LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I commented on this item in another thread but I now that I've had more time in the car with this piece in place I feel compelled to start a thread specific to this item. I'm talking about the Tick bronze shifter cup. This well made item (don't fall for the knockoffs please) replaces the small plastic cup in the shifter arm inside the transmission into which your shifter handle goes so you have control from the shifter to the tranmsission lever.

It was a whole lot of PITA to get the shifter out just to get at where the cup goes. Personally, I would suggest just waiting to install this item for the next time you have a need to either drop the transmission or will be replacing the shifter or have some other reason to be in there. What a PITA it is to drop the trans enough to be able to get the boot bolted to the floor off and to be able to reach the bolts that hold the shifter to the top of the transmission.

Anyway, I had a bit of a challenge in getting the OEM plastic cup out of the shifter lever, but a judicious tap with a long wide flat blade screwdriver got it started and then I could wiggle it out. The new bronze cup was very snug, I had to get it started very straight and then lightly tap it in with a block of wood and a hammer. Don't get carried away, bronze can be more brittle than steel and one over zealous off center whack with a hammer and you'll be reinstalling the plastic up until your replacement bronze cup arrives.

Once in place it was the PITA process of putting things back together. Be sure to put a little lithium grease on the cup where the ball of the shifter goes so it doesn't go in dry and start wearing prematurely. I'm sure once driven the transmission fluid lubricates it well enough. The OEM plastic cup as covered in transmission fluid.

I honestly expected not much of a result and I expected to get more shifter noise and vibration for my trouble. I was very wrong. No additional noise, no additional vibration. What I did get is a noticeable improvement in shift feel. I can now feel exactly where I'm at with each shift and it is ever so easy to tell if I am fully in gear yet or not. I feel every distinct step of the way to disengaging and engaging each gear. It isn't easier to shift, just feels much more precise and communicative. I have a Pro Billet (a remote shifter like the stock shifter but much, much better) which probably feels different than a direct shifter, but I'll bet the feel would be even better with a direct shifter.

Regardless, this seemingly minor upgrade is well worth the $25 for the bushing cup. I'll just not comment if it was worth the PITA of getting the shifter off and on...but it is in there now and I'm glad I installed it.

·
Coco Conocido
816 Posts
When removing the rubber shift insulator boot. Don't bother unbolting that frame from the floor. Just spray some silicone in there and pull it out. Work it back in with a plastic trim removal tool and some more silicone. I did that when i replaced the boot on mine.

·
GR-RRR!
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When removing the rubber shift insulator boot. Don't bother unbolting that frame from the floor. Just spray some silicone in there and pull it out. Work it back in with a plastic trim removal tool and some more silicone. I did that when i replaced the boot on mine.
Now you tell me......

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
442 Posts
Thanks for the review, I've been meaning to get one of those and this was enough to push me over the edge and I'll be ordering one soon. As for work to remove the shifter, though I haven't done it in a little while now, I have done it quite a few times before that it doesn't worry me as such a PITA to me.

Make sure to keep an eye out for trans fluid leaking from the shifter mount now, I've had that issue a few times and hence why I've removed it quite a few times to re-install new gaskets. Speaking of which, if you have not had such problems in the past, maybe I am doing something wrong and in that case, what gasket do you use for sealing the shifter? I once ordered a new gasket from the dealer (which was like $50!) only for it to get ripped and leak as well. The only one I've had luck with is the silicone gasket from stangshiftergaskets.

·
GR-RRR!
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the same gasket I used. I reused my gasket during the Tick cup install. It was a little deformed so I put a very thin skim of RTV on it and stuck it to the shifter before install. I recall the original instructions with the gasket said to absolutely NOT use any RTV or any other sealer, but I had to use something to at least hold it in place as it had been stretched out a bit. I'll check it in a while to make sure nothing is leaking there, but I've driven less than 50 miles since the cup install.

·
Performance Addict
2005 PBM, 6 Speed, corner carver
207 Posts
I ordered one and also the remote bleeder they make.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
442 Posts
Ok, I ordered the bronze cup and a new shifter gasket as well.. wouldn't want to have to remove the shifter twice.

It feels good too.. It's been a while since I bought anything to 'improve' the GTO in any way.

·
Premium Member
2006 GTO IBM 6 Speed
404 Posts
I used the Tick bronze cup and Cobra Bob gasket. No leaks and no extra noise or vibration.I'm very happy with both.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
just ordered. wish i would have remembered to get it from Tick when i ordered the shims. they charge way too much for shipping but buy it off ebay and its free shipping. go figure.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Funny this thread just popped up, I've got one sitting on my desk delivered this afternoon. Looking forward to installing with my new to me MGW shifter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts