LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Seriously?
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has come to upgrade the stock 2004 brakes. I was set on 2005, 2006 parts but am now more interested in CTS V calipers and the necessary rotors, pads and adapter brackets. Obviously, these have been installed on GTOs for years now, so nothing new here. It does cost more money now then it did back in 2013 when this upgrade was materializing.

After running some numbers and being rational, I feel like the 4 piston front and rear set up will be better for me. The 4 piston calipers are significantly cheaper, almost $200 per caliper cheaper. My car is not a daily driver and never will be, and I have never been to an autocross track with it, but that could change. I have read and searched quite a bit, even read all 48 pages of the Ultimate V brake thread. I will keep my stock 18s, although I am contemplating VMR 710s but that will be next year if I do those.

Is there any real reason other than 6 pistons are better than 4 and aesthetics, that I shouldn't go with the 4 piston calipers? Before anyone says what about 2005 brakes, I haven't ruled them out, but I want to rule out CTS V brembos all together if I go 2005. I figure on approximately $1800 for the CTS V 4 pot set up... good pads, rotors, Russell lines and bleeders, the calipers, the Bohnman brackets, etc.

Right now I am sitting on a Pedders XA coilover kit, front Whiteline control arms and the Whiteline rack bushing. It would be ideal to install the brakes when the suspension goes on. I will sell my Pedders shocks and drag springs to offset some costs.

Your thoughts in 2021?

·
Seriously?
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

You are running OEM 18's, correct?
Yes... been running them since 2005. If there is a change from them, it will be 18" VMR 710s, but that will be next year at the soonest.

At this point, I am heavily leaning on the 4 piston front and rears for cost reasons and I feel they will be more than adequate for me. The front 4 pistons are $400+ cheaper than the 6 piston calipers. Sadly, the freakin rear calipers are about $100 a piece more than the fronts. Regardless, it is still great bang for the buck. Still interested in more opinions, so fire away...

·
It's only cosmetic...
564 Posts
I just did the BFBK kit, so 6-piston, 2-piece rotor setup in the front. I got a really good price on a set of new calipers for the conversion.

The Z06 rear rotors were available in 3 styles:
J55 - drilled rotor with black hat - 19121797
J56 - heavy duty drilled rotor with gray coated hat - 1770925
JL9 - smooth rotor with black hat - 19286285

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,385 Posts
There is a good amount of work in getting everything installed, front and rear. But once it's all done, never having to mess with sliding calipers again is nice.
I put 40k miles on the 4 piston front and rear setup and they're great. Lots of pad and rotor choice. For a street car, the Hawk Performance Ceramic pads are nice with Brembos.
Rotors, go with whatever floats your piston.

I need to list my Gen1 4 piston fronts for sale...

Reactions: WickedGoat

·
Seriously?
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm at $1139.90 on Rock Auto... 5th gen 4 piston rears, V1 4 piston fronts, 5th gen Raybestos R300 slotted 14" fronts, C6 Raybestos R300 slotted 13.4 rears, Power Stop Z26 front and rear V1 pads, that come with hardware kits. All that is left is the Bohnman bracket kits, <$500, and I asked Mr. Kollar for a price on the Russell 2004 brake lines and a set of 8 speed bleeders, which I will guesstimate $220. Gonna be under $2k with this.

If I go with these calipers I listed, I either need to paint the rears silver or the fronts black. Rock Auto is out of stock on the 172-2308. Summit has one but it is almost $300. So I either go with what is available now, wait it out, or pay the extra for the one from Summit. Amazon was higher than everyone, so they are out. The black 4 piston fronts were over $300 a piece so may as well consider the silver 6 pistons at that rate. Crap is making my head spin!!

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Here's what I spent for a 6/4 setup late in 2019. I was checking Amazon for the calipers constantly and waiting for the price to drop, which it eventually did enough for me to jump on. I strictly did the 6 piston fronts for the aesthetics.
Automotive tire Font Audio equipment Electronic device Screenshot

·
Seriously?
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's what I spent for a 6/4 setup late in 2019. I was checking Amazon for the calipers constantly and waiting for the price to drop, which it eventually did enough for me to jump on. I strictly did the 6 piston fronts for the aesthetics.
View attachment 510878
I've been watching your video series on the brake swap, and I watched a lot of the suspension stuff... very helpful.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I've been watching your video series on the brake swap, and I watched a lot of the suspension stuff... very helpful.
Glad to hear it. This winter I'll be doing the rest of the suspension, and also a header install. Though I don't know if it will be all that helpful because I'm mainly doing it since I'm swapping the front cradle and "while I'm in there"

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Oh btw I don't do the 700 ft lbs and 9 million degree second pass on the caliper bracket to knuckle bolts anymore, I feel like nordlocks red loctite and 129 lbs is more than enough. Plus it's good enough for the caliper bolts so

·
Seriously?
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad to hear it. This winter I'll be doing the rest of the suspension, and also a header install. Though I don't know if it will be all that helpful because I'm mainly doing it since I'm swapping the front cradle and "while I'm in there"
Oh btw I don't do the 700 ft lbs and 9 million degree second pass on the caliper bracket to knuckle bolts anymore, I feel like nordlocks red loctite and 129 lbs is more than enough. Plus it's good enough for the caliper bolts so
Yeah, I don't blame you as I was thinking the same thing. If 100 ft. lbs is sufficient for most lug nuts, it's pretty good for a brake caliper bolt, especially with loctite on it. I have the AUS version of a Chilton manual so I will see what it says. Funny thing is, I bought a torque angle meter like you used way back in the day because of this car's plus 90° torque specs, but have never used it.

The header install will be cake since you are dropping the cradle. I had the luxury of a lift when I did mine and the car only had a couple thousand miles on it so everything came apart with ease.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,385 Posts
100ft lbs here and nothing loosened from autocross, some tracking, and tail of the Dragon. Still survive a commute to work too.

Also, kept my 05-06 Goodridge stainless lines with 4 piston and now 6 piston fronts through all of the above for 40k miles...still here to type.

Anecdote.

Reactions: WickedGoat

·
Seriously?
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I don't get the dam degrees BS. Give me a number, I'll set the wrench and torque it.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I did a lot of reading on here about it. If it's something where clamping force is important like head bolts, sure. But when the exact same bolt size right next to this one is just a straight torque setting, I'm going with that. I know I whined about it on video installing the front caliper lol

·
Seriously?
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well 90° doesn't sound like much, until you are in the position you are in with the video. I am pretty sure I would have done 100 ft lbs with some red loctite and checked it after a the break in and went from there.

Reactions: evsnova74

·
Registered
310 Posts

4 piston front and back - No issues street or autoX use. HPS front with HP+ pads in the rear, powerslot rotors. Stainless line. Pedal feel is amazing, easy to modulate.

This is the kit that uses BMW 7 series fronts and Z06 rears.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does anybody know if Z/28 Carbon ceramic rotors will fit the GTO's. I would love to put Z/28 brakes on my GTO. Very pricy but also very cool! Is there a kit available?

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,385 Posts
Well 90° doesn't sound like much, until you are in the position you are in with the video. I am pretty sure I would have done 100 ft lbs with some red loctite and checked it after a the break in and went from there.
Loctite everything everywhere always 🤡
I use blue with the brakes.

Does anybody know if Z/28 Carbon ceramic rotors will fit the GTO's. I would love to put Z/28 brakes on my GTO. Very pricy but also very cool! Is there a kit available?
No one is putting $30k brakes on a $10k car that can't generate the grip of a Z/28, but you can be the first.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I believe my calipers to bracket bolts were torqued on at roughly 70lbs. The calipers are fairly soft aluminium and I was afraid of damaging the threads. Either way they've been on for longer than I can remember and lasted through a lot of street and autocross

1 - 20 of 55 Posts