LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
got man pedal?
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering what the best spots would be to tie down the car to a trailer,im guesing the control arms in the rear,not sure about the front.i will be trailering my car to a track next month-using my friends box trailer that he uses to to haul his nova and karmenghia.i plan on gutting the trunk and taking out the seats in the rear and passenger seat,and anything else that isnt too hard to take out,this will be ofcourse just for the track.i figure it will be more fun at the track if i dont have to change tires and everything else when i get there,then put them back on when im done

·
Cruisin...
2,722 Posts
you know how silly you are going to look if you trailer in a 12 or 13 second car...why not just drive it there?

·
Bye Bye Goat..It's Been Fun
3,934 Posts
Rome said:
you know how silly you are going to look if you trailer in a 12 or 13 second car...why not just drive it there?
He will look a lot less silly than the guy waiting for a tow truck if his car breaks. Sice when does ET relate to caution?

·
That ain't no cake
2,665 Posts
I'd be trailering mine if I had one, no changing tires and ilf you break like 24v said, no problem. :gears:

·
got man pedal?
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im trailering it because my friend offered to haul it up for me with his chevy hd.he has a kick ass enclosed trailer with lighting,shelves full of tools,a grill,a gocart,plus a bunch of other stuff.i ussually follow him up to the drag strip and use his tools and air compresser to change my tires.(but both of his cars are broke)plus the trailer is a nice place to sit and hang out between runs,now who looks silly- me sitting comfortably in the trailer eating a beerbraat or you standing around your car between runs?

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
24v said:
He will look a lot less silly than the guy waiting for a tow truck if his car breaks. Sice when does ET relate to caution?
yep.......I've been trailering mine since the 12's

we do these track rentals sometimes 2+hrs away from home and being on stock tranny and driveline parts, I feel its just smarter to be prepared. cheaper too

·
Baby Elvis FTW!
736 Posts
I've seen 12 second GTO's break their cv axles. I just bought a trailer today. I haven't put the car on it yet so I can't help you with tie down spots.

·
11 second ALL MOTOR
383 Posts
i have a track one hour awayand i drive. when i go four hours away i trailer my car. i would tie the car down with straps not chains to the front lower control arms and the rear control arms. don't tie to the body. the car will loosen up from bouncing.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have been using the factory transportation anchor points. There are holes in the frame up front and holed tabs for the rear.

·
My GTO for sale $19700
62 Posts
I have heard that you should put the tiedowns through the wheels so that the suspension can do its job and absorb bumps, but I have never trailored a car.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have heard that before too. I did that once with my factory wheels, but I'd never do it with wheels I care about.

When I trailer my car using the OEM anchor points, it seems to work very well. I cross the tie downs (driver front to front passenger side of trailer, etc.).

I purchased a set of wheel straps, but they do not work well on these cars.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
it sucks the first time out when a crowd forms around car thinkin you rolled up with some badass GTO only to run 12's..

the track is 5mins. from my house but i had to go to a GTO gathering and i have the means for a truck and trailer i'd use it :shrug:

·
got man pedal?
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i always do drive, but the track i will be going to is over 2+ hrs away.to me the whole trailer thing just makes the trip to the track much more enjoyable,no switching out wheels,and a place to relax between runs,beats the heck out of standing around your car all day,most tracks around me you wait a good 1-2 hours or more between runs

·
Blowed Up...
11,360 Posts
I have been trailering my car since I broke down the first tim and have been thankful I had a trailer with me 3 other times! Lets just say rear ends and blowers are not something that live long in this GTO.

I use the two hooks just inside the wheel wells on the rear and cross the tie downs. For the front I just hook up to the cross member openings and tighten her down. Throw your excess rope in the doors and trunk and have fun.

I love trailering my car... the looks I get from some people especially crack me up, and I have been run off the road from people paying more attention to the truck/trailer/GTO, than the road!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts