LS1GTO Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts

Great value proposition
I could do $12,000 I think. What needs to be done to install this kit onto a GTO? You would basically never need to replace brakes ever again. Think of the unsprung weight advantage. get some lightweight forged wheels and have at it.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,385 Posts

Great value proposition
Only $12,600, plus some 20" wheels and custom adapter brackets to get them to fit.
Totally possible for under $15,000....................................................................................on a GTO.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,385 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Only $12,600, plus some 20" wheels and custom adapter brackets to get them to fit.
Totally possible for under $15,000....................................................................................on a GTO.
When you say "custom adapter brackets" does that mean I would have to fab them up myself? That's not going to happen. Could 5th gen spindles be installed. After all the GTO's are built on the same frame work as the 5th gen camaro's am I right?

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,385 Posts
When you say "custom adapter brackets" does that mean I would have to fab them up myself? That's not going to happen. Could 5th gen spindles be installed. After all the GTO's are built on the same frame work as the 5th gen camaro's am I right?
Incorrect. The GTO is the Holden VT and VZ platform, similar to Cadillac Caterras and Opel Omegas.
The 5th Gen Camaro is the Zeta platform, very similar to the Holden VE and VF generation cars.

The only shared architecture between the GTO and the 5th Gen Camaro is they have the same strut top mounts. Everything below that, struts, knuckles/spindles, etc are different.

See Bohnman Customs for how most people are bolting up CTS-V/ZL1/Corvette 6 piston Brembos using the ITSME4G63 brackets.

The Z/28 and ZR1 carbon ceramic associated 6 piston Brembos have a different mounting geometry from the 6 piston calipers linked above.
You would need to make, or have someone make, brackets for the carbon ceramic calipers.

Steel rotor calipers

Carbon Ceramics

·
Registered
42 Posts
Incorrect. The GTO is the Holden VT and VZ platform, similar to Cadillac Caterras and Opel Omegas.
The 5th Gen Camaro is the Zeta platform, very similar to the Holden VE and VF generation cars.

The only shared architecture between the GTO and the 5th Gen Camaro is they have the same strut top mounts. Everything below that, struts, knuckles/spindles, etc are different.

See Bohnman Customs for how most people are bolting up CTS-V/ZL1/Corvette 6 piston Brembos using the ITSME4G63 brackets.

The Z/28 and ZR1 carbon ceramic associated 6 piston Brembos have a different mounting geometry from the 6 piston calipers linked above.
You would need to make, or have someone make, brackets for the carbon ceramic calipers.

Steel rotor calipers
View attachment 510944 View attachment 510945

Carbon Ceramics

Thanks for all the help. Could I use the CTS/V calipers with the Z/28 carbon ceramic rotors? would it be easier to use the corvette style carbon ceramic rotors

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,385 Posts
The carbon ceramic rotors are larger than the CTS-V rotors so I assume the answer is no.

·
Seriously?
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So, to those that have installed the ARP wheel studs while doing this upgrade... Was this a while you are in there deal, or is there a reason for it? If these are needed then this is the last price I need to get. I am at $1839 for everything but the wheel studs. And this is with 4 piston front and rear calipers. Add another $400 for 6 piston fronts. I could save $300 by getting cheaper front rotors and foregoing the Russell stuff, but I'd rather get the good stuff and do it all at once.

I will say you definitely need to look around for deals on this stuff because the prices have gone up tremendously.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would say the ARP hardware is for good measure. Possible that depending on wheel choice you may need the extra length. I didn't upgrade with the 4pot kit and VMRs.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,385 Posts
ARP studs for safety and for many wheels requiring significant spacers to clear the brakes.
I need 12mm spacers for my front Brembos to clear my G8 GT 19" wheels, 6mm for my Apex wheels.

Reactions: WickedGoat

·
Worthless reject member
49,786 Posts
After all the GTO's are built on the same frame work as the 5th gen camaro's am I right?
Just a historical "there was a GTO in transformers" anecdote:

IIRC, the 5th gen camaros in the first movie were actually copycat camaro bodywork built around GTO's, or something of that nature. Since, you know, the camaro wasn't even released at that time.

So in that sole instance, you would be correct.

I remember catching a GTO door handle inside bumble bee and was like HMMMMN that looks familiar.

AAAAH 2007 how i never want to see you again.

Sorry for interrupting your thread, carry on.

·
Seriously?
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
It is all good brother Nothubertjfarnsworth!

·
Seriously?
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Started ordering parts last night. Calipers, rotors and pads from Rock Auto and the brackets from Bohnman. Got to order the Russell lines and bleeders and GTO caliper decals.

·
Seriously?
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Parts have all arrived. Had to substitute the Russell lines for another brand, Safebrake. This is an Australian company who has very good reviews amongst the Aussies and their Holdens. It is a 6 hose kit and it is advertised as a 2004-2006 kit because the front hoses are the longer 2004 length. I emailed the company and poked around elsewhere before I made the decision to buy them.

The "itsme4g63" kit looks great. Damian has been nothing but helpful from my first questions, through parts selection and a couple of follow up questions. Very well packaged and all of the bolts, bushings and what not are all clearly marked.

I ordered all of my brake parts from Rock Auto. I ordered the Safebrake hoses from them on ebay and they were drop shipped from the manufacturer overseas. I ordered the GTO brake caliper decals from Grafxwerks and they shipped today.

All I have left to do is paint the calipers. Yep, going with paint because the pricing I have gotten for powder coating is almost equaling the cost of the calipers alone. Some wanted to rebuild them when I said they were brand new. So I said screw it, picked up some high temp primer, paint and clear coat. It may not look as great as PC, but I will take my time and make them look great. I got some good practice on my JHP pod when I refinished it.

Now for some pics...

Front caliper
Bicycle part Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Tool

Safebrake kit
Font Wood Art Jewellery Fashion accessory

Rear calipers (2010 Camaro SS) and pads
Wood Tool Automotive exterior Handgun holster Hardwood

Raybestos slotted performance rotors
Packing materials Box Plastic wrap Plastic Paper product

Getting closer to install day.

Reactions: Westphal and Glynn

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
10,858 Posts
I'm curious as to how well those rotors are made too. I've looked at those raybestos ones for some other cars.

Wish Wagner would make a set with some slots in them.

·
Seriously?
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Did some homework on the rotors and they got some real positive comments about quality and actual usage. I have the Raybestos Element3 rotors and pads on my other 3 cars and they are solid. I tried to pick a pretty good set of pads and rotors without going over the top, since I don't drive the car that much. Slotted rotors were recommended to me over anything else. The dam front ones were a $100 a pop while the rears were $50 a pop.

·
Seriously?
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Couple of updates... Rock Auto shipped me the wrong front rotors. I went to the garage Wednesday morning on the way to work to pick the rotors up to take them to the machine shop. The hub bore needs to be opened up 4mm or so. Something told me to double check the parts one more time, and I am glad I did. The rotors I received were off 1 digit in the part number. I jumped on Rock Auto and got that all sorted out and the new rotors will deliver one day this coming week.

In the meantime, I started painting the calipers. The rears are done. Won't get to the front ones for a couple of weeks.

Paint Automotive design Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Font

Shoe Product Automotive design Fashion Bag

The first one is completely done and ready to bolt on. The 2nd one will cure over night tonight and be good to go in the morning.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Oh good you got the later rears with the mounting tabs clearanced. Only one of mine was like that so I had to cut more of the dust shield away on the other side. Looks awesome.

·
Seriously?
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Oh good you got the later rears with the mounting tabs clearanced. Only one of mine was like that so I had to cut more of the dust shield away on the other side. Looks awesome.
Not gonna lie... your video series on your install inspired this. As luck would have it, I went for the Camaro rear calipers because Rock Auto was out of stock on 1 of the Caddy rear calipers. I'm approaching this like you did... this is what it may have looked like had GM put these brakes on the GTO from the factory.

Reactions: evsnova74
21 - 40 of 54 Posts