LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
HPT Street Tuner
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
is the stock one good enough, or would i better installing an aftermarket one?? my shop would start my cam installation tomorrow, and since they would be working on the engine i thought of getting an aftermaket one, i remember Katec is making one for the c5-r corvette, i wonder if that one would fit on our engines??, or maybe the new era double roller timing chain?? or any other recommendation??

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've had a hard time finding a good double roller LS2 timing chain. Only single rollers seem to be available. I'm not sure why.

·
HPT Street Tuner
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
602 Posts
Kewl. Good news about the double roller timing chain.

The difference between the double and single roller is kind of explained by looking at a bicycle chain. A double roller chain has two chains that are connected and the sprockets are also doubled up. Whereas a single roller just has a wider single chain.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The Katech timing chain is awesome thats what I am running. Yes their timing chain is used in the c5r race motor with no failures so I trust it.

·
Old Guys Rule
3,076 Posts
I too went with the Katech...

·
HPT Street Tuner
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can i use the katech in the ls2 engine??

·
HPT Street Tuner
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
or better, do i need a katech timing chain???, do i need a new timing chain at all???

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you are low mileage you can definatly get away with not changing it as from what I understand the LS2 chain is better than the Ls1.

·
HPT Street Tuner
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have 15k miles.

·
Old Guys Rule
3,076 Posts
BlueGoat06 said:
or better, do i need a katech timing chain???, do i need a new timing chain at all???
changing the chain, requires removing the oil pump. My point is it will add additional cost to your cam change. with 15,000 miles you should be OK.

I would just evaluate your driving habits, or how you anticipate you will be driving once the new cam is installed. If you are an occaisional romper I wouldn't bother with the swap. On the other hand if you flog the car consistently changing the chain now would be relatively cheap insurance.

·
I go slow now.
884 Posts
I replaced my 44,000 LS1 chain with a LS2 timing set. I have had no problems and I beat on the car pretty good. It is smart to replace the chain and sprocket at the same time. They have certain wear patterns. Problems could arise if only one piece is replaced. I would keep the stock LS2 chain.

·
Tom Cruise use ur witchcraft
1,670 Posts
I actually got my double roller for my 403 LS2 from Mike at New Era Performance which is a sponsor on here he gave me a great deal.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
I've been using the Comp Cams single roller timing set on the LS2 blocks. It features a pre-stretched Reynolds chain. Strong as a SOB...

Rollmaster is coming out with their own LS2 double roller timing sets very soon. I have them coming in on my next stocking order. Billet steel sprockets, nitrided, Torrington roller bearing and nine adjustments. They will use the same reliable German JWIS chain and not the weaker Roll-on chain.

Let y'all know as soon as they clear customs.

Ed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts