LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in tire pressure suggestions (other than those of the mfr). The max. pressure stamped on the BFGs is 44 (or maybe 45) psi. I forget the mfr. recommendations, but believe that those are usually some sort of compromise of handling, safety, comfort, economy (fuel and wear), etc. I'm running 40 psi.

Of course, those who haven't adjusted the pressure since taking delivery are running 60-70 psi. Shoot, as I was deflating mine to 40 psi, I began to worry that those poor Australians might suffocate by the time the '04 Goat production ends.

When I initially measured the pressure, the gauge read 55. After I released 5 seconds' worth, it still read 55. I let out some more, still 55. Thought the gauge was defective until I realized that 55 was the top end for the gauge, so I'm not sure how much was in there.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I'm running the 35 / 35 cold suggested on the door frame label.
Dan

·
4L60E+moded ls1+saudi = bad
710 Posts
since I have 245/40/17's i'm running 40/40< suggested by Pirelli

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm running 43psi. I had two tires above 55psi. I took a 3hr. trip on those inflations!~!! Before I read the thread about the over inflation... I wonder what the psi really was in the tires after being on the HWY driving??? Cos

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Tire pressures

When asked, Art Spong (GTO Program Manager) replied with 30# for the best wear and service, 35# for loaded car. In my experience, I like the firmer ride at 35# all the time, and the tendency of the tires to waddle a bit or feel mushy in hard turns is gone, so 35# for me by preference. Too early to see wear patterns.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Old Goat said:
When asked, Art Spong (GTO Program Manager) replied with 30# for the best wear and service, 35# for loaded car. In my experience, I like the firmer ride at 35# all the time, and the tendency of the tires to waddle a bit or feel mushy in hard turns is gone, so 35# for me by preference. Too early to see wear patterns.
He said, "30# for the best wear and service"?

Since I drive pretty conservatively, this is what I'm looking for. But, can this be correct? Is anybody running 30#?

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
It gets pretty hot in AZ in summer. I can imagine the road surface temps are probably approaching 200 degrees. In summer I will run 30 psi for 4 mos (May-Sep) then 35 psi the rest of the year.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I'm running 35~36# all around. I wouldn't run anything less because I tend to take corners hard and at 30# there would be too much tire roll on the rim.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
desertgoat said:
It gets pretty hot in AZ in summer. I can imagine the road surface temps are probably approaching 200 degrees. In summer I will run 30 psi for 4 mos (May-Sep) then 35 psi the rest of the year.
Good point, DG, my 40# inflation is probably too high for the Phoenix summers. However, I would bet that tire heat is as much a function of sidewall flexing as outdoor and highway temps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts