LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Ok, this was my first ever manual car and I will admit, every chance i got i ripped loose second. But the main thing was the first couple weeks I had it I had a hill to contend with that was huge. I burnt the clutch twice there. Then while racing a car on the street i pulled a stupid as move and had it in third to start. That added to the damage to the clutch. Basiclly I ruined my first clutch like i expected since now breaking loose tires doesnt happen so much. You can feel it slipping. I have like 8k miles on it and it grabs really well still but not enough to promote the wheels from breaking loose on perfectly warm, dry, street surfaces. I had so much fun with the car but now i realize i beat on it alot and now its time to settle down and just have fun.

As far as a new clutch goes, do you think I should go aftermarket or just have the dealer install a stock one? My mods won't go to H/C or S/C for at least a couple years so I don't need anything monsterous.

As far as removing the stock one, what is involved. Does the whole tranny need to be dropped out from the car or can it be slid off the motor and just supported to gain access to the clutch/flywheel area?

Thanks for any suggestions, money really isn't tight so if theres something out there that will handle abuse and last long let me know.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
if you were gonna stay stock then you might as well have it replaced under warranty. but if you know that you are gonna mod big, then you might as well go SPEC 3 and call it a day. :cool: JMO

i will be in this same boat in a few years, when the stock clutch goes. but im sure that one day i will start modding big, so i will probably pop for SPEC 3

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I certainly wouldn't put in a factory clutch unless it was a warranty freebie. They shouldn't blame the clutch failure on the exhaust, as you're still not making as much power as an LS2, which probably uses the same clutch. Wipe the rubber off the rear fenders before you take it in :D

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, the rear tires are doing well, i have only done maybe 2 burnouts since I've had the car. I don't beat on it that hard. I just drive it hard. I did get the tranny replaced due to the tsbs on it. maybe I can blame all the bad disengagements i had with it and missed shifts due to it not engaging the clutch properly.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I would probably do the OE clutch as waranty item. At least at this point. You can gain from going aftermarket clutch as well as flywheel but you might as well wait until the mods are there to worry about the next step.

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah thats what I was thinking. I like to keep the stock flywheel just to make driveability better since i drive the car everyday to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts