LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
GoatRun...what's that????
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellas, I need some help/advice here. I went on a LONG trip up to the Russian River last weekend and during the 1k mile escapade I was parking in an area with little light on the curb side. Needless to say there was a super low curb maybe 3 inches high that I didn't see and scratched the edge of my rim pretty bad as well as took a decent chunk of tire with it too. I am extremely careful about taking care of my baby well as I know all of you are too and this one hurts. :banghead:

My 2 questions/concerns are:

1. Can the rim be fixed? If so, is it cheaper to do that or just to buy a new one?

2. Has the strength of the tire been compromised? At high speeds or under hard acceleration is the tire more likely to blow out?

I will post a pic as soon as I can but for now any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. I am really bummed about this and want to get it taken care of asap.

Thanks fellas!

·
email for pics
742 Posts
LS2Greg said:
Ok fellas, I need some help/advice here. I went on a LONG trip up to the Russian River last weekend and during the 1k mile escapade I was parking in an area with little light on the curb side. Needless to say there was a super low curb maybe 3 inches high that I didn't see and scratched the edge of my rim pretty bad as well as took a decent chunk of tire with it too. I am extremely careful about taking care of my baby well as I know all of you are too and this one hurts. :banghead:

My 2 questions/concerns are:

1. Can the rim be fixed? If so, is it cheaper to do that or just to buy a new one?

2. Has the strength of the tire been compromised? At high speeds or under hard acceleration is the tire more likely to blow out?

I will post a pic as soon as I can but for now any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. I am really bummed about this and want to get it taken care of asap.

Thanks fellas!
pics and i will let you know

·
Belch
943 Posts
Rule of thumb is that the wheel can be fixed. Wheel Techniques in Campbell, CA does it all the time. Regarding the tire, can only tell with a picture. If you tore off an outside piece of tread, then no biggie. Something down into the sidewall -- get a new one.

·
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a pic of the curb crash and chunk of missing tire. To give you an idea of the depth of the missing rubber, it basically sits flush with the rest of the tire instead of the being raised. I will take a measurement of the depth tomorrow as I'm about to head out for the night.

·
Belch
943 Posts
Yeah, the wheel can definitely be fixed. As for the tire, don't sweat it. Doesn't look to be a problem to me. If it's bugging you for cosmetic reasons, you could remount it with the blem on the inside -- would require two tires to be remounted though as I believe the factory rubber is directional.

Not sure where you are in California, but check http://www.fixrim.com. Don't know their work offhand -- but one of their trucks always drives by when I'm out on my morning walk.

Good luck.

·
All Motor 11 Second Club
1,347 Posts
Transwheel in indiana does great work. I have toured their facilities all over the midwest/east as they are a client if mine.

They have a 48 hour turnarround.

transwheel.com

·
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am in So California. fixrim.com is about $129 to fix the rim. I will look into it more. Thanks for the info fellas. Also, I DO drive her pretty hard occassionally and am concerned that at top speed or anywhere near 160mph the tire could give with that deep of a gouge. Am I just being overly concerned? I know when drag racing, the tire can become mis-shapen, at least the drag radials do when you watch the drag racers on TV. Just want some piece of mind!

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
I used fixrim to repair some C5 rims. They came out great.

Make sure you give them the paint code and I dropped off the rims with no tires mounted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts