LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long should it take the dealership to tighten these supposed LOOSE flywheel bolts? Also will the dealer even know what to check? I have told them, but THEY NEVER EVER LISTEN!
Because when I throw the clutch in my engine rattles.
Just need all the info i can so i can get this fixed on Wednesday during my appointment! Thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sorry rocket but I believe they have to remove the trans, so it could be a day or two. I haven't really looked to see if there is another way in past the bellhousing .They should be able to get a good look at the whole clutch setup and will probably throw in a new friction disk while they have it apart.Mostly guessing but that would probably do it.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Clutch problem

Rocket said:
Damn that seems like a LONG time!

Anyone else have this done yet?
Yup! Tons of posts on it. Look around... :(

·
\m/ (>.<) \m/
762 Posts
It took the dealer about 3 days 'cause they had to order the parts for me. And I ended up with everything inside the bellhousing replaced. (flywheel, clutch disc, flex plate, throwout bearing, clutch slave cylinder)

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Let's see, you have to remove exhaust, remove a two piece driveshaft, then remove the transmission. T56's tranny's are long, heavy and are like balancing an egg on end (until they get it strapped to a jack at least). It requires, removing some of your center console so as to remove the shifter, then once underneath, I hope the take the trans out in sections, I.E. remove the gearbox itself from the bell housing (as it'll make getting to the top bellhousing bolts easier from underneath if you don't get them from above...you can on the GTO), then remove the bellhousing from the engine block, then remove the clutch, then finally the flywheel.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Yeah, what all these guys have said. I'm not a mechanic, but I would expect my dealership to have my car for a few days if they were gonna do that kind of work. It's a big job.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CMNTMXR57 said:
Let's see, you have to remove exhaust, remove a two piece driveshaft, then remove the transmission. T56's tranny's are long, heavy and are like balancing an egg on end (until they get it strapped to a jack at least). It requires, removing some of your center console so as to remove the shifter, then once underneath, I hope the take the trans out in sections, I.E. remove the gearbox itself from the bell housing (as it'll make getting to the top bellhousing bolts easier from underneath if you don't get them from above...you can on the GTO), then remove the bellhousing from the engine block, then remove the clutch, then finally the flywheel.
Thanks for the detailed reply. Now I know what to plan for. Thanks
I just HOPED there was some miracle way to tighten them! :eek:

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Well, to gauge correctly. On my more simple Camaro, excluding the miscellaneous time to get the car up in the air high enough in my garage, it took me 3.5 hours from start to finish to replace the clutch. However, on the Camaro, exhaust removal didn't need to be done, and the drive shaft is one piece of aluminum not two pieces.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Oh, and the starter will also most likely need to be removed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts