LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody bypassed the collant on the throttlebody? I have heard it makes the air going in considerably cooler, since it is not as hot as the engine.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Yea. It's a dirt cheap mod but isn't a HP gainer. It's what is considered a "free mod".

I would caution against it though if you live in a climate where it gets pretty cold. GM does this on purpose to help eliminate "icing" on the throttle from the incoming air on those below 32* days.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well couldn't just reconnect it in the winter. I figure if you do that than the air going in the engine will cool down for a 2 or 3 hp gain.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
If you wanted. Most people are lazy though. Or forget about it. :D

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Wasn't worrying. I run mine without it too. Just pointing out the pros and cons so that the original poster can make his/her own decision.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
ok. :)

I didn't want to sound worried. :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
by the way guys the 28-30 of september gm is offering 0% for 72 months. On all 04 vehicles. not bad. But you can't use the gmac fin. allowance.

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
I wouldn't worry about you worrying about sounding worried............I'll stop now

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
also is it true that the drive shaft can only handle about 450 hp. they say it is one of the weakest links in the drivetrain?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
The clutch is the weakest link, then the two piece rubber couplered driveshaft, then the halfshafts.

I'm worried that you're worried that there may be some potential worry about worrying. Or something like that! :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ha ha. I do dragrace some. What kind of life expectancy can i see from the clutch. Is it just a piece of junk, or can it handle a far amount of abuse'

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Follow this link...

gmsgto said:
Has anybody bypassed the collant on the throttlebody? I have heard it makes the air going in considerably cooler, since it is not as hot as the engine.
TB Bypass Mod

Very easy to do. I bought a "kit" but parts can be obtained cheaply at any hardware store. I just prefer shopping online and waiting for my wife's boyfriend, the UPS delivery guy, to show up at my house while I am away at work. Here are some pics of the install..

The concept of the TB bypass is based on insulation of any component transferring air into your TB. Since the coolant is cooler than your engine but hotter than your TB, it makes sense to bypass it. If you live in places where there is danger of your TB freezing, then the coolant is important and I suggest NOT doing this mod. I live in AZ. I actually went severa lsteps further and also insulated my stock airbox from any hot engine air, and also insulated the air intake accordion tube and the IAT sensor.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I did the TBB on mine. You don't need a kit to do the GTO. I just removed the coolant hose on the left and attached directly to the aluminum coolant pipe on the right. Removed the 3-4in section of hose from TB to coolant pipe.

It's a easy mod with a minimal gain. No problems in cold weather ever with years of service on LT1 TA.

·
Sold 5/2/09
657 Posts
gmsgto said:
ha ha. I do dragrace some. What kind of life expectancy can i see from the clutch. Is it just a piece of junk, or can it handle a far amount of abuse'
Well, I only got 18K miles from my factory clutch in the SS. I pound my cars harder than most people probably do (4k rpm clutch dumps on drag radials for instance). I don't know how similar the clutch setup is with the GTO compared to the f/y body, but If it's using the same LS6/Z06 setup, I'm sure with some minor track days you could get 50K miles out of one.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Well, the one in the GTO lasted less than 100 miles and the one in my Camaro lasted maybe 4,000.

But then again, the Camaro had many passes at the drag strip "hotlapping" sometimes and the GTO had a couple hard romps and a big burnout right away that did it in.

If you drive it like the family truckster, it'll last 75,000 miles. :D

·
Sold 5/2/09
657 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Well, the one in the GTO lasted less than 100 miles and the one in my Camaro lasted maybe 4,000.
You know how crappy our clutches are though! 98-00's had the worst setup. I actually bought my car with 12K miles, so I figure they were easy miles. So I had 6K hard miles before my clutch went. That's not good, but I'm sure they didn't take into mind lunatics who love the track :cool:

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Crappy is an understatement.

But I guess it was a 6 of one, half dozen of another situation because if I had a good clutch from the factory, then it would've been the infamous 10 bolt to grenade. And it's more costly. :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts