LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my back on red 6 speed played cat and mouse in downtown traffic with a red Mitsu Evo-at the first and only red light (before he turned) we faced off-I didn't rev it enough for a good launch but we were neck and neck-I felt the rev limiter kick in at 6200-short race -only first gear but would have won had I launched better-FUN though!

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
GTOman1 said:
my back on red 6 speed played cat and mouse in downtown traffic with a red Mitsu Evo-at the first and only red light (before he turned) we faced off-I didn't rev it enough for a good launch but we were neck and neck-I felt the rev limiter kick in at 6200-short race -only first gear but would have won had I launched better-FUN though!
nice work. just dont get too ****y, and be prepared. those Evos and STis are dangerous. especially from a stop. you should be proud that you didn't get your butt handed to you.

·
BORN IN BKLYN NOW IN MN
248 Posts
A while back, on fathers day I raced a stock evo from a roll. I think 35-40mph.
I jump on him real quick, about half/a car. Stayed even with me to about 90 then started to slowy pull away. Have to shut it down because of traffic and road conditions(bumpy).

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
I too have had a chance to race a modded WRX from a roll (we ran from 2nd to 4th) and outgunned him, expecially through 3rd where I made decent ground on him). From a dead stop we are at disadvantage if he/she( WRX, STi, Evo) want to sidestep the clutch at 6K!!! I like a low speed rolling start because it becomes a competition of horespower and driving skill not traction!

·
Moving Forward
2,163 Posts
I'm not too impressed with the EVO's. I raced one from a roll and we were neck and neck the whole way till traffic caught up in my lane. For a car that is faster then my stock 01 Mustang GT i was expecting to get my butt handed to me. Either the driver was horrible or the car just doesn't have any balls like the STi does. I think Mitsubishi should have brought over the real Evo similar to the one-step-down from rally racing STi. The STi is an almost race car, the Evo is a turboed sport sedan and far from emulating its Rally Car.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Razinhell said:
I'm not too impressed with the EVO's. I raced one from a roll and we were neck and neck the whole way till traffic caught up in my lane. For a car that is faster then my stock 01 Mustang GT i was expecting to get my butt handed to me. Either the driver was horrible or the car just doesn't have any balls like the STi does. I think Mitsubishi should have brought over the real Evo similar to the one-step-down from rally racing STi. The STi is an almost race car, the Evo is a turboed sport sedan and far from emulating its Rally Car.
if you had been racing from a stop you WOULD have gotten your but handed to you.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
"if you had been racing from a stop you WOULD have gotten your but handed to you."

That's not necessarily true. I raced a guy in a Grand am when my WRX was stock, I didn't launch hard enough and I bogged and the bastard beat me. Another time a launched at about 6000 rpms and the force was pretty harsh, harsh enough to slip the clutch rather than take off like a bat out of hell. And finally I launched pretty hard racing a friend in a Lightning and boom, my transmission blew up, teeth and gear pieces followed.

The weak link in a standard WRX is the tranny, the STi has alot better transmission. But remember that everytime you race a WRX he is destroying his car, and you are just destroying your tires.

PS- I know that I am hard on cars, but as my father always said, I beat you because I love you. :banghead:

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
ok ok, so if you were racing from a dead stop and the guy in the WRX can launch it, you are screwed.

·
I did a bad, bad thing
1,450 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
STis are dangerous. especially from a stop. you should be proud that you didn't get your butt handed to you.
Ain't that the truth :D

Razinhell said:
Not to be contradictory, but aside from typical DSM build quality issues, the Evos are pretty potent little machines. Racing from a roll of course the 11hp advantage over a stock Mustang GT is going to be completely diminished, therefore you should have been neck and neck. Parasitic horsepower loss in the drivetrain on an AWD vehicle is a ****** believe me I know.

In all actuality, the Evo VIII is closer to being a real rallycar than my STi. Sure the STi comes with some goodies like a VCD that can be found on the real rallycars, but Subaru cheated a bit. Maximum displacement for a rally vehicle in the WRC is 2.0L. The USDM STi's come with 2.5L of displacement, Evo's make use of 20% less motor.

Not trying to downtalk my car, but the Evo isn't that bad of a machine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts