's GTP without it for 6 years now and I live in the middle of nowhere Maine.

·
Losing Posts By The Day...
1,192 Posts
Brazen6.0 said:

Who needs Carb Heat with IAT's like ours? :wall:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts