LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to install a poly steering rack bushing while I'm under the car to install long tube headers. I know you need to remove one of the boots to get the old bushing and bracket off to get the new bushing in. I was expecting to have to buy some of those fancy little steel strap clamps to reinstall the boot. However, when I inspected the boots, I found they are installed with zip ties. One large-ish zip tie on the inner larger end and two tiny zip ties on the narrow end. Same on both ends. As far as I know the inner tie rods have never been messed with and I know I have never removed the tie rod boots. Did the factory really install these with zip ties?

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,070 Posts
A mixture of zip ties and white-ish cable clamps that look like this:

Mine, also, has never had the rack worked on since I've owned it starting at ~60k miles.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Doing the same actually. Only bushing I haven’t swapped. Always seen the plastic clamps. Gonna try and get some or ziptie.

·
Administrator
8,099 Posts
Yup, that’s OEM.

·
Worthless reject member
39,249 Posts
i wonder what would be bad about using the type of clamps they use on cv joint boots, the ones where you crimp the little loop on the side? hmnn.

·
GR-RRR!
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i wonder what would be bad about using the type of clamps they use on cv joint boots, the ones where you crimp the little loop on the side? hmnn.
Finding the exact right size for one.

·
GR-RRR!
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
GR-RRR!
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine are zip ties too. Nothing really wrong with a good quality zip tie, is it?
No, just want to be sure I am replacing the clamps appropriately. If GM considered a zip tie adequate I will too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts